Skechers U.S.A.

www.skx.com
Profile Unclaimed

Good work environment

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

great benefits, unlimited work resources, good work/life balance

Cons

big corporation, moves very slowly, and many divisions competing internally (politics)

Great pay, OK structure

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Location
    Employee flexibility to move within company

Cons

Organization of job duties
    Very political
    Understaffed

Amazing

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good, wonderful training on how to run a buisness, great employee 50 % discount twice a month.

Cons

No work life balance, commission structure constantly changing. Other than that not to many cons.

Keep up the good work

Great company culture.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced culture. You get to sell amazing, innovative footwear for a company that is continually reinventing itself. I have seen many success stories of associates advancing quickly..

Cons

Any cons you would find in any retail setting

Be more aware of how middle management is or is not developing field management. There is a lot of wasted talent at the store level. Great talent is being acquired from outside, but it is to the determent of current loyal, talented and tenured employees.

manager told me, "You care too much about the customers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, training is okay, awesome discount, great casual clothing policies

Cons

NO restocking. a style comes and you never get anymore in, but it never goes on sale and you still have to display it.. try to explain to a customer that that we only have one pair left of that style (not in their size) and no, I can't help you find them at another store because there is no internet connection in that computer at the cash wrap.
    low pay. very low pay. only full time options are for management.
    constantly changing uniform policies (first you could only wear sports sneakers, then you can wear anything, then you could only wear sports shoes with athletic clothes and fashion shoes with regular clothes, then back to anything goes...)
    most shoes are a rip-off; the "outlets" less then 15 minutes away sold all the same shoes at half the price.
    employees are forced to kneel on the floor to give the customer their shoes... doesn't sound awful but after six hours, four times a week it hurts. I was still forced to do this after I experienced a fall and hurt my knee (was actually limping). I still have scarring.

seriously invest in your employees and hire some full time. instead of a team of ten, low-paid kids who are only there for a handful of hours and don't know anything, have four or five expert employees who can pay their bills without having two other jobs. Care about your customers; they will return if they know they can get CONSISTANTLY good service and products from you. market to your kids' shoes customers, they are a MAJOR part of your business!

My customers and co-workers made the salary worth it.

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved my customers. You don't usually get regulars in this business, but I had some regular customers that I just adored. My co-workers also made working here a blast.

Cons

Lack of compensation. I worked in an outlet mall and did not receive commission for all of the sales I brought in.

Be more empathetic towards personal employee situations. Compensate accordingly.

Just Okay

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Concept store employees make commission, which can definitely be used as an advantage when hiring motivated sales associates (although outlet employees are left out of this incentive)
    - Fairly generous benefits package for full-time employees
    - The company seems to have a pretty good grasp on what customers they are targeting
    - Newly designed stores are more shop-able, modern, and sleek (for the customers that is)
    - Go Walks are extremely comfortable and will run your business. Seriously, rely on these shoes to get you through the darkest of sales periods

Cons

- Pay is less than spectacular, and the commission structure seems to be getting harder and harder- Part-time ASM positions are hard to fill due to the low pay (usually only $1 or so more than min. wage)
    - Very disorganized business plan overall; everything is last minute and top priority
    - The return policy needs to be more strict. No time limit or rules are actually implemented, so people are definitely taking advantage
    - Completely and totally outdated everything. From the fax machines to the ancient POS, the entirety of the technology in the store will push you back into the 80's. Update your systems already! (BTW, I know that implementing new operating systems can be fairly expensive, however, I can assure you that the current systems are costing you more)
    - Total lack of oversight from upper management. Hearing from your District Manager is few and far between, and actually seeing them is more rare. However, when they do visit the store, mostly everything is wrong and must be done a different way
    - High turnover rate (most likely due to low compensation)

- Add hours to payroll for training new employees. This is the front line of your business and training on the go isn't very efficient
    - Get rid of "The Promise". Secret shops are of the norm, but forcing your sales staff to execute the exact same routine with every customer is completely counter-intuitive to the genuine shopping experience you are trying to create
    - Way. Too. Much. Repetitive. Info. Posting the same information and redundant sales information and paperwork all over the store does little to drive sales, rather it seems to take a significant amount of time away from what could be a more efficient management procedure
    - Create a more cohesive multi-store strategy. Understandably, the company has different types of stores, but the visuals and standards of each type should be communicated as such. Instead, the companies "Internet" system Reformer will mostly show one conglomerate floorset document that simply don't match your store whatsoever. Improvisation would seem a reasonable solution to this issue, however it will more than likely not pan out well on a store visit

Fast Paced, but not for everyone

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

As a manager, you get to be a business leader/owner. You are given the tools to analyze your business and empowered to make merchandising decisions that impact your sales. When partnered with the right DM, you can be trained and developed to take on greater challenges and accept new roles within the company. The company is growing rapidly, so new positions are opening up quickly.

Cons

Heavily operations driven company. Company culture may not be for everyone.

Un realistic

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Easy Job
    Only thing you have to sell is shoes

Cons

Compensation
    Very small store
    Unrealistic goals
    Upper Management Not helpful

May be if they can worry less about 2 shoe per customer it'll be better

Love it but no hours and from the top down they change their minds how to do things and then its your fault.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Easy job expect in a huge store with no hours then it becomes quite the challenge more workload on less ppl for same amount of money.

Cons

Working on concrete all day. Personal growth.They didn't train me very well the first 2 weeks of training then didnt train me very well once we were in our own store it was sort of everybody learn together but when hours were cut it was train when we see you so a lot was missed out on

Skechers U.S.A. Photos