SkillStorm Reviews

Vince Virga

1. Work Hard & Play Hard

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is a very supportive company, and all offices across the company know each other well and keep in contact weekly if not daily. This is not your typical recruitment position, teamwork is constant. There is a lot of respect and people really care. The job is fulfilling and serious, but we also have a lot of fun. modern environment and culture for sure.

Cons

If you are not willing to put the work in, you won't get anything out of it.

2. Oracle

I worked at SkillStorm

Pros

Payroll is done professionally ontime and without any inconsistencies. Follow a hands of approach up and so you work with the client for the most part.

Cons

HR department takes forever to get back to you with any concerns. They are very attentive during the first couple of months and then their interest in an employee tapers out to zero.

3. Vested Interest in employee

Former Employee - Project Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at SkillStorm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The folks I dealt, based in Phoenix and San Diego, were very supportive and helpful.
    - Provided on-site pre-interview coaching and introductions to interviewer
    - Awesome follow-up after hire
    - Provided great advice and insight on broaching subjects with employer
    - Seemed very much interested and involved with taking care of me as a person

Cons

- Due to circumstances not in the control of Skillstorm, after two months on the assignment, my contract was handed over another payroll/staffing agency/company. I am no longer under Skillstorm's direct management. Which is a big disappointment for me. The positive to the switch is that my pay and assignment wasn't affected. I appreciate Skillstorm taking the high-road and being professional in handling this unusual scenario.
    - Job Assignment: So far, the job assignment I have been given does not match the job description provided to me during the interview - NO FAULT OF SKILLSTORM. The job duties are more administrative and HR oriented vs Project Coordinator/Specialist. A bone of contention for me, but the pay is exceptionally better than my previous assignment and I'm just sucking it up for now. As a result, I have more respect for Admin personnel. There really is a discriminatory manner in how Proj Mgr and Directors treat Admin vs Proj Cood, etc. Very disturbing.

Advice to Management

Keep on with your hands-on method of encouraging, coaching and positive reinforcement.

5. GrGrGreatG

Former Employee - Information Technology in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SkillStorm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people - dedicated to success - work hard and pay attention

Cons

No office in my region; so no face-to-face contact with colleagues

Advice to Management

Any way to give 'satellite employees' a way to feel like a part of the picture -- you were already sending information / updates / notices ... everything was great ... no complaints; just encouraging more shining of the apple; you know?

Very Unprofessional

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at SkillStorm as a contractor

Pros

They were nice and accommodating...for a short time.

Cons

Very friendly until they get news they don't like. They hounded me 8 to 10 times a day for updates, but never answered when I called. They stated they would negotiate with my pay rate, and when it came up; they refused to negotiate at all. I had gotten another offer and informed SkillStorm. The recruiter was rude, stated that I didn't know what I was giving up and continuously stated how disappointed he was with me. I left that phone call feeling upset and dejected. I would not deal with them anymore after this.

Advice to Management

Force your employees to attend course on how to be professional. Do not let them hound your possible contracts and do NOT allow them to make a person feel bad about choosing to not take the job.

7. Great People - Takes care of their employees

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SkillStorm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people they hire are all top-notch, they give you all the tools you need to succeed, take care of you and actually care about you not only professionally but personally. Money is to be made, they pay a competitive base salary and the commission structure is good. If you're in Raleigh, you'll love working with Greg Silvestri and Will Kincaid.

Cons

It is a number driven business so expect it. If you're not familiar with the staffing industry expect to hustle and work long hours, it's the only way you'll succeed.

Advice to Management

Group your recruiter/acct mgr meetings into one instead of several calls weekly. As almost every office, top-down communication is key.

all about numbers

I worked at SkillStorm

Pros

fun group, always a good time out of the office and at events.

Cons

Clearly double standards when family and friends work there

Slow, inaccurate, disorganized.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at SkillStorm as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Was a (contractor) step into a real company.

Cons

They send emails to me that clearly do not apply such as receiving promotional items etc. They got my name wrong on the first couple months of paychecks (not sure how that is since the entire communication was written but it looked like someone phonetically misheard the name). The representatives do not seem very knowledgeable and communication through SKILLSTORM is painful.

Advice to Management

Reorganize the company so that there are not constant novice mistakes.

10. Strong Company Values, Lots of Opportunity, Fun Environment

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SkillStorm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong adherence to Core Values
    Our clients and our contractors are top priority
    Innovative, outside-the-box approach to IT solutions
    Great opportunity for career growth
    Team-focused
    Energetic, fun, competitive, while also supportive and understanding

Cons

It's still a relatively small company which allows for a lot of flexibility and dynamic change. If you are looking for a hard-lined corporate structure with policies and procedures that are set in stone, this isn't the place for you.

Interesting environment, they don't value honesty or integrity but instead value winning and drinking excessively.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SkillStorm

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is good, the company is growing, so there is money to be made there. They have a pretty fool-proof process for success. You can control your own earnings.

Cons

Unstable management (personality wise), it's like walking on egg shells everyday. You don't know if they'll bit your head off, or greet you with a smile. You should be able to voice concerns without fear of retaliation but that is not the case. You can not be honest about your concerns whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to voice their concerns freely. Try adding honesty and integrity to your core values. Re-evaluate your management (people, not style).