Six Flags

Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

Six Flags Chairman, President, and CEO James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson
James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson

Pros
  • Being able to communicate with customers and getting in the park for free (in 20 reviews)

• You get free admission to every Six Flags and you get discounts (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • the long hours sometimes you put in 10-12 hr days but other than that its great (in 37 reviews)

• they work you like a slave for minimum wage (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

fun

Pros

experience,free admission, see people , great time , fast paced

Cons

transportaqtion, wage, high heat, rain. mean people

non

Great people, awful employer.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Agawam, MA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Agawam, MA

Pros

Your coworkers will likely be great. Everyone gets along and has fun. The supervisors treat employees well. It's a good first job.

Cons

Terrible pay, no benefits, no overtime pay, company makes employees pay for their own uniform, parking pass, ID, nametag, etc. Security equipment needs replacement: Metal detectors are broken, hand wand metal detectors are severely under-supplied due to old/broken ones.

Treat your employees better and upkeep your equipment.

Okay First Job

Former Employee - Admissions Host  in  Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Host in Valencia, CA

Pros

You'll get meet so many people with different backgrounds and age. Everyone is nice except sometimes the lead can be a pain. The job is really for what you get paid and you get free admission into the park on your days off. After you work 40 hours you also get a buddy pass which lets you bring in a friend into the park for free.

Cons

Too many employees so you don't get many hours. One time i worked 4 hours and then they had me clock out. During summer the weather is horrible! its so hot and its really busy. You will have many rude guests! Also, i don't like the point system they have for employees. After you get you a certain amount of points you will be terminated. You get points for being late, not calling in sick, not showing up. They don't allow facial hair and if try to clock and have facial hair they will not allow you to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but not a career place

Current Employee - Security Guard  in  Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Easy to get hired. Decent scheduling for school.

Cons

Demanding and worked really hard in the summer. No room for much advanacement. Dont stick around this place

Ride Operator

Former Employee - Ride Attendant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Ride Attendant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Set scheduling, Meet a wide variety of people, Free admission to park as long as you work for Six Flags, Good Co-workers

Cons

Very inflexible scheduling, you can not request off and if you need time off then you have to find somebody to take your shift. Some supervisors are flexible and will help you find a replacement. However, if no one is willing to take your shift, you have to work it or you will loose your job.

Allow employees to request time off

It's an okay job if you're 16 years old

Current Employee - Ride Operator  in  Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Ride Operator in Valencia, CA

Pros

Free admission
    Employee events
    A job

Cons

Not enough pay
    leads play favorites
    Discrimination
    Too far
    Not at all flexible with schedule

How about paying more for ride operators? That would be nice, we risk our lives on the safety rides, I figure we should get paid more. Not to mention dealing with vomit on a daily basis. And be more flexible with schedules.

Decent for a First Job, Not Long Term employment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Coworkers generally were pretty cool, guests are fun to interact with. You are basically guaranteed a job as long as you meet grooming requirements.

Cons

Too many managers show favoritism when entering the hours into schedules as well as during promotions. Hard to get promoted unless you're filling the space from the mass amounts of people who quit or get fired every season.

There needs to be more check ins from upper management to ensure people don't abuse their power.

Not the Best Career Move

Pros

Working at a theme park, free admission to all Six Flags properties, unique opportunities that you will not get at other places of employment, every day is not the same as in any guest service position.

Cons

Where do I begin. It is next to impossible to make a career out of Six Flags.

You have a Full Time salaried staff that work in the back offices. The you have your "seasonal leadership." I put seasonal in quotations, because it is not seasonal. Most of the "management/supervisors" of the park are labeled seasonal even though they work 11-12 months out of the year. Seasonal leadership also for the most part works 45+ hours a week. But here is the kicker. . .the seasonal leadership is labeled "Seasonal" so somehow Six Flags is exempt from paying them overtime or offering them benefits. These are not contract employees, they work year round. Six Flags makes these "seasonal" employees process out in November or December, then the re-process them back in after the first of the year. It is also very hard to make it from Seasonal into a salaried role. It's liking trying to be drafted up from the minor leagues.

For the front line staff members, they all start at minimum wage. Before the staff even gets a paycheck, Six Flags forces them to buy a uniform that costs around $40. If you do not have the $40 that day, the make you sign a promissory note stating that you will repay. They used to draft the amount our of your paycheck, but that takes the wages below minimum wage. So in the end, a young worker ends up spending their whole first day of work paying for a company issued uniform. If you happen to be in a water park area, your uniform will cost close to $100.

The turn over rate at the parks for seasonal employment is extremely high. With low wages, below average training, and little chance for advancement the parks cannot attract or retain great talent.

I know that Six Flags has done well making the investors happy of late. Management is adding new capital to the parks every year. I would say that you need to learn how to value your employees, treat them with respect, and create an environment where people want to grow with the company. Right now there are too many people that are too comfortable with the status quo. There is no employee culture at the parks, the seasonal employment is a constant revolving door. You should look at other leaders in the industry on how they create an environment that attracts top talent.

Given the environment, Six Flags parks should be striving to be one of the Best Places To Work in every location. Due to the compensation, work conditions, etc. it is not exactly on anyone's radar as a top place to work.

Bugs Bunny

Pros

Get to be outside. Concern for my health.

Cons

Dirty behind the scenes area.

From a vendor's POV

Former Employee - Vendor  in  Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Vendor in Jackson, NJ

Pros

I cannot comment on anything other than environment, as my scheduling and pay were handled by my company, and not Six Flags. However, I did have an opportunity to observe my coworkers. Overall, people seemed to greatly enjoy their jobs. While attending the mandatory orientation during the summers, I found that the vast majority of employees were excited and actively having fun. For a business in the entertainment industry, this is paramount. In the area I worked in (the now defunct Exploration Station in the Safari) the trainers were a delight to not only work with but simply to be around.

Cons

Again, most of the cons are against my own company, rather than Six Flags. I did have a disagreement with a manager from the main park because I had my phone at my station (it was mandatory for me to keep it per my company in case of emergencies.) Other than that... it can get very hot sometimes during the summers.

Establish with management some kind of system to work with vendors who need to do something that is normally out of protocol; in my position, the situation was sometimes life-or-death, and I needed to make sure that my boss and I could reach each other if something happened. Additionally, I feel that removing Exploration Station was a mistake. It had great potential as a learning experience, and needed more exposure. No one knew it was there.

Worked for Six Flags? Contribute to the Community!