Six Flags

Six Flags Reviews in Upper Marlboro, MD

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Six Flags Chairman, President, and CEO James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson

James W. P. (Jim) Reid-Anderson

Pros
  • Being able to communicate with customers and getting in the park for free (in 20 reviews)

• You get free admission to every Six Flags and you get discounts (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • the long hours sometimes you put in 10-12 hr days but other than that its great (in 37 reviews)

• they work you like a slave for minimum wage (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

surprising

Hostess (Current Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

Prosthe people are amazing meeting new ones everyday and having a ball!

Consnot enough hours the hear obviously

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure to communicate and built relationships with your team members

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Might just be the Maryland Park

Food Service (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsYou get free access to the park while you are working there. You can bring in a friend for free. After you work 40 hours, you can get up to 4 tickets for free to bring in your family or a group of friends. Discount on food and such when you come in the park.

ConsIt is obvious that this is the first time some of the supervisors have been in position of power. Very unprofessional, don't lift a hand to complain, can't train employees properly. Only making minimum wage. They often hire too many people in one area and so don't call you in for work. When they do call you in for work they may accidentally over staff that day and send you home early. You could work for 10 hours and only get one 30 minute break. A disorganized place to work. When i got my final paycheck after returning to school they forgot to pay me for about 4 hours. I got is resolved but apparently at the Maryland park, it happens a lot to the workers.

Understaffed and under paid.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsGet to work with some great people and guests.

ConsAlways making magic out of nothing. Technical and production staffing is similar to a carnival in the entertainment area.Poorly invested in long term development.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other effective parks about staff development and retention. If the park is managed like a small business with world class expectation, that will continue to run out of good team members and fall apart once again.A park run by a few dedicated people, verses a developed team will create burnout on the few.It's not just about fair pay but more development of the team to lead and invest into the park on and off season. Maybe getting the whole staff to spend one or two days to touch up the paint and back areas would be a good start to the season. A 2-4 lecture with some more power points from departments will only set the stage. More must be done throughout the beginning middle and end as a park and departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gained needed work experience

Cashier (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsMeeting interesting guests from all over the world

ConsHaving hours cut and low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementMore benefits, Better hours, and better options for employees

A good place to learn...

Seasonal Entertainment Supervisor (Current Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

Pros*Big company name
    *Lots of room to learn
    *Always get a chance to try something new
    *Company parties and games
    *Options for 401K and health insurance from paycheck

The great thing about working at Six Flags is that no day is the same. I'm a supervisor for Entertainment, so we always get cool opportunities to start new shows twice a season (spring to summer, summer to Fright Fest), help with concerts, work with the media, and think outside the box on a daily basis. In my first season, I did the following:

1) Produce, direct, and choreograph shows and holiday performances
    6) Sewing up holes and tears in costumes
    7) Laundry
    8) Scheduling employees

And much more!

Our department expects us to pretty much do anything that needs to be done. During the first few weekdays of the park being open, I even helped operate some rides as many of our Rides employees are high-school students and were still in school when we had events during the day. It's my understanding that this isn't something that's practiced at just our park, but at all of the Six Flags parks. Some people may see this as a negative thing, but I think it's great because it makes the job interesting and adds a lot of skills to my resume!

ConsLower pay than some other theme parks
    Some areas of the park need to be updated

As long as you approach this job with a willingness to learn and a positive and bright attitude around guests, you can move up in the ranks and really grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementA fresh coat of paint can go a long way!

Great experience for teens

Retail Manager (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsI was able to get great training in retail and customer service. I was also able to get experience as a retail manager before I was 18. It was a busy environment, which taught me how to work with others to get things done quickly. You get into the park free and there are a lot of team member parties.

ConsManagement is young and can be petty and unprofessional. There is a lot of pressure if you are a young lead/supervisor. The pay is low for all that you do and you have to work long hours (if you are a lead).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to those who are working under you and stay professional.

Dreaming on finding a new job

Retail Associate (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsThe connections and friends you make while working here.

ConsWorking outside in the heat of summer.
    The pay is horrible.
    Expected to work 10am to 10pm with only one 30, 45 or an hour break
    Rude Management
    Under staffed

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to people with respect
    Work on staffing

Flawed

Retail (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsPlenty of hours (almost too many)
    Chance to meet nice people from all over (because of the programs they have internationally)

ConsManagement lacked leadership skills
    Favoritism was abundant so even more incompetent people were in positions of leadership
    Sometimes the breaks would be too long (You were required to take an hour break when you had a four hour shift)
    Nasty/Rude managers

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate who you put in charge and take a closer look at how they treat team members

Great at first, but novelty soon wore off

Host (Former Employee) Upper Marlboro, MD

ProsFree admissions to the park for yourself and one friend.
    Merchandise discounts.
    Recognition for a job well done in the form of red dot rewards.
    Mostly friendly and helpful Senior Managers.
    For the most part, customers were patient and well-mannered.

ConsTerrible points system made it very easy to accumulate the 50 points max you are allowed before you are fired.
    Terrible cash register system makes it incredibly difficult to issue refunds or correct merchandise scans especially if customers are indecisive. I would often wait for minutes with a crowded store for a senior employee to arrive and override cash register errors.
    Certain Upper Level Management members would talk down to employees thus decreasing morale. I felt that I was being unfairly picked on.
    Some communication problems between departments which are supposed to work together.
    Some customers believe they know more about the inner workings of the company than employees and believe they are entitled to special treatment often because employees are younger than them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease watch how some Upper Level Management employees talk to lower level employees. Do not berate employees who are trying to constantly adapt to new environments on minimal training.

Make sure all employees are up to date on procedures between other departments so no confusion is created especially during a busy workday.

Update the cash register system. It is far too sensitive and rigid. It regularly slows down customer transactions which sometimes results in revenue loss and creates frustration on both ends.

Grace period for returning from breaks. It's hard to get through a crowded park of guests without running especially when you are constantly stopped for directions. You are penalized if you are a minute late.

Worked for Six Flags? Contribute to the Community!