Skillsets Online Reviews

3.9
Ronik Kar

Great Product, Challenging Environment

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always challenged to build the best product in the marketplace. High level of autonomy. Relaxed company culture. Competitive pay. Unlimited free training.

Cons

Smaller teams often lead to more work than can be done within normal work hours. We are offered fewer benefits than I'd like to have. Requirements, goals, standards and expectations are always in flux.

2. Silly company with a silly product and a pretty sleazy CEO.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Skillsets Online full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small team and relaxed atmosphere. The people that worked there were pretty cool as well.

Cons

The company doesn't have any products of its own, but just resells other training programs. In other words, they are a reseller. They were working on a new training software internally that was a pretty horrible idea and pretty bad.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and quit. The product is horrible and it's a sham of a company.

Skillsets Online Response

Mar 21, 2015 – President

We always appreciate feedback and reviews...as long as it is accurate. Therefore we felt the need to clarify 3 items regarding this particular review. First of all, we are NOT just a reseller of ... More

3. Great work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for this company is an excellent learning experience. There are many great ideas being implemented all of the time which gives me a lot of optimism for the future of the Skillsets Online. All of the employees work well together and there is definite synergy as a result. The management is always open and excited to hear new ideas.

Cons

Communication is good for the most part but can lack during hectic periods. This has improved immensely since I started so not much of a problem anymore.

Advice to Management

Definitely continue the weekly meetings. It is good to have everyone on the same page and it promotes the sense of being on the same "team."

5. Amazing combination of Talent and Team Players

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture at SkillSets Online is very dynamic, challenging and rewarding. In a highly competitive industry, we have a unique and successful approach that gets customers results and creates our competitve edge. The word synergy may be cliche, but it fits and after hard work and collaboration, the results speak for themselves. Management looks within first for talent for new opportunities.

Cons

While training is provided when needed, the policy is to hire talent that can self start and self manage. You should expect to figure many aspects of your role out without a formal training program.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch with the team as happens in many other companies.

6. SkillSets is in My Blood!!

Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots being done to increase business & Opportunities. Innovation gets implemented here. Awesome!

Cons

Some projects require intense effort.

Great place for me!

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked with SkillSets Online for some time now and feel I've had enough experiences across the board to give a sound review of the company. The forward thinking and plans for the future of the company in terms of size and growth are a definite plus! Management has always kept an open door policy, in the time I've been here, and on several occasions closed that door to address things with me on a personal as well as professional level. I've never worked with a company that will actually go out of their way to help its employees in whatever manner they can. My experience outside of SkillSets has simply been you're a spoke in the wheel and here I feel I am recognized for my efforts both financially as well as publicly. I also enjoy having a weekly group meeting with the owners and other employees as it leads to a feeling of teamwork, unity and provides a feeling of being a part of the forward progression. Those meeting also serve as a forum to bring up things which may need to be talked about in any other area of the work environment. I enjoy working for a company which values: teamwork, providing excellent customer service, extending products to the market only of a high caliber, feedback in all forms( in an effort to better themselves and products or fix problems brought to light) and pushes to stay ahead of the curve in the IT industry. The commute for me isn't bad, the people who work here are great and we all get along in not only a professional atmosphere but a social atmosphere as well.

Cons

Management is willing to do their part in terms of training, coaching, molding, providing me with the tools I need to succeed here and sometimes I forget that if feel something is lacking that its ok to bring it up. At times there is a bit of overkill on forecasting the growth but I feel its mainly due to attempting to meet goals...goals that here and there are set on what we'd like to see happen rather than on proven numbers. Ambition can be a tricky thing but also pays the bills

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing the additional revenue streams and striving for improvement/excellence

8. Great high energy, innovative company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Skillsets Online full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of my favorite companies I've worked for yet, out-of-the-box thinking with a close family atmosphere. Very fair compensation, management is open to hear your ideas and implicate change based on your opinion. Excellent product as well, the training is thorough and convenient.

Cons

Small office workspace which sometimes makes it hard to get work done. Other than that its a great place to work.

9. Unbelieveable and not true to your word

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Danville, CA

I worked at Skillsets Online full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good start - we almost made it

Cons

Ended with selfishness and greediness

Advice to Management

Glad you let everyone go. Now they can succeed.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

Pros

great product...good commission split and great people to work with.

Cons

commission only and very few territories available

11. Challenging and forward thinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, CA

Pros

Management is all about the future. They focus on new products, new markets and new ideas to reach their goals. Even during the recession, management kept an open door policy, communicated how we were doing and tried to help the employees understand the situation as well as possible. SkillSets Online is also a work-hard/play-hard environment. Employees are given very specific goals to hit and are rewarded for doing so. As a final note, management is never satisfied with OK. The company is striving for excellence and is expecting everyone to do their share.

Cons

Any company that is relatively small has the financial challenges that go with a smaller sized company. Anyone looking to join a small company today almost has to expect this. Another down side of SkillSets Online is that they are located right in a part of Danville that has very little public transportation so you pretty much have to drive to work each day. You can't easily take the bus or bart.

Advice to Management

Always keep focusing on the future but use that past as a guide of what can go right and what can go wrong. SkillSets Online has been around for over 5 years now and has a valued past that can give you insight to how best to prepare and manage for the future. Keep working on building new simulations and exciting tools because that's clearly what your customers want.

RSS Feed </> Embed