Situs

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.7

D. Keith Johnson

Pros
  • Some can really learn a lot if you position yourself around the right individuals (in 3 reviews)

• Work closely with senior management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • We will simply continue to collect our senior management quotes of the week or month (in 8 reviews)

• No comp time offered despite expectation of long nights and weekends (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great job

I have been working at Situs

Pros

-friendly people
    -small company allows voice to be heard

Cons

-not much upward movement
    -unpredictable days

discuss employees career objectives

Excellent growing company

Current Contractor - CCAR Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - CCAR Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Situs as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, fair hourly contract rates

Cons

not steady work, mediocre project management

increase project oversight

A Company full of discrimination and retaliation!!!!

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Situs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some very talented individuals that work here. You can learn a lot from those that are willing to provide you insight and cross-training. PTO and benefits are pretty good as well. Good to be here for a short stint then off to a much better firm you should go.

Cons

The worst thing about Situs is their management. This is a place where they put without a doubt the wrong people in management roles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the work I did, most of the employees at this location are friendly and helpful. There are a few bad seeds that are growing weeds and cannot be treated, they spread their ugliest venom if you dare cross them. Don't think you question authority on their actions. if you are the minority they will find a way to rid you by all means necessary. Retaliation, and forms of discrimination will soon follow.

Not only does it exist at the senior management level but the executive team as well. The executive team needs to realize who they have in management and what harm those individuals will cause the company in the long run. Hire senior managers who are not looking to retaliate against lower leveled employees and discriminate the minority.

Neutral

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The business is not too bad.

Cons

The business is not very exciting.

Good for area

I worked at Situs full-time

Pros

1) Good starter company to begin a career. Some can really learn a lot if you position yourself around the right individuals.
    2) Robbins does not have any other jobs of this caliber.
    3) The original Robbins senior mgmt of the office was amassing. Really cared for the employees, had great foresight and really knew the business.

Cons

1) They pay is inline for the immediate market; however that market is below average compared to the state. If you are not tied to the community, much higher pay can be gained by driving an hour in most directions.
    2) The environment can be very political. Playing this game is just as important as actual job skills for advancement.
    3) The office has really good intentions on training, but struggle finding an effective way to train resulting in some new hires having a more difficult time than others.
    4) Overtime is expected, but not always appropriately compensated.

There are some really great things about this company, but there are also some real areas for improvement as can be seen through these reviews. While some of these seem to be disgruntled employees that are using this as a venue for revenge, others do have some good points. Senior management should reach out to the ground employees and lower management for more feedback. The people directly under you got there by playing the political game and know speaking up comes with a price. Those at the lower level tend to be more honest. However, they are scared as they have seen others who have spoken out have their careers ended or hurt labeled as not a "team player". Either allow them to speak without fear or make it anonymous, but hear them out and listen. Don't just disregard them. Regurdless if you agree with them or not, it is how they feel and they are the ones completing the work going to the client. What they think is important.

Growing company offering career development and opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Situs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly which is opening up new opportunites to develop.
    So far my manager has been very supportive in introducing me to the company and my role and integrating me into the team.
    There appears to have been a big investment in training that is being rolled out.
    Benefits are excellent, vacation days are higher than most and the work life balance is much better than my previous employers.

Cons

It's clear there have been some structure changes and management changes with that. Also as the company is growing there are lots of new employees that they are trying to interegrate. As with many growing companies the direction can be a little confusing but the leadership and the CEO appear to be as transparant as they can about this.

Keep communicating

Great place to gain experience in evaluating real estate transactions

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Situs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Situs is very, very active in the CMBS business as a service provider to virtually all of the major firms active in the CMBS business chain (originators, issuers and investors) as well as a large number of commercial real estate related clients away from CMBS. As an employee you will have the ability to work on a large number of transactions.

Cons

Much of the work is desktop underwriting so while it is a great place to gain experience, you may find that after you are competent in the work you would prefer to work with a real estate investment firm, origination platform, brokerage firm, etc... in a broader real estate role.

Poor Management and lack of care for Associates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Situs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO is good.

Cons

Poor support, poor pay lack of culture.

Serious changes are needed before the company simply implodes.

A Growing, Vibrant Company

Current Employee - Commercial Real Estate Analyst - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Real Estate Analyst - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From what I have seen at Situs, they are a company intent on being a leader in their industry. The company has been very profitable the past 2 years and has made a few strategic acquisitions to expand the business. They offer in-house training in the areas of professional education and self-development. I see a lot of similarities in this area with the Big 4 accounting firm where I previously worked. I have read the previous reviews and don't see the management dysfunction noted by some. In fact, the management works very interactively in setting up other internal groups with client leads. Management incentivizes marketing professionals to bring work to internal groups outside of their immediate specialties. I agree with others that the benefits are excellent. The compensation rewards high performers, so I can see where low performers might be frustrated with a merit based pay structure. If you are willing to work hard and advance your professional skills, Situs is a good place to work.

Cons

Management is extremely busy as they are continually focused on bringing in new business and meeting client deadlines. This is an area where management needs to be proactive, though I do see efforts to initiate dialogue. I find management is willing to spend time if I initiate the conversation.

Continue to grow the business, but don't lose sight of your employee's contributions.

A sinking ship. Do not get on.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The review below did give me a nice laugh because it is obvious that it was not written by an employee.

Cons

The company is in the process of outsourcing many positions to Robbins, North Carolina including that of a Managing Director position. You will only make it in this company if you are part of the in-crowd. You are brought in significantly below market and you will be lucky to get a 2% increase after one year.

Situs managements needs to spend less time posting positive reviews on Glassdoor like the one below, and instead focus on retaining their employees.