Skanska USA Building

Updated November 13, 2014
3.6

Skanska USA Building President Bill Fleming
Bill Fleming

Pros
  • Stable company, Good Benefits, pretty good work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great company, treats interns quite well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people in upper management shouldn't be there (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours and work could be repetative (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The experience was terrible.

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of leeway to do the job.

Cons

People are NOT treated well/

No communication within the finance department.

Great place for operational positions and not others.

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skanska USA Building

Pros

The Seattle office is great as they host holiday parties and give great bonuses every year. Skanska is great to any operations worker (i.e. project engineer, project management, union workers). Great new offices. Management gets to travel a lot between offices.

Cons

It is not a great place for any other positions such as Project Accountant, Admin, Marketing. Management treats non-operation position unfairly. There is a huge gap in salary between the two. They only recognize operation positions for hard work and not others. Your job is project based, so if the company has no more project, you maybe out of a job!

They need to train new employees well and treat everyone fairly. They need to address senior management employees who are biased. All of these comments are based from the Seattle office. Every office has different types of management.

Great Stable Company to work for, but management needs to change in this office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time

Pros

Stable company, Good Benefits, pretty good work-life balance

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth right now

Open your eyes to what's going on in the office and out in the field! There are many employees who are disgruntled right now due to the way we're being treated. There are some people who work really hard and others who barely do anything, yet we get paid the same and they never get in trouble because management either doesn't care or doesn't pay attention. Even when we complain, it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Very political environment with little respect shown to non-management, non-technical personnel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Skanska USA Building

Pros

Internationally, company has an outstanding reputation and is great for your resume. Company provides excellent benefits, is environmentally aware, and is beneficially involved in the respective location's local community. Company is very competitive in the construction arena which provides a reasonably comfortable level of job security. Company's stated, corporate employment policies are exceptional.

Cons

In some locations, stated policies exist only on paper while a "good, old boy" environment remains from the previous ownership. Non-management, non-technical personnel are treated with little respect and given no defining career paths. Salaries/bonuses for this group are very mediocre (or less) and long hours/weekends are the norm. Management arrogance is encouraged and perks are given to a select few. Standards are uneven, i.e., some get training, some do not, some are recognized for their dedication, some are not, etc...very uneven atmosphere.

Enforce corporate policies in ALL locations, including, if necessary, removing management personnel who do not adhere to policies which ensure fair treatment for all. The bottom tier of personnel is your foundation; if you don't respect and encourage your foundation, eventually your building will implode.

Favoritism is definitely shown in advancement, raises and promotions

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Skanska USA Building

Pros

Good benefits, employer flexible if time off needed

Cons

Seems the way a non-productive employee is dealt with is via promotion out of the department, while those who work hardest are trapped in the same jobs with no advancement, compensation or promotion.

Horrible

Former Employee - Project Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Skanska USA Building

Pros

The company is all over the world.

Cons

There are politics involved when you want a promotion. You have to be really close with the VP in order to get bonus at the end of the year. Treat employees as if they are worthless and could be replaced.

Try giving the working man a little more credit.

Disappointed So Far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Skanska USA Building

Pros

Skanska is a global company in regards to areas and employees which has great potential.

Cons

Lack of communication between upper management and lower. Needs better set up of procedures.

Better communication is needed, better utilization of staff, and more specific training.

Depends on your project team

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All in all Skanska is a good place to work. The base pay and benefits are better than other companies I have been with.

Cons

Office politics usually govern. Project bonuses are slow to be released. Managers seem to appreciate "face time" more than the steady workers. It all depends on the team you work with and who you get "in" with.

Be more aware of the actual performers vs. those that appear to be working.

Good place to work, but room for improvement

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Skanska USA Building full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The business model that Skanska is like no other. The benefits of Commercial Development, Building, Civil, and Infrastructure Development provides opportunities to learn and different areas of the construction / real estate industries. Commercial Development provides additional projects for Building, and Infrastructure Development provides projects for Civil, however these projects are not your typical owner/contractor relationship.

The benefits are good for a large company, and the work-life balance is typical of a large construction company.

Cons

The people that end up in senior leadership positions need to be trained better. Some of these people lack basic leadership, communication, and/or knowledge.

As with any large corporation, Skanska moves slow and is very ridged in what they do.

Prepare employees better, by not only educating them about construction, but also about leadership.

Employee's don’t leave the company, They leave management.

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Skanska USA Building full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best Pro's about Skanska is the construction business is that business currently is not “dry” and is growing. On the end that I worked in, there are also no “dry” ends of the business. They will continually need the position that I worked in. Office environment is beautiful, open, work space is nice at your own personal desk, and it is starting to become crowded.

Cons

Although, certain colleagues of Skanska do not appreciate the position I had, they wish that we were not here, keep telling upper management that we should be outsourced to better people. I personally do not believe this is true as I know some work hard, some work extremely hard, and some don’t care about their position at all. Communication is extremely difficult at times within the office, meaning that some of us can get a reply within minutes and other times you will wait nearly days about the replies that may be urgent. Inside the position that I was in, we are not clearly disrespected although you can tell by facial reactions, email replies, and double judgment from certain people that they think we don’t do our jobs. However, those casting judgment do not want to sit in our chair for to actually see what we do. For the compensation you may wonder, what we are paid to do and what we are actually doing are different things. I rate this dissatisfied because there are two different angles of things

I had seeked HR for this. Internal information only that applies to whom it may concern.