Sittercity Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
CEO

1. I cared for three children for four years.

Former Employee - Nanny in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Nanny in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Sittercity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working with children is learning to be patient and responsible.

Cons

The only downside nannying is not obtaining legitimate experience for corporate jobs.

Great technology company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Sittercity

Pros

Yoga, pilates, healthy snacks and free food on Wednesday are great perks but what I really like about Sittercity is the opportunity to work with an amazing group of people committed to build valuable products. As part of the technology team I've been able to grow my skills while working on very interesting challenges in the child care industry. We have a diverse, energetic and collaborative environment where we respect and trust each other to get things done, we are empowered to explore different technologies and bring new ideas to the table which keeps me engaged and highly motivated. I value the company's support for training and conferences. I am happy to be part of this company and very excited about the future!

Cons

Continuous change of direction causing projects to be abandoned.

Advice to Management

Analyze initiatives carefully before allocating resources, a few projects have been started and abandoned due to the lack of direction.

My experience working for this company has been great. It is a super collaborative, high energy, and innovative.

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Sittercity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has a great attitude and passion for what we are doing. The project I'm working on is exciting, innovative and I love every minute of it. It is also an environment where you are encouraged to learn and explore new ideas and opportunities to make things better. There is unlimited PTO, work from home Fridays, and compensation is great.

Cons

Sometimes things aren't always communicated with everyone in a timely manner, but people are always conscious of and working towards better communication

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome.

5. Amazing

Former Employee - Nanny in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Nanny in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Sittercity

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful jobs! fast and easy, it filters through so you can get the right person your looking for!

Cons

YA, that not enough people have joined!

6. Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sittercity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great work/life balance, and a real opportunity to grow by working on new and interesting things. Agile shop that practices TDD and has a real commitment to writing solid, supportable software. Also working towards being a true polyglot shop, which is exactly what I want. Clear technology plans for the future and some real, demonstrable progress on improving our tech stack in recent months. I am excited about the future as far as technology goes. Compensation is great, free lunch every Wednesday, and a great culture in the office. I wasn't around during what most of the previous reviews have mentioned...all I see now is a development process that works and generally happy product owners. Wonder if the reason it is better now is because all of these negative, angry people are gone...

Cons

Lack of clear direction from upper management. We hear a lot of talk about how things will go without really seeing those steps. Feels like we back into decisions instead of having a firm direction. Sometimes those decisions are good! But it would be nice to have firm, decisive leadership. We've also inherited a relatively rough tech stack. It's stable but it needs a lot of love. From what I hear things are a lot better nowadays then two years ago but we have a lot of work to do. I personally like that challenge.

Advice to Management

If you truly believe the grand rhetoric then invest big in the company. We need a bigger staff and we need to take some risks. We hear every few weeks about these great big plans that we are going to pursue but nothing ever really takes shape. Push! You have a great team that is ready to go along for the ride.

Great company great people

I worked at Sittercity

Pros

People are friendly and will help you learn . Company lunch every wed. Work from home Friday. Nice view from office.

Cons

People don't talk to each other much . Not very close co workers unlike other small agency. But it could be good if you like to work in a quiet place.

Terrible Company

I worked at Sittercity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None - None - None - None, unless if you do not want to get any work done, then it's perfect.

Cons

Poor leadership - where all supervision is focused on hiding non performance.

Advice to Management

Get it together, hire real professionals.

Laid back place not a lot of work done

I worked at Sittercity

Pros

Team lunches, free healthy snacks, exercise classes, company outings, and random work happy hours.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. They never meet deadlines. Took forever to launch the product. Wasted so much money on outside developers.

Advice to Management

Fun environment, but there is no incentive to do hard work. Light a fire under employees, and have some rules. You need to hire people that know what they are doing.

Directionless

I worked at Sittercity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home fridays, nice people. If you don't like to work too hard or be accountable, this is for you.

Cons

No direction or growth potential for the company. It is not profitable and there is no plan in place to get there. CEO is more of a snake oil salesman rather than a leader or visionary.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO and his family and friends he's filled the company with, and run a lean but profitable company.

Sittercity has poor senior management and is inefficient at bringing new products to market.

I worked at Sittercity

Pros

They attempt to have a fun culture.

Cons

Very unorganized company; no formal performance review process, too many office politics, terrible/unqualified upper management, and lack of innovation and resources to bring new products and ideas to the market.

RSS Feed </> Embed