Situs

Add Photos

D. Keith Johnson

A Growing, Vibrant Company

Commercial Real Estate Analyst - Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFrom what I have seen at Situs, they are a company intent on being a leader in their industry. The company has been very profitable the past 2 years and has made a few strategic acquisitions to expand the business. They offer in-house training in the areas of professional education and self-development. I see a lot of similarities in this area with the Big 4 accounting firm where I previously worked. I have read the previous reviews and don't see the management dysfunction noted by some. In fact, the management works very interactively in setting up other internal groups with client leads. Management incentivizes marketing professionals to bring work to internal groups outside of their immediate specialties. I agree with others that the benefits are excellent. The compensation rewards high performers, so I can see where low performers might be frustrated with a merit based pay structure. If you are willing to work hard and advance your professional skills, Situs is a good place to work.

ConsManagement is extremely busy as they are continually focused on bringing in new business and meeting client deadlines. This is an area where management needs to be proactive, though I do see efforts to initiate dialogue. I find management is willing to spend time if I initiate the conversation.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow the business, but don't lose sight of your employee's contributions.

A sinking ship. Do not get on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe review below did give me a nice laugh because it is obvious that it was not written by an employee.

ConsThe company is in the process of outsourcing many positions to Robbins, North Carolina including that of a Managing Director position. You will only make it in this company if you are part of the in-crowd. You are brought in significantly below market and you will be lucky to get a 2% increase after one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementSitus managements needs to spend less time posting positive reviews on Glassdoor like the one below, and instead focus on retaining their employees.

Worst ever management who really does not care about work life balance.

Underwriting (Former Employee)

ProsNone really, none really, none really

ConsBackstabbing management, long hours, no appreciation for a job done well. Absolutely no training at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire each other as soon as possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Majority of Posters are Right - Do NOT Work Here or Do Business With Them!"

Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAs the majority of posters note, there really are no pros. Some mention training, but that only exists if a new and substantial project occurs. Otherwise, there is very little support for training, belonging to trade organizations. etc. We have seen the company refuse to support professional organizations that their own employees and managers are part of. We agree that merit-based pay employees are probably paid fair. However, salary-based employees are, and must be, paid below market. Why? Because one of our main marketing points to clients, and the public, is that we perform our services in America for a rate cheaper than competitive companies. And we do that by paying less! It isn't just some overhead savings in Robbins - it is across all offices below market pay. The number of people who confirm such on this site are not making things up - us current employees know that for a fact.

ConsAgain, the large number of posts accurately detail all of the cons. Poor management from the Managing Director level and up is simply a fact that current and former employees can confirm. The backstabbing is so bad we have made a file of quotes because it is simply funny at this point. One Executive Managing Director tells us not to listen to another EMD '...because she is old school and doesn't want to change.' Someone above the EMD level says don't listen to the first EMD because he wants to be in charge of everything and micro-manage it, but he won't be in charge of this area. In accordance with Glassdoors policy, we are not mentioning names or initials. We will simply continue to collect our senior management quotes of the week or month. Also, one major problem involves being truthful and ethical with each other and clients and the public. We tell our employees and the public (see our recent video on our web site) we onshore. What we aren't saying is we also offshore to the same places our competitors do. It is difficult to look people in the face and try to brag about our 'onshoring' in Robbins when we are no better than any other American company that uses offshoring for even cheaper labor. For those reading this website, you really need to look at how many dozens of employees have raised significant issues and recognize there is fire here, not just smoke. Lastly, a recent post mentioned a huge issue - the expected number of hours to be worked. The company fully expects its people to work 60 or 70 or more hours per week for the below market salary. That might be fine if you were on merit-based pay. But, when you are making $30,000 per year base salary with no bonus and minor raise possibilities, the expectations are beyond what is good for the employee and his/her family. Hard work is fine....but that is not what Situs is demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe rest have said it....sell out. You falsely work with each other as if you get along. Why continue to do that? Just to get your high salaries? Working to get business makes you no different than any other manager in America. You lose as many as you win. There is no magical formula at Situs. It really is time to look in the mirror and decide to move on.

Terrible Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training for your next job (which will be soon).

ConsSenior management doesn't have time or doesn't care to help you along. Esentially, you will be fired for trying to learn on the job. Unless you are willing to work for little pay (way below industry standards), this isn't the place to work. Senior managment rarely discusses anything with you, unless you are underperforming (which is generally a monthly coversation). WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT WORK HERE. Managment talks of changing the work environment but it is empty/hollow talk. Nothing will change here until all senior management staff is rolled over. My advice, if you recieve an offer, select unemployment over this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire!

Great learning opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWhile working for Situs you get to see all types of real estate assets and work for several different clients. In addition, you will receive more PTO than you could imagine.

ConsCan be stressful at times. Most of the time you are waiting on information from clients and they can be unresponsive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake salaries more competitive.

Good company with continuous job training

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Robbins, NC

ProsCompany provides continuous training opportunities.

ConsSalary is not competitive with similar positions in other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary should match position and expectations

Robbins – You get out what you put in and more.

ProsSitus is great place to learn and be a part of team. Every day I come to work, I have a new challenge and co-workers beside me that are there to help. There are not a lot of opportunities in this area to use the finance degree I have. I like the area and want to stay in the area. It is great to be with a company that really cares about their staff and their personal growth.

ConsThe expectations are high at Situs and it can be difficult to keep up. I have found that I get out of the company what I put in. If I put in extra hours I feel appreciated, the faster I learn the faster I grow within the company. Senior management sometimes appears too busy to talk; sometimes you have to seek them out to speak with them. If you do approach them, they make sure to take the time to listen and give you their attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is sometimes hard to approach upper management. It would be great if they spent more time on the floor with the staff so the staff does not have to seek them out.

Lack of effective leadership could be the issue?

ProsTime off and benefits competitive (excluding compensation), Houston office hosts nice employee parties during holidays and special events.

ConsHave worked here about a year, still not sure what my job title is (I have been moved into 3 different positions unsolicited) and have mastered none of them (hard to learn something effectively and then be moved to new position without notice constantly). It is as if management just comes up with a new job title at the drop of a hat to show a client that we "do that" when maybe the company has never "done that". Management very competitive with each other and often that creates situations where there is perceived backstabbing. Have also witnessed big hiring events (in 2 locations specifically) and then within a few months lay offs of current employees (from what I have been told be employees that have worked for this company for a couple of years this is normal for Situs). Of course the work force changes as often as the management changes which is continuous (this may be a cycle in only the Houston and Robbins offices as these 2 offices have the seemingly largest turnover). Both of these office run ads for jobs daily, many times newly created job titles that never come to fruition yet people will be hired for those jobs then moved into a different position, strange hiring practices. Lousy work environment between offices and there are many instances where one office will completely undermine another creating huge obstacles in trying to complete assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps the true leaders/owners should take a good look at the hiring practices and management styles of their offices as a whole. The majority of the employees seem to be quite miserable and looking for employment continually. A good portion of the discontentment comes from the inside bickering and backstabbing between offices and a lot of that is from management (it appears they pit people against each other for self serving motives).

Don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good experience and some bad. I really don't know what to say. Try harder all of you.

ConsSome good experience and some bad. I really don't know what to say. Try harder all of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome good experience and some bad.

Worked for Situs? Contribute to the Community!