SkillSoft
www.skillsoft.com Nashua, NH 1000 to 5000 Employees

SkillSoft Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014
SkillSoft – Nashua – “SkillSoft corporate office”

Chuck Moran

Pros:
  • "Work life balance good, work with multi-national global organizations"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Most field-based sales and services positions work from home"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance can be tricky depending on the role"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Not enough supporrt, leadership, and direction is given to the inside sales staff"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Scottsdale call center is not a good place to work.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at SkillSoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent health benefits, corporate training can be a rewarding industry

ConsAccount management position is not a true account management position. You will not be provided with the support needed to provide a good customer experience. If you are talented enough to overcome the lack of support to renew and grow your accounts you will not be valued. There are many dysfunctional policies and procedures in place overall contributing to an unpleasant and demoralized work environment. It is a call center, so as expected, little to no opportunity exists for career growth. The training for employees exists as it does for the customers, there is a wealth of great training available but you have to find it, overcome technical obstacles and take time out of a demanding schedule to take advantage of it. Management does not understand your job and does not know how to train employees but will direct them to the training library or webex trainings. There is a leadership culture to lead by dominance and fear, even targeting those meeting and exceeding individual quota, as the center itself is not hitting goals. You will not be valued for knowledge of the training solutions you sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to upper management is to apply basic leadership and management logic. Coach don't threaten. Curb your conduct to act professionally. Top performers (or any employee) should not be bullied or they will move on to a healthy environment.

Seemed interesting at first glance but ....

Project/Program Manager (Current Employee)
Nashua, NH

I have been working at SkillSoft full-time

ProsThe interview process was quick, maybe too quick. HR rep was very nice and the hiring manager seemed like a decent person.
Salary was good, benefits were good. People seemed weird to me.

ConsOffice is in the basement - dark and dreary. Furniture/cubicles were from the 70's. UGLY!! Hiring manager had a consulting background which is off putting to me. The peer interviewers were "interesting". One seemed bent on getting the interview over with - didn't ask unexpected questions but came off rude and 'superior'. The other peer seemed to have a checklist to interview candidates and wasn't interested in personalizing the session. That one basically told me I didn't cut it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your people trained on how to interview. It was painful to go through.
Update the space - not appealing at all. It would have factored into my decision if I received an offer.

A company going no where

I worked at SkillSoft

ProsIf you want to be lost in a place where no one cares this is for you.

ConsOnly growth strategy is acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of nepotism

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, LOTs of positives, but unreasonable workload/expectations are starting to diminish the 'pros'

Learning Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SkillSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Most positions are virtual (work from home)
- Very flexible schedule w/out any micromanaging
- I feel respected in general, with all colleagues
- Management demonstrates trust and allows autonomy
- GREAT benefits for the most part (reimbursement for massages, acupuncture, fitness), charitable donation matching and other standard benefits.
- Opportunities to create your own career path; many positions we have were developed to fill a need, so you're not necessarily waiting for someone to retire or move on.
- The actual job is challenging and can be extremely fulfilling
- Culture of positive recognition and very supportive teammates
- You really can't beat having access to ALL our development resources!

Cons- Vacation time is not very generous until you've been here 5 years. But that doesn't matter because no one really takes a vacation anyway...we all work on our vacations because it's almost worse to completely disconnect and be completely overwhelmed when you return.
- Work/life balance non-existent because of the "sense of urgency" in our culture and expectations to adopt that as a core competency. (however, this is also just part of supporting a sales organization)
- NO external personal development...because Skillsoft has so many resources available. But networking and attending live events are critical to one's development. Even memberships related to our role (i.e., ASTD, CLP) are not covered.
- Conflicts within primary objectives of job role (be strategic, but also do all these little tactical things that take up so much time you can't focus on the strategy.)
- Account load and associated work effort is too large to be an effective change agent/consultant with each client. Can be very frustrating for someone with high personal standards, because you feel like you never "achieve" something.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider modifying the core program support services - allow learning consultants to CONSULT without getting into so much minutia that we can't focus.
Please also consider allowing consultants to get a membership to a related organization like ASTD or SHRM, esp since our roles require so much more knowledge/experience than just the "training" arena...we are really becoming "talent management consultants."

Pretty Good Place to Work

Graphic Design (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at SkillSoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFlexible with working hours - so able to avoid rush hour traffic. They valued my creative input. I felt that I could contribute meaningfully to the company's direction.

ConsThere was really no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpon contracts termination HR gave a reason for the termination that was not true. They were just out of the loop, but it made for a tense work environment until that was cleared up.

Good company, great people

I have been working at SkillSoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCaliber of talent and dedicated professionals.
Access to research based industry information.
Ability to work from home.
Good compensation and benefits package.

ConsNo work life balance.
Disconnection of field and senior management.
Products appearing stale.
Too many sales people selling into the same account.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to your organization, especially sales, where they are taking the company from a strategic perspective. Feels very stale and just re-positioning of assets we've been selling for over a decade.
Provide development training for several levels of critical employee sectors. VS. just pointing to an elearning course for development.

Great Benefits, terrible work environment

I worked at SkillSoft full-time for more than a year

ProsSkillsoft offers great benefits and a casual work environment

ConsThere is a big sense of nepotism within Skillsoft, make sure you make friends with everybody. If you fail to befriend management be prepared to be exiled. Go with the flow or you will drown.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the suggestions of mid and entry level employees to develop a more conducive culture and approach.

Regional Account Executive

Regional Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at SkillSoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is the market leader in the space and is very serious about keeping their customers happy. All sales staff works remotely, so that is a huge plus.

ConsAt times, can be a micro managed environment. No real career growth opportunities for sales personnel as there is very little turnover within sales management. No real opportunity to move to different business unit or new role. Management has high expectations in regards to work hours. No real "work life balance"

Very process oriented and organized.

Associate Regional Account Executive (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at SkillSoft full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent base pay, flexible/work from home schedule.

ConsSales methodologies are over processed and limited opportunity since most named accounts are accounted for by more senior sales reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at a geographic and/or vertical market based account distribution.

Cold but honest.

I worked at SkillSoft

ProsThey seem to make money so it's a fairly safe gig. Salaries seemed to be in the right ballpark. They are decisive and quick about it. They are fair - not underhanded or deliberately mean - and you know where you stand.

ConsThey don't really have a strong value of developing or involving employees. They assume you just care about your salary and they have no reason to care about you beyond that. They aren't particularly creative or visionary so there isn't a lot of spark or fun.

Worked for SkillSoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SkillSoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SkillSoft CEO Chuck Moran. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by SkillSoft employees.