Skip of New York Reviews

1. Very rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Skip of New York

Pros

Mission driven culture is promoted. When I first started at Skip I was pleasantly surprised by the involvment of higher managmnet in the care and service they offer to children and their families. You would learn a lot at skip if you are new to non profit organizations.

Cons

Nothing you would not find in other work places, but specific to non profit organizations you are overworked and underpaid, ....

Advice to Management

same kind of care and concern given to children n familes should be given to employees so that people who stay with the organization do so with content.

2. Overworked, underpaid

Current Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator

I have been working at Skip of New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am employed. Some of my clients are great.

Cons

Only have thirty minute lunch break. The company is more concern that you are meeting billing within the first three weeks of the month. You have to clock in the work that you do, as in, if you have to five minute conversation, its case noted onto an electronic system and on paper. You have a range of 30-40 clients, who are demanding and rude. Majority of the time, I feel like I am client's personal assistance. This position is very short lived. People come in, see the bs, and quit as soon as they can.

Advice to Management

More pay for the amount of work that we put in

3. horrible job

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Scanning Coordinator in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Scanning Coordinator in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There arent any to be honest

Cons

Dont know how to speak to or treat employees. Expects to much for horrible pay. Look for any reason to fire a person. Cover things up so you can not collect anything.

Advice to Management

Get your crap together. Value the people who work for you and dont play favorites to those who kiss your butts.

Great Experience But...

Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Skip of New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The families and individuals that you will assist in getting services. I always feel appreciated and I am constantly being thanked for my hard work. Having an hour and a half window to get to work. Open door policy with any level of staff (no matter the person or department if you have a question someone will stop to answer you) A great place to "START" a career; if you are right out of college start at SKIP of New York. The day/week goes by quickly due to all the work.

Cons

No non-profit agency will pay great salaries however there is a huge discrepancy with positions, work-loads, and salaries at SKIP. Again my personal observance were certain positions were not needed and others that were extremely important were overlooked. The commute is not easy (on 26th St. between 11th and 12th) The use of DISPO - tracking all work to keep account of productivity adds to the mounting work you have to do. Only 37.50 hours not 40; benefits not so great.

Advice to Management

Review each department there are some people who work for SKIP that have roles/titles that are not needed. I have seen people look at their phone or search random things online from boredom and other people working so hard that they eat lunch at their desk. Let the individuals go that are not necessary and pay workers who are going above and beyond better salaries. HR and front line staff {front desk} need

6. Poor Upper Management

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Skip of New York

Pros

Co-workers and individuals served are wonderful

Cons

The upper management is not considerate of worker's needs. There is poor training to employees. Upper management is simply concerned about making money.

Advice to Management

Train employees properly, create a nicer working environment, consider the rate of turnover in the agency

7. Awful

I worked at Skip of New York

Pros

There are none to say unfortunately.

Cons

Pay is very little for such hard work.

How long can this agency survive?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission of agency to assist families with sick and disabled children is clear and strongly communicated Regular training sessions are scheduled that include external presenters. These sessions are an opportunity for novice staff to learn about benefits and services available to the families they are assisting

Cons

Supervisors too often do not have the skills they need to lead a group nor do they seem to have the knowledge required to impart to novice staff New case managers are assigned caseloads so small it is impossible for them to meet the billing standards expected and faulted for lack of productivity Excessive staff turnover has resulted in poor continuity of services to families and continuing stress for supervisors who must constantly train new staff and carry caseloads until staff is replaced Board of Directors apparently is unconcerned about the decline in the reputation of the agency and has been unconcerned as the executive director hired her son in an unnecessary position as a videographer and paying him a salary twice that of the average caseworker.

Advice to Management

Increase caseloads to the maximum to ensure that all caseworkers have an opportunity to meet billing standards Continuously review training needs of staff and develop a procedures manual that enables each case manager to be successful in their role

9. great organization

I have been working at Skip of New York part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a family closely and flexibility in schedule. You have the freedom to use different strategies while teaching. If you need extra support your case manager is always reachable.

Cons

Lot of paperwork but not overwhelming

Advice to Management

cant think of anything other then maybe more pay increases for great workers.

10. Administrative

Former Employee - Administrative in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The upside is the company does great things with good purpose. Coworkers are generally friendly and try to be helpful.

Cons

Double standards exist to the extreme at this company at the managerial/supervisor level and everyone else in regards to policy. Certain managers are extremely poor communicators. I directed confronted my boss about my coworkers total lack of ability and work ethic and they basically gave me every excuse and lied to my face. They made no attempts to work with said employee or anything constructive, while at other times questioning perfectly capable people who are doing a great job. Everyone is overloaded due to the non profit nature of the company, but little is done about it. Managers are very unprofessional and complain openly to employees about other employees, which I think is very inappropriate. Managers also swear and yell and are not good under pressure.

Advice to Management

Work on communication and hold everyone to the same standards.

11. Awful place to work

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sadly I can't think of any pros to this job. Perhaps the fact that they seemed desperate to hire someone may help someone fresh out of college get some experience in this field.

Cons

This honesly was the worst job I've ever had. The micromanaging that goes on is not only unneccessary but completely ridiculous. As an employee you must be accountable by logging into a computer system for every 10 minutes of your time!! This was the stupidest, most crazy thing I've seen while on a job site! In addition supervisory staff would watch over your shoulder constantly which I found so frustraing and degrading. This company does not seem to releazie that they have ADULTS working for them and not children! There is honeslty not even enough work to do at times and heaven forbid the company would allow you to leave early on a holiday or a Friday. I had almost all of the families I worked with tell me that I was the tenth SKIP employee they had in a very short amount of time which makes perfect sense when I consider the poor treatment you are given as a staff member. Honestly it really was the worst job I ever had. By the way I worked in the Buffalo office.

Advice to Management

Read the comments here-they are all true.

RSS Feed </> Embed