SkillPath Corporate Strategies

2.0

Robb Garr

Tough!

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time

Pros

Opportunity to make a lot of money exists. Really is what you make it.

Cons

Negative environment
    Management style doesn't match the company values

High Turnover, Bad Management

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there and you have the opportunity to make good money in sales if you can put up with abusive management.

Cons

Extremely high turnover even for a sales organization. Someone is fired or quits almost daily. Management is horrible. There is no regard for employees. They put up a front of caring about employees by offering carnivals and programs but then when there is a horrible snowstorm and the city and government officials are on Emergency operation to keep people off the roads, SkillPath sales department is expected to come to work or use a vacation day...but of course selling training is essential? Managers routinely yell at other managers. Witnessed a couple of shouting matches between upper level management. Very unprofessional environment for a company that is supposed to train other companies on management, conflict resolution, communications skills. It's very hypocritical. I'm guessing they don't have a class that says march to the managers cube and scream at him berating him. However that is the predominant "conflict resolution" style used at SkillPath.

In the end the buck stops with the CEO and Board of Directors. If you don't change the culture and fire the people creating the environment then you are condoning it by allowing it to happen. Fire all managers and VPs in the sales department. Treat your employees like adults rather than children and those that are acting like children might start behaving like adults. Be more selective in your hiring practices and the morale might change. There was usually a lottery going as to how long a training class will last, kind of takes the focus off selling training with all the distractions

Disgusting culture and management team

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The commissions are ok, but not worth the stress and strain of working here.

Cons

Management--Especially senior management. They are extremely unprofessional and mean. They fire people and let people go "just because".

Change management. Memorize the set of core values and FOLLOW THEM. Treat people with a little respect.

Trainer

Current Employee - Training Consultant
    Current Employee - Training Consultant

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have been teaching with SkillPath now for a year. As many of the other reviewers have said, the quality of the training is really dependent on the quality of the trainer. While I have only meet a few of the other trainers, I have found them all to be competent at what they do.

SkillPath does their best to keep the content of the courses current. But, with the number of classes they offer, they really are dependent again on the instructor to bring in new content as well.

To ensure you will be getting a quality trainer, call and ask who will be training and their average student rating. SkillPath does keep track of every trainers performance evaluations by the students and does not keep instructors who are not high performers.

Cons

If you are considering being a trainer, the travel demands are a bit tough.

I am amazed that this is happening

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS

Pros

In theory the money is good maybe if you sell a lot do not mind not getting paid for the first year and manage not to get fired before the commissions you are owed come in.

Cons

Extremely Negative management. It is clear that this place wants to turn people over. They do not pay you commission once you are fired/ have quit. Management sits in their office and drinks beer on Friday afternoons. The language they use is atrocious and they manage by threatening you.

Im not sure if SR management understands the environment.
    Mid Management are ALL females as is the VP of sales, interestingly enough

High Turnover

Former Employee - Training Consultant
    Former Employee - Training Consultant

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to use it as a stepping stone.

Cons

the pay is next to nothing and they don't seem to value you

Show your employees you care

This company has no SKILLPATH to sell

Former Employee - Sales in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Sales in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Parking
    You have a desk, a chair, and what might have been considered a computer and phone 20 years ago.

Cons

The people who work there
    All office equipment
    All software
    The horrible product that they sell

The people you hire and fire are human beings with families and mortgages. The interview/hire process should be more forthcoming about what it is in fact that you do there, maybe let people know that they aren't really being hired. From my vantage point their business is built around contributing to the Kansas unemployment rate so their government has to contract more training programs to combat the problem.

SkillPath

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies

Pros

Good benefits, semi-flexible hours, casual work environment, base pay plus opportunity to make a lot of commission.

Cons

Very, very high turnover rate. Which kills morale a bit and causing stress and a disorganized business strategy. Some management is terrible (but others are wonderful).

Watch your mid level management to ensure they're getting the proper training and not firing and hire entire departments every other month. A longer trial/training period or redesigned training/mentoring program would allow a lot of people to succeed and make the company a lot more money!

Initial Sales Training at Skillpath/Signing your contract

Current Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Initial training last a week and includes basic sales and system training which consists of lectures by different managers and also worksheets and a binder to take notes in.

Cons

Be very careful and DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS. Although they tell you they want you to ask questions and they want you to participate they don't. If you do ask questions then you may be taken aside and told "you're giving me pushback". This is not your typical place where training is considered a safe haven and you are encouraged to learn. Also be careful not to take notes when certain managers are conducting the training. Although "active listening" is considered a skill at some organizations it isn't here. Some of the managers here are on a power trip and think that taking notes means you're not paying attention to them.

Some of the managers gave nick names to people in our training class including calling a man "Rooster"!

On the first day a person from HR comes in and talks about benefits and has you sign your contract. The HR person who did our orientation did not give us her name and also asked for the pens back! She told us she would get in trouble if she didn't take the pens back because she would be over her budget!

At the end of the week several of us were let go by the same woman. So not only was I fired by a person whose name I didn't know, I also was fired by someone who didn't have the authority to give me a pen!

Truly the worst experience in my entire career!

Obviously management that doesn't know it's inappropriate to call an employee "Rooster" will not recognize they need new management!

Pay your dues and get out.

Former Employee - Trainer
    Former Employee - Trainer

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to learn the speaking and training business while getting paid. Lots of miles and points. Meet some great people out on the road.

Cons

No balance. Train all day and travel all night. Really low pay and its contract so you get no bennefits and pay double social security tax. Management calls you a vendor and treats you like an expendable. No relationship building or attention to retention. They are more focused on a contiuous flow of new trainers because they burn people out extremely fast. As a low paid contractor you will still need to outlay hundreds of dollars on travel, sometimes thousands, but of course you will be reimbursed. The product they want you to sell at training is often subpar. Not doing a very good job of keeping up with technology and cutting edge training theory, which is obvious to your more sophisticated audiences. (ie. they say they are cutting edge and then don't have digital verstions of their product).

Take your own leadership, communication and team building classes and then apply it.

SkillPath Corporate Strategies Photos