Skanska USA Civil

www.usa.skanska.com
Profile Unclaimed

You're just a number

Current Employee - Field Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, projects are exciting, only a stressful as you make it, low chance of being laid off. And how could I forget Pizza Fridays!?

Cons

Projects are over staffed resulting in bureaucratic nightmares. Safety is preached, but implementation varies. Professionalism is widespread, but deviants go unpunished. Global company with local, isolated units. Completely risk averse upper management. Raises were never based on previous years accomplishments. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Cull the herd. Fear isn't always a bad thing, complacency is. We are constantly told how great our people are, expand other viable business units to NY

Internship

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Riverside, CA
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great field experience
    Helpful staff
    Positive attitudes

Cons

Very few downsides. They make every attempt to make working there as pleasant as possible. They are constantly giving opportunities to new employees.

Keep up the good work

Right company to start your career with!

Current Employee - Project Engineer I in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer I in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One can get a great experience.

Cons

Too many working hours. Expect to put in atleast 50 hrs per week

Help the employees to create a work- life balance.

Challenging but no further advancement opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Estimator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Estimator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

Skanska USA Civil pursues very interesting large projects. Skanska gives me a lot of responsibility but expects a lot in return. The pay is not bad and the benefits are pretty good and the bonuses are ok if the company is making money.

Cons

Most respondents have mentioned the pay. Mine is less than I was making at a previous job and the raises have been less than spectacular, less than I expected. There seems to be a bit of superstructure and I havent seen much nimbleness from the upper management.

In the group or division where I am, I see very little movement into the officer ranks from the lower troups. In fact, there seems to be little upward movement. Almost none for non-field employees.

This is a solid company but treats employees like mushrooms.

Current Employee - Field Engineer II in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer II in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

Rewarding work, with results that I can be proud of. I felt that I moved quickly and had a great deal of responsibility.

Cons

Incredibly difficult hours, and often had to move from across country at a moment's notice, with very little assistance. Management also told me one thing and did another.

Be more transparent in discussions with direct reports. Also, there needs to be a better system for performance review, as my reviews were often completed by managers who had not been involved in my work and did not know what I actually did!

Great place to have a lifelong career.

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

People stay here for a long time because this is such a great company to stick with.

Cons

The hours can be long, but that is similar to most construction jobs.

a crossroads

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

strong work ethic, creative thinking is generally encouraged, operations people are open to new ideas, a can do and make it work attitude prevail in field, corporate culture of safety and fairness

Cons

becoming increasingly bureaucratic, many layers have been added, meaning of titles and rank do not appear to be consistent or meaningful, promotion path are unclear and appear to be weighted more towards years of service verses merit, means of determining compensation are unclear, also company does not use the latest technology, specifically in communications

trust your field people, specifically with ethics, and continue to create/encourage this corporate value from within senior leadership vs. via a separate department, make promotion path more clear and consistent with clear goals for these, be more clear on how pay grades are established...give employees something to aim for, extend use of smart phones to below the senior levels as field and project managers are often hamstrung or must use their own to stay on target in the fast paced industry(ie texting and instant email access at any point and anytime are near essential now and their absence in the field is costing profits).

skanska17

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

Good place to work. Overall very nice individuals and management is very approachable.

Cons

Multiple sites can pose some difficulty for commuteing. Long hours also can attribute to burn out.

Management should be more flexible about personal time.

One best companies to work for, though consideration needs to be paid to the balance between job security and salary.

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

As far as construction/contractors go in the New York area, Skanska uniquely posits itself as one of the most ethical, professional, and competent in the industry. The company does not make money by trying to value-engineer the owner's project or drag their subcontractors into wars of attrition.

There is a no-nonsense, get it done, done well, safely, on budget and on time spirit amongst the people who work here. The professionalism that this mindset breeds lends to a unity within the company that, I find, to be extremely rare in any industry. The sense of camaraderie caters to the old school feel of "career" - a lot of old timers here have been with the company for 20+ years, and the words "company" and "family" are often heard in the same sentence when upper levels speak of their experience with the company.

Cons

The only real downside at Skanska is below top-tier pay. The company philosophy seems to be that creating the best working environment will attract the best talent. To a large extent, this is true. But it only goes so far. Some top talent has left the company due to uncompetitive compensation packages (though the benefits are some of the best). I am not convinced if the job security (practically for life as long as you do your job) outweighs the low salaries.

Definitely revisit the salaries offered to employees. More opportunities for overseas projects would definitely spark some interest as well, especially with younger employees. Skanska Unlimited is a good concept, but it is not yet well implemented (at least from the US-based side).

Great Work But Long Hours and Mediocre Pay

Former Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Skanska USA Civil

Pros

The pay package is low for the industry, but there are good long-term incentives to stay with the company. The people are generally professional in what is often a very unprofessional industry. The projects are often high profile and the company does top notch work, which is something to be proud of. The company pays for reimbursement for various expenses including car. Frequent training and feedback are also a plus. The company has a commitment to safety which is appreciated by all employees.

Cons

The hours are long and you do not have much choice regarding which projects you will be assigned to. The pay is not great compared to the industry average.

A bump in pay would go a long way toward being able to recruit and maintain good people.