Skillsets Online

4.1

Ronik Kar

Great Product, Challenging Environment

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always challenged to build the best product in the marketplace. High level of autonomy. Relaxed company culture. Competitive pay. Unlimited free training.

Cons

Smaller teams often lead to more work than can be done within normal work hours. We are offered fewer benefits than I'd like to have. Requirements, goals, standards and expectations are always in flux.

Great work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for this company is an excellent learning experience. There are many great ideas being implemented all of the time which gives me a lot of optimism for the future of the Skillsets Online. All of the employees work well together and there is definite synergy as a result. The management is always open and excited to hear new ideas.

Cons

Communication is good for the most part but can lack during hectic periods. This has improved immensely since I started so not much of a problem anymore.

Definitely continue the weekly meetings. It is good to have everyone on the same page and it promotes the sense of being on the same "team."

Amazing combination of Talent and Team Players

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture at SkillSets Online is very dynamic, challenging and rewarding. In a highly competitive industry, we have a unique and successful approach that gets customers results and creates our competitve edge. The word synergy may be cliche, but it fits and after hard work and collaboration, the results speak for themselves. Management looks within first for talent for new opportunities.

Cons

While training is provided when needed, the policy is to hire talent that can self start and self manage. You should expect to figure many aspects of your role out without a formal training program.

Don't lose touch with the team as happens in many other companies.

SkillSets is in My Blood!!

Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots being done to increase business & Opportunities. Innovation gets implemented here. Awesome!

Cons

Some projects require intense effort.

Great place for me!

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked with SkillSets Online for some time now and feel I've had enough experiences across the board to give a sound review of the company. The forward thinking and plans for the future of the company in terms of size and growth are a definite plus! Management has always kept an open door policy, in the time I've been here, and on several occasions closed that door to address things with me on a personal as well as professional level. I've never worked with a company that will actually go out of their way to help its employees in whatever manner they can. My experience outside of SkillSets has simply been you're a spoke in the wheel and here I feel I am recognized for my efforts both financially as well as publicly. I also enjoy having a weekly group meeting with the owners and other employees as it leads to a feeling of teamwork, unity and provides a feeling of being a part of the forward progression. Those meeting also serve as a forum to bring up things which may need to be talked about in any other area of the work environment.

I enjoy working for a company which values: teamwork, providing excellent customer service, extending products to the market only of a high caliber, feedback in all forms( in an effort to better themselves and products or fix problems brought to light) and pushes to stay ahead of the curve in the IT industry.

The commute for me isn't bad, the people who work here are great and we all get along in not only a professional atmosphere but a social atmosphere as well.

Cons

Management is willing to do their part in terms of training, coaching, molding, providing me with the tools I need to succeed here and sometimes I forget that if feel something is lacking that its ok to bring it up. At times there is a bit of overkill on forecasting the growth but I feel its mainly due to attempting to meet goals...goals that here and there are set on what we'd like to see happen rather than on proven numbers. Ambition can be a tricky thing but also pays the bills

Keep pursuing the additional revenue streams and striving for improvement/excellence

Great high energy, innovative company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of my favorite companies I've worked for yet, out-of-the-box thinking with a close family atmosphere. Very fair compensation, management is open to hear your ideas and implicate change based on your opinion. Excellent product as well, the training is thorough and convenient.

Cons

Small office workspace which sometimes makes it hard to get work done. Other than that its a great place to work.

Unbelieveable and not true to your word

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Danville, CA

I worked at Skillsets Online full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good start - we almost made it

Cons

Ended with selfishness and greediness

Glad you let everyone go. Now they can succeed.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I worked at Skillsets Online

Pros

great product...good commission split and great people to work with.

Cons

commission only and very few territories available

Challenging and forward thinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online

Pros

Management is all about the future. They focus on new products, new markets and new ideas to reach their goals. Even during the recession, management kept an open door policy, communicated how we were doing and tried to help the employees understand the situation as well as possible. SkillSets Online is also a work-hard/play-hard environment. Employees are given very specific goals to hit and are rewarded for doing so. As a final note, management is never satisfied with OK. The company is striving for excellence and is expecting everyone to do their share.

Cons

Any company that is relatively small has the financial challenges that go with a smaller sized company. Anyone looking to join a small company today almost has to expect this. Another down side of SkillSets Online is that they are located right in a part of Danville that has very little public transportation so you pretty much have to drive to work each day. You can't easily take the bus or bart.

Always keep focusing on the future but use that past as a guide of what can go right and what can go wrong. SkillSets Online has been around for over 5 years now and has a valued past that can give you insight to how best to prepare and manage for the future. Keep working on building new simulations and exciting tools because that's clearly what your customers want.

Outstanding and prepared me for the "real world"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Danville, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online

Pros

I recently left SkillSets Online because I did not meet my necessary sales targets. It was my own fault. I knew what I was getting into and I just was not able to make it happen. I liked the fact that the management fully supported me, trained me and did what they could to help me succeed. I had not done much sales before and I now realize sales may not be the best thing for me. I learned a lot from my direct manager and I really respected how much he tried to help me. One last thing. They are working on some very cool online training tools and simulations and I liked their forward thinking.

Cons

SkillSets is located in Danville and I live almost 30 miles away. The commute was tough for me. They do require that you show up on time and put in a full day. For me, that was hard sometimes.

Keep working hard and keep up those Monday meetings. I think you guys showed real class by keeping an open door policy and being upfront with your people. Not too many companies are like that! As you grow, it might be good to start building up a more senior management team but for now I think you guys have a good overall system. My final thoughts are that I would recommend any of my friends to give SkillSets Online a try but be prepared to work REALLY hard!!