Six Flags Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

Six Flags Chairman, President, and CEO James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson
James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson

Pros
  • Being able to communicate with customers and getting in the park for free (in 25 reviews)

• Get free admission into the park and a slight discount when you visit (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • the long hours sometimes you put in 10-12 hr days but other than that its great (in 38 reviews)

• For the front line staff members, they all start at minimum wage (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent for a First Job, Not Long Term employment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Six Flags part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers generally were pretty cool, guests are fun to interact with. You are basically guaranteed a job as long as you meet grooming requirements.

Cons

Too many managers show favoritism when entering the hours into schedules as well as during promotions. Hard to get promoted unless you're filling the space from the mass amounts of people who quit or get fired every season.

There needs to be more check ins from upper management to ensure people don't abuse their power.

Not bad, but not a career place

Current Employee - Security Guard in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Decent scheduling for school.

Cons

Demanding and worked really hard in the summer. No room for much advanacement. Dont stick around this place

Not the Best Career Move

I worked at Six Flags full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a theme park, free admission to all Six Flags properties, unique opportunities that you will not get at other places of employment, every day is not the same as in any guest service position.

Cons

Where do I begin. It is next to impossible to make a career out of Six Flags.

You have a Full Time salaried staff that work in the back offices. The you have your "seasonal leadership." I put seasonal in quotations, because it is not seasonal. Most of the "management/supervisors" of the park are labeled seasonal even though they work 11-12 months out of the year. Seasonal leadership also for the most part works 45+ hours a week. But here is the kicker. . .the seasonal leadership is labeled "Seasonal" so somehow Six Flags is exempt from paying them overtime or offering them benefits. These are not contract employees, they work year round. Six Flags makes these "seasonal" employees process out in November or December, then the re-process them back in after the first of the year. It is also very hard to make it from Seasonal into a salaried role. It's liking trying to be drafted up from the minor leagues.

For the front line staff members, they all start at minimum wage. Before the staff even gets a paycheck, Six Flags forces them to buy a uniform that costs around $40. If you do not have the $40 that day, the make you sign a promissory note stating that you will repay. They used to draft the amount our of your paycheck, but that takes the wages below minimum wage. So in the end, a young worker ends up spending their whole first day of work paying for a company issued uniform. If you happen to be in a water park area, your uniform will cost close to $100.

The turn over rate at the parks for seasonal employment is extremely high. With low wages, below average training, and little chance for advancement the parks cannot attract or retain great talent.

I know that Six Flags has done well making the investors happy of late. Management is adding new capital to the parks every year. I would say that you need to learn how to value your employees, treat them with respect, and create an environment where people want to grow with the company. Right now there are too many people that are too comfortable with the status quo. There is no employee culture at the parks, the seasonal employment is a constant revolving door. You should look at other leaders in the industry on how they create an environment that attracts top talent.

Given the environment, Six Flags parks should be striving to be one of the Best Places To Work in every location. Due to the compensation, work conditions, etc. it is not exactly on anyone's radar as a top place to work.

A good, fun place to work; not too bad for a summer job

Former Employee - Host/Ride Operator in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Host/Ride Operator in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Six Flags part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good hours, great management, and a lot of cool events for employees.

Cons

pay isn't that great but the benefits sort of make up for it. Rude guests are few and far in between but when they do show up they make your job difficult. and we had to say have a six flags day when people left. (i hear that this has since been phased out.)

Talk directly to your employees more, not through website surveys. feels more personal and maybe they would feel like their suggestions matter.

A great career builder!!!

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Six Flags full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

you get to train future leaders

Cons

limited funds to get the job done

It was fun

Former Employee - Hostess in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Arlington, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in retail so I was usually in ac.
    You can take other people shifts easily or get other people to take your shifts easily (there is a sheet where people can put up there shift for others to fill in).
    Many hour, including swing shifts, easy to make 3 to 400 dollars a week.
    many young people: you will make lots of friends.
    some or the customers are really funny.
    Food is really good.
    Free admission and buddy passes.
    Advancement.

Cons

Some of the supervisors were really annoying and mean.
    In retail, you didn't get to choose which store you wanted to work in or with who so mos of the times you were just by yourself.
    Sometimes they cut your shifts short.
    Heat.
    Items are really expensive.
    Employee services are really strict (no nail polish, black or white shoes, etc.)

Treat the employees better.

Terrible management

Former Employee - Games Employee in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Games Employee in Springfield, MA

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Making great friends with team members and guests.

Cons

Management/leads have terrible attitudes and are always up on someone. While working there, one lead would just constantly yell at me for every little thing I do, even got me fired for something I didn't do. Not daring to go back and not suggesting anyone to work for games.

Please hire reasonable and kinder leads! Mostly the leads that are women are very rude.

Made a lot of friends, but many horrible supervisors

Former Employee - Lead Ride Operator in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Ride Operator in Arlington, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meet a lot of people, and make a lot of friends. Get in free and can bring someone too. Learn about working with other people

Cons

The pay is really low for what your doing, and they over work you. I had one week where I worked 80 hours, and I feel like they don't even appreciate it. They expect you to never mess up or else they'll demote you. They have a lot of rude supervisors, and they make a big deal about nothing. And whenever someone doesn't show up, they'll make you stay even if you say you no, cause they don't care about anything but themselves

They need to get their workers more than 2 days off a week, and if you request a day off more than 2 weeks in advance you should be able to get that day off, not have to find a replacement. They should get better managerials that actually do their job right, and are nice

Only if you can't get any other job.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Six Flags part-time (more than an year)

Pros

absolutely nothing is good about this company employement wise

Cons

Horrible Management, Foreign Co-workers, Horrible Pay

Hire adults rather than children as managers.
    Actually verify that the exchange program workers, know how to operate a register or speak to customer's before they work
    Either pay employees more for walking miles through the park to get their stations or drive em up to their stand because this job was ridiculous.

Family of Jerks

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Around water, swimming, You can get into the park whenever you want, extra free tickets, everyone is treated as family (sort of).

Cons

Rapid changing schedules, irritable guests, the poorly executed on the job simulated rescues.

Stop focusing on the guests and help us do our job instead of criticizing us.