Skechers U.S.A.

Be The First To
Add Photos

Skechers U.S.A. Chairman and CEO Robert Greenberg

Robert Greenberg

Pros
  • Great core values, with a great focus on customer experience (in 4 reviews)

• work-life balance, learn great customer service skills, great training skills (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • At Store Manager level, there's not much room for advancement within the company unless you are willing to relocate to California (in 4 reviews)

• Keeping your store staffed with part time assistant managers is honestly the biggest joke of them all (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits but beware of management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and flexible schedules. Co-workers are awesome.

ConsManagement needs to improve and need to also have their employees back.

Great as an associate, extremely difficult as a manager

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAs an associate:

-Easy to understand standards, as most of your direction will come from your Assistant/Store Manager, who you will work closely with
    -VERY friendly work place
    -Great start as a first job, or as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. If you prove you're a hardworking employee, promotion is a very real possibility.

As an Assistant Manager:

-Great stepping stone to bigger and better things.
    -A lot of time is spent in the store without your boss around, so as long as you can plan and execute well without falling behind, it's fairly stress free
    -Employee discount is OK, not terrible, but not amazing either. No other benefits.

ConsAs an associate:

-Very physically demanding. Shipment once a week and on a busy day, you will be running around more often than not.
    -You'll probably be working harder than your pay will show
    -Bosses will either be your best friend, or your worst enemy. As a manager, I personally am out there working harder than anybody, setting the standard. Other managers have no problem sitting behind the register all day dictating work for you to execute.
    -Hours can at times, be very inconsistent.

As an Assistant Manager:

-VERY unclear standards. It feels like standards go through the game 'telephone' where you will never get a consistent answer when asking around to different stores/districts/DMs. Example: Display standards are "constantly changing," and by constantly changing I mean change depending on who visits your store last and wants you to change it.
    -Expectations set by DM are often way off the mark. It feels like the DMs don't really understand what it's like to work the sales floor, and as a result set either unrealistically high, or severely low expectations.
    -Failure is a direct reflection of you. You missed sales for the day? Well that sucks, because they don't care that there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm being a bit dramatic, but missing sales goals is viewed as a direct reflection of management.
    -Not sure if it's just my store, but don't plan on having a full staff. In the last 1.5 years, we've never had a full management team.
    -The pay.....
    -The company as a whole seems to be both stuck in the stone age (WAY outdated Point of Sale system) and unorganized. Putting three different window updates in one day is a good way to annoy employees. Setting deadlines for when tasks should be completed without giving us the tools to complete the task until AFTER the deadline means you need to be flexible to each store making decisions that may not be exactly what you want. And the marketing is really off point, adult men don't want to buy a shoe because Joe Montana can catch a burglar with a football....

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Managers: Spend some time working as hard as us associates do. Just because you're payed more doesn't mean you're above cleaning up the mess of a family of foreigners.

District Managers: Be a little more flexible and willing to listen. If I ask you a question, respond to what I said, don't just give me the same cookie cutter answer you do every time. And realize we are not stupid, this company is wildly out of date and unorganized, the issue needs to be addressed, not swept under the rug.

Generally positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOpportunity to present ideas if you can find the right receptive ear. Decent work/life balance. OK compensation. Unique business outlook that is on a strong upswing.

ConsLess flexible time scheduling than should be required. Little opportunity for growth. Advancement is very insular. Work can become repetitive. Too many cooks for most projects. Arbitrary rules that defy logic. Different rules apply to different members of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's too many walls between departments. Remove some and collaboration will flourish resulting in stronger work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are many great things about the company including very flexible scheduling and requested time off, hardworking co-workers and a solid store team, great management who are all very involved, and a solid company foundation with awesome core values and ethics.

ConsThere aren't too many cons except for the amount of hours scheduled, which is for 2nd Assistant Managers, usually 15-25. The wages are mediocre; not too bad but definitely lower than most other retail employees with management positions.

Skechers Is a fun and exciting retail sales experience, out of many other brands Skechers is definitely the one to pick.

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsWonderful people, great management, fun customer experience, hefty discounts, shoes that anyone can enjoy making it easier to sell.

ConsNot being able to go over 25 hours. There is some head butting over sales numbers, but that's likely to happen In any retail job.

It's not a dream your in hell!

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsNone-Fullerton area is really nice.

ConsSkx Retail Division is stuck in the 80s...that's when Bob Greenberg was bankrupting his first company L.A gear remember? The same result will happen here over the next decade as the company refuses to invest in any technology not even email! H.R is not effective and are discussed terribly throughout org. They are so disconnected focused on recruiting good looking 'branded' people who have zero business acumen. Stores are not supported, managers forced to work while clocked out for lunch. 50 boxes of transfer product showing up out of nowhere daily...Retail Division needs an overhaul. Regional Manager won a camaro from the company she proudly flaunts while employees struggle to feed their families. Start the firing with the Director of Stores then work your way down!

Advice to Senior ManagementPursue licensing agreements with partners who can drive traffic..I'm thinking US tour De France team sponsorship.

a very enjoyable time to start off a sales career

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

Prostheir training is great. they have you look at videos and train you about the newest products and how to satisfy customer needs.

Consthere were none. it was a great experience

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Assistants Work Your Ass OFF while Managers get paid!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLearn a lot of management duties as an assistant

Cons- Very OId school with numerous procedures
    - Although they say they hire within - I know about 3-4 stores have hired a new manager = and not one came from being a Skechers Assistant

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with SM's to make sure they are developing a pool of strong future managers

very nice place to work for.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Proswork-life balance, learn great customer service skills, great training skills

Consnot much promotion from within. needs to hire more employees!

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more from within, there is a lot of good employees that work for the company that usually get over looked for outsiders.

Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for this company for 2 years and I honestly cannot think of a single positive thing I could say about this company.

Conshorrible hours, minimal pay, unrealistic expectations, awful support from district manager and even less from corporate, if your not a well endowed woman you will not move up. I used to sit outside the store before I had to open the doors and cry because I hated that job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up and start over.

Worked for Skechers U.S.A.? Contribute to the Community!