Skidmore College

Add Photos

Phil Glotzbach

Working at School

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsGreat place to get some resume boosters

Consbalance of school and work

Easy Enough

French Language Tutor (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsEasy work and easy pay. As a language tutor in both the Writing Center and the language lab, I definitely feel like I get a chance to help people!

ConsThe pay is somewhat low in the language lab ($8.25), and the lab is not highly publicized, so I can go a long time without tutoring anyone. We're getting new office space soon though, so that problem should improve!

My experience as a Research Assistant as an undergraduate was engaging and productive.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsI learned useful research skills and make a stronger connection with faculty.

ConsI didn't have experience as a non-student staff member, so I can't speak to that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A little bit of everything

ProsFlexibility, paid lunches, holidays, health benefits, campus usage (pool, exercise facilities), On-Campus performances and events, dining facilities, job security, tuition exchange.

ConsMediocre pay, lot of red tape, lack of management's ability to move quickly, little or no chance to move up, everything moves slow, too much concern for diversity and not enough concern for those that are already here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like everyone has an opinion, and make smart decisions based on employee experience. Trust your employees and stop bowing to the majority.

Good Place to work, hard to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, nice environment, depending on exempt/non exempt there is more flexibility. Most generally enjoy working at the College. I think Skidmore provides very good stability for those who are not looking to leave their position for some time.

Consnot much space to advance. I feel that certain departments do not take change very well, and sometime can leave the younger professionals feeling as though they cannot move higher.

Parents would send their children elsewhere if they knew what goes on any given day in Skidmore College Dining Services.

In the Know (Current Employee)

ProsSet days off every week.

ConsFavortism and unprofessionalism exist throughout the management.If you can drink,smoke,do drugs, and kiss the boss on the rump, YOU represent Skidrow Dining Services.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat goes around,comes around.Fire all the management and start anew.Instead of fixing the problem, the college merely boosts tuition another couple grand.

Underpaid and Under-appreciated as a lifeguard at minimal wage.

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsIts tax free because its a non profit. Its on campus so its convenient if you live on campus.

ConsYou get paid minimal wage and it's a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow student to do schoolwork while lifeguarding, or pay them for their qualifications. A lifeguard must be certified, therefor the salary shouldn't be $7.75 an hour.

A learning-based service job that improves with time

Academic Technologies Assistant (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

Pros-flexible hours and great work/life balance
    -fun projects
    -opportunity to leave personal creation on work
    -ability to make fast changes in small environment

Cons-often not enough work to keep busy
    -work gets done at a very slow rate
    -not enough support to improve scope of practice

Advice to Senior Managementshare the company vision with the employees more often so that even the student employees know what types of goals they should be working towards fulfilling.

Cutting Edge Software Intense Researching

Student Researcher (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsThey have great research opportunities for Undergraduate students, and the professors here are fantastic at teaching! The faculty here love their jobs, the pay is good, and the school is very well established.

ConsThe student housing during the summer isn't so great. And president Glotzbach makes way too much for what he does for the school.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more of an effort to reach out to the students about climate issues. Also, there are a lot of diversity issues that still need to be taken care of. Invest in good training practices for student leadership roles.

Pretty good place- some interesting politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westport, CT

ProsAwesome students and a fun work environment. The campus is lovely and there are events happening all the time. Many colleagues are friendly and fun. A great town for families.

ConsThe college is having issues with the economic downturn. The resulting changes contradict the foundations of a liberal arts school. Larger classes, professors teaching more classes per semester. Some professors are paid by the class they teach... about 3,330$ per class. Conceivably there are professors working full time but only making 20,000$ per year. It's a shame. There are also weird politics in different departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementUphold the prestige and ideal that is "liberal arts college". Toughen up admission standards and keep classes small. Invest less in things and buildings and more in teaching staff. Students love diversity in departments.

Worked for Skidmore College? Contribute to the Community!