Six Flags

Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

Six Flags Chairman, President, and CEO James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson
James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson

Pros
  • I could get into the park for free on my off days (in 28 reviews)

• Get free admission into the park and a slight discount when you visit (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • the long hours sometimes you put in 10-12 hr days but other than that its great (in 40 reviews)

• This is not a job for experienced professionals, unless you don't mind making minimum wage (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great experience

Former Employee - Rides Operator in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Arlington, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loved that we got a free season pass

Cons

It got really hot working rides consistently for 4-5 hours with no break.

none

Best Job Ever ! Discovery Kingdom

Current Employee - Ticket Seller in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Ticket Seller in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly. Great, friendly coworkers! Really nice managers. Fast paced work so hours go by very fast.

Cons

Nothing. This is an amazing job! Honestly, the one flaw is that it's hot but that isn't the company's fault.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Intern at Six Flags

Current Employee - Corporate Alliances Fulfillment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Alliances Fulfillment Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Six Flags as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good perks: free park tickets and free handouts. Unfortunately I can't think of anything else positive to say.

Cons

Terrible work environment. The entire department was incredibly disorganized, coworkers clearly didn't care for each other, and interns particularly were treated like awfully and my boss would openly admit it.

Treat your employees better or sooner or later the talent will all leave. Frankly I' amazed that this isn't happening sooner

Not a carrer

Current Employee - Information Systems Technician in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Information Systems Technician in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and fast paced work place. Strong challenges on a day to day basis.

Cons

Poor pay for time and skills. No room for growth or promotion. New technologies not frequently put in park IT staffs hands.

Was okay

Former Employee - Retail in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Retail in Marietta, GA

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free admission. A good job for teenagers

Cons

During summer so it was really hot. Your team leader is just a kid so sometimes they don't know what they're doing

My official job title was cashier but I pretty much did everything

Former Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, flexible hours, and a very fun environment!

Cons

Rude customers, favoritism, and closing

Treat everyone the same!

It was ok.

Former Employee - Flash Pass in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Flash Pass in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Six Flags full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Season Passes! Team oriented atmosphere! Managers were great! (In Flass Pass, at least.)

Cons

Thy don't let you sit down during your shift at all. Ever. Unless you have a verified injury or disability. Which is cool and all, but... let me tell you of all the times I woke up in the middle of the night with extremely painful muscle spasms in my legs. (Hint, it happened A LOT)

Be cinder to your employees well being, please. You guys are doing great otherwise.

Good for experience, employee culture and moral pretty low

Current Employee - Show Tech in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Show Tech in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work at Magic Mountain primarily for the experience as a show tech. I've learned a lot about theatrical lighting, set construction, and sound among other things. It's a good intro to the world of theater and theme parks if that's what you're in to. I personally love the theme park atmosphere because it's usually fast paced and in my job I'm not constantly doing the same thing over and over again. I've been able to learn a lot and actually take in other people's leadership styles and really take some of those styles and values as my own. There's always a benefit to having a job, even if the job isn't the greatest thing on planet Earth; you will always learn something if you open your mind to it.

Cons

Management is all old hat, especially upper management. There's a saying that you won't get promoted unless someone dies and it's actually pretty true. Promotions are hard to come by and the amount of money that supervisors make is no incentive to be promoted anyway. The company culture is one of inferiority, especially being at Magic Mountain where the competition is Universal, Disney, and Cedar Fair (the other big players in the theme park market). The absolute biggest problem with the company is that it doesn't have the financial flexibility to do anything or make any product of true value. This problem then trickles down to the employees as Six Flags uses all that they have to 'invest' in the parks and not really invest in employees at all. It also doesn't help that their main demographic is frugal teenager locals who are lured in by cheap season passes and spend next to nothing in the park.

My advice would be to 1) invest more in your employees and 2) balance corporate investments properly. What I mean by that is stop putting in a $20m roller coaster one year and not leaving any other money to invest in park infrastructure or the less "sexy" and less marketable things that will actually make a difference in guest experience. Sure, you can't market a new bathroom facility, but old and gross bathrooms are something that will stick with a guest and reflect in their overall opinion of the park.

It's great for a starting job.

Current Employee - Retail- Team Member in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Retail- Team Member in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (less than a year)

Pros

What kept me at this job would be the constant interactions with my co workers. In addition, you receive free tickets and in park discounts.

Cons

Retail can bring up a lot of rude customers. You are also given long hours.

Don't give so many long 10-12 hour shifts to younger team members like myself.

Great for HS Seniors and College Student

I have been working at Six Flags

Pros

You get to see some amazing things as you go through the safari.
    There are 56 different species and you get to watch them for 8 hours everyday.
    The job is very easy

Cons

You're going to work 60 + hours during July and August
    Prepare to give up your summer and weekends
    The job is unchallenging and unrewarding

Communicate with your employees!!!!!!