Skagit Valley Casino Reviews

1. Great experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bow, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bow, WA

I have been working at Skagit Valley Casino

Pros

The other employees I work with are very friendly which makes coming to work easy and fun. The bosses I have worked with have been fair. The benefits are much better than what I have received from other employers. Overall, it is fun work with great people to work with.

Cons

Hiring new employees takes a long time because it is a gaming business.

Advice to Management

Give employees a little more positive feedback and more raises.

2. Good pay, but management leaves a lot to be desired.

Current Employee - Gaming Supervisor in Bow, WA
    Current Employee - Gaming Supervisor in Bow, WA

I have been working at Skagit Valley Casino full-time

Pros

Entry pay is great compared to most other companies in the area. A majority of the people that you get to work with are great individuals. Benefits are more or less on par with other casinos. Employees get a substantial discount on gasoline. Employee dining room menu pricing is reasonable.

Cons

Management is very hands off and uninvolved with their direct subordinates. If you are doing something wrong, it will only be addressed when a co-worker brings it to their attention as a problem. There is almost no direct daily involvement other than asking them to make the occasional decision. Any sort of proactive coaching, outside of yearly appraisals is non-existent. My analogy is that they are like parents whose only interest in their children is when another sibling come running in and says "he hit me!" If Most gaming managers are more interested in telling that you screwed up, rather than discussing it, or coaching employees. Positive feedback is rare (partly due to the fact that they are never around to see it).

Favoritism is a huge issue and work can eventually become very monotonous. If you are not a favorite of the right people than promotions and learning opportunities are near impossible. It has also been my experience that disputes will more commonly be resolved in the favor of the more well-liked employee, regardless of circumstance or fact.

Increases in pay only come in the form of a "cost of living adjustment" and any requests for raises will be outright denied. Cost of living adjustments are usually around 2% to 4% of your current wage and usually happen every 4 years or more. Therefore there is no incentive to encourage people to go above and beyond. Also, company advertises 401k matching, but I have only seen this happen once in the many years that I have worked there.

The skills that I have been able to learn (and the opportunities of learning that I've been denied) over the entire course of my employment has left me with skills that do not translate well to nearly any other job except for the same position in another casino.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in recognizing and developing employees that want to do more than what's expected.

This place is going down in flames

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Bow, WA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Bow, WA

I worked at Skagit Valley Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What pros? Before casino management switched the rewards program around this was a great place to work. Some of the f&b managers are great though and coworkers were great as well.

Cons

Ha where to begin. The business is dying because casino management is greedy and completely screwed their faithful customers. When business started heading down hill they went right at the throat of employees, saying bartenders are overpouring and losing the profitability of our liquor sales, saying employees in the rest of the F&B department are not following any procedures as far as food safety (not true) and yadda yadda yadda. They cant admit that they screwed themselves over.

Advice to Management

Good luck on your job hunt. The way your new rewards program is going, raising prices for everything, rationing liquor, everything is digging your professional graves. Restore the old programs and quit blaming employees for everything and you mayyyyy make it.

Be sure you check to make sure the status you are told is what is on your paperwork

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Employee in Bow, WA
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Employee in Bow, WA

I have been working at Skagit Valley Casino (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job. For full-time employees benefits are free, good gas discount, etc

Cons

If you choose to apply at The Skagit and you are offered a position, just be sure that you see the paperwork that tells your status (full-time, part-time, etc) otherwise you may find yourself working full time hours and being told you are a full-time employee for months on end and then SURPRISE 20 hours a week at most and your free benefits they brag about in orientation? Nope, sorry, those are reserved for the full-time employees... The ones who leave early every day and just ride the initial status they were given when they got hired on.

Advice to Management

Stop employee abuse of benefits. If an employee chooses to leave early every single day, drop their status accordingly so there is enough hours and room for those who want to be there and need the money, especially in food and beverage.

6. My review.

Former Employee - Hotel Maintenance Worker in Bow, WA
    Former Employee - Hotel Maintenance Worker in Bow, WA

I worked at Skagit Valley Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Place to work. Good bosses. Good Benifits.

Cons

Getting Equepment needed for you job can be hard to get.

Upfront great pay and benefits but don't expect respect or any advancement opportunities.

I have been working at Skagit Valley Casino

Pros

Great pay and benefits. My pay as compared to others in the field is about 2 dollars more per hour.

Cons

Management promotes the kiss ups and people they like. If you want to transfer you probably won't be able to even if you are qualified for the position. Managers don't post the schedules until Thursdays every week so don't even try to have a personal life while working here. And if you celebrate a holiday you will probably will have to work on it but if you don't you might get the day off. But managers aren't subject to this rule. My manager has only worked one holiday in the time I've been there and still get Saturdays and Sundays off and every other Friday off as well.

Advice to Management

Promote the people who actually have the education and leadership skills necessary for the job and realize the some people work outside their job description to gte things done because there aren't enough people who actually WORK there,