Skanska USA Building Reviews

Reset
3.3
Skanska USA Building President Bill Fleming
Bill Fleming

Pros
  • Stable company, Good Benefits, pretty good work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• As such, its senior leadership team has ultimate authority to a stipulated value (set by Sweden) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people in upper management shouldn't be there (in 4 reviews)

• There seems to be no real pattern to how layoffs are being conducted (in 3 reviews)

1. Big Company can whether the ups and downs

Former Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

financially sound, ability to relocate for work in the US and abroad. Good pay and benifits

Cons

too big mentality. need a more local attitude while moving into new markets. need to take more risk in pursuing work outside defined sectors.

Advice to Management

practice what you preach about diversity in the workplace and remove some of the layers to top management.

2. Opportunities

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture, pretty young workforce that knows how to have fun. Strong collaborative atmosphere and work hard, play hard mentality. Specific team assignment can have a huge impact on your work experience, but mine has been very positive. Plenty of opportunity for growth as long as you are proactive about it. People who are dynamic (can handle changing/additional roles and responsibilities) and self-sufficient will rapidly succeed. High turnover provides more opportunity.

Cons

Some bureaucratic policies and dead weight personnel as with most large corporations. Lack of communication among senior management, and frequent lack of clear direction from senior executives. Project reassignments can occur with very little notice, often less than 1 week, so difficult to pin down a residence / commute. High turnover has negative impact on culture and creates a lack of accountability - "it wasn't my job." Onboarding / training experience is not well-standardized and often results in knowledge gaps. Resources are available but not widely used.

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees are given proper training when roles and responsibilities change. Train them on internal resources so they can learn on their own. Encourage mentor / mentee relationships and give successful project teams the option to continue working together. Communicate more openly about potential assignments and goals so that employees feel like they have greater control over their future. Uncertainty on future assignments and location is the nature of the industry, but could be mitigated with better Get employees more involved in strategy and operations beyond their specific project so they feel engaged. Consolidate layers of management for flatter hierarchy and better structure where employees are more directly connected.

3. Continual Growth and Positive Outlook

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A large company with great starting salaries and many locations. There is occasional traveling depending on which project you are assigned to and there are flexible working hours (short Fridays). Almost all employees are provided with laptops and smartphones which is very useful. There is a large and helpful corporate IT department located in NC. There are reimbursement for business expenses, tuition reimbursement, stock options, 401k, health insurance and more are provided. Training courses for all employees (new or not) are required occasionally and are very helpful.

Cons

Internal software issues are somewhat frequent such as those relating to lag. Unlike in Europe where the technology and office designs are top notch, some locations in the US need a makeover. Traveling or being moved to another office (job site) can a be pain depending on where you live and need to commute to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in the NY metro region. Focus more on the west coast market. For example we were booted from constructing Apple's (Spaceship) Campus Two after already building the foundation of the structure. Start with small projects, create good relationships with subcontractors and finish well to create a brand image in the west.

5. Laborer

Former Employee - Construction Laborer in Coconut Creek, FL
    Former Employee - Construction Laborer in Coconut Creek, FL

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was one of the best working jobs, and experience in the field job.

Cons

I got hurt on the job, that was my worst day. I wanted to stay working but couldn't, they hand to let me go.

6. Great Company, Lousy Office

Former Employee - Project Administrative Assistant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Administrative Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's really a great company with good values, especially considering the industry, the benefits to employees are great (not Google-level of course, as reflected in the 4-star rating). There are some advancement opportunities, though they only seem to promote from within about half the time, maybe less depending on the individual office.

Cons

*This refers to the MD location only* Skanska's position in the local market is still fairly weak by comparison; for this reason, the Rockville office is very unstable. The approach and upper management change every year and a half or so, and with it, about half the staff. The high turn-over creates a very unstable environment and a rather detached team. The office manager is cold and retaliatory and has little to no interest in team-building. Essentially, this office is a temporary resume-builder, not a place to put down roots.

Advice to Management

Change the office manager - the Maryland office will never move forward with a divided staff and the staff WILL NOT grow closer with an office manager that most people fear (at best). Also, upper management needs to start showing more loyalty to its employees - if you keep quitting on them they will keep quitting on you.

7. Reputable and Distinguished Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. I have a great manager. Most of the offices I have worked in are beautiful. Throughout my time here I have met many wonderful co-workers and have participated in many company outings. I have developed many friendships with co-workers as do spend time with each other outside of the office.

Cons

Sometimes there will be long working hours, some weekends I have worked within a given year. Some managers are rude as I have heard. Salary negotiation or promotions are not easy if you have a bad manager who can't see past your achievements.

Advice to Management

Some managers need some 1 on 1 training.

In flux

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, some very good people

Cons

lack vision and a lot of change

Advice to Management

buy a local company no history in the area

9. Not a bad company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Skanska USA Building

Pros

Big company, great opportunities, great benefits, fun people.

Cons

Many politics with some of the upper management. You have to do a lot of "talking" to get a rightfully deserved raise.

10. Skanska USA Building

Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Company with a lot of potential

Cons

New in the Bay Area

Advice to Management

Keep in contact with employees

Viva la Skanska

Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Skanska has a great structure as a corporate construction company. And have you checked the activity going on in our world of building in the bay area, tons of work and I am still on payroll, yippee!!!

Cons

Unfortunately, since being removed off a joint venture project in Cupertino. We the employees have been grounded at home. Sadly, our operation direct reports don't have much to report, but rightfully so...We have no work.

Advice to Management

The events that have taken place in the past 30 days, I am sure management has scrabbled to respond, I could not imagine otherwise....The only advice, I could give is "Prepare a great severance package", please... I really worked hard at my job.

RSS Feed </> Embed