Skip of New York

Administrative

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The upside is the company does great things with good purpose. Coworkers are generally friendly and try to be helpful.

Cons

Double standards exist to the extreme at this company at the managerial/supervisor level and everyone else in regards to policy. Certain managers are extremely poor communicators. I directed confronted my boss about my coworkers total lack of ability and work ethic and they basically gave me every excuse and lied to my face. They made no attempts to work with said employee or anything constructive, while at other times questioning perfectly capable people who are doing a great job. Everyone is overloaded due to the non profit nature of the company, but little is done about it. Managers are very unprofessional and complain openly to employees about other employees, which I think is very inappropriate. Managers also swear and yell and are not good under pressure.

Work on communication and hold everyone to the same standards.

Insular at Skip but a good learning opportunity out of college

I worked at Skip of New York

Pros

You will learn about working with families who have disabled children. You will be able to learn about state and federal disability benefits and other organizations in the field. There is some possibility of being able to supervise a team. Amazing people work in social services who will be of great support.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for growth at SKIP because it is a small organization. If you're looking for experience in social services out of college you will learn a lot, and can gain some management experience. However, most should look for further growth in the field outside of SKIP, or getting their Master's into an area of focus they can specialize. SKIP is not as large and diversified as other NYC agencies and at times can be insular and out of touch with the collaborators in the field.

Greater self-care needed for supervisors and upper management and more collaborative partnerships with other providers.

A terrible place to work

Former Employee - Service Coordinator  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sadly I can't think of any...honestly.

Cons

You are constantly micro managed.
    You have to bill for EVERYTHING that you do and keep track of every ten minutes you work by logging it into a computer. I found this absolutely ridiculous. Made me feel like a child even though I'm a grown adult with a mortgage, kids, experience and a college education.
    The pay is awful.
    Managment could care less about you.
    No perks available to make up for the low wages. Most of the girls in the office (I worked at the Buffalo Office) are Mom's with children at home. I honestly felt like this job could be done on a part time basis or even some of it at home but the only thing managment wants to see is you glued to the desk for 8 hours straight with basically NOTHING to do at times. Families constantly told me how many S.C.'s they had went through and it took me all of a week to realize why. Even when you've have a simple conversation at your desk (during a down time when you didn't have much to do) you would get a look from managment.

Read these reviews and learn from them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

don't work here unless you're desperate.

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time

Pros

the families on my caseload were great. developing relationships with them and helping them gain access to the services they needed was meaningful to me. if you're lucky to have one of the good supervisors, your general day-to-day won't be terrible. the "take back time" policy is nice so you can go home early sometimes.

Cons

terrible compensation. can't live off it in nyc. upper management does not care at all about staff. families complain all the time that they get a new case manager every month because staff isn't paid enough. it's sad but true. management knows this, they hear it all the time too but nothing ever changes. they don't reward hard work properly.

listen to advice.

Definitely an experience gaining company, but not a place you'll ever love

I worked at Skip of New York

Pros

Working with the families/clients; exposure to social service and child care; located in the heart of the city

Cons

Management sucks and doesn't value employees; Benefits and pay are stagnant; Ability to grow is rare unless highly favored

Hardest Job But Greatest Rewards

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get to make a real difference in the lives of families with sick and disabled kids. I have accumulated countless unforgettable memories from the many years I worked at SKIP. My favorite thing about the job is that you get to fight the bad guys on behalf of the kids and their overwhelmed families and you usually get to win. An amazing learning experience that continues over time. Flexible work schedule. Full benefits. A great opportunity for anyone who wants to advocate for sick kids and isnt afraid of hard work.

Cons

As with any non-profit agency, salaries are very low when compared with similar positions and similar educational requirements in for profit companies. If you want to get rich, you wont do that at SKIP...try being an investment banker or a rock star instead. A caring person can experience a lot of emotional stress from working with such sick children and overwhelmed families over time. It is also easy to get caught up in a family's distress and it takes experience to learn to balance time spent working with personal life and family.

I have not found the management to be overly intrusive at all , and I was never micromanaged. I had free access to the Executive Director and was free to ask questions. It is worth noting that the Executive Director knows more about Medicaid and the rights of Medicaid recipients than most of Medicaid management. I was granted time off when I needed it. Demands were made in terms of the quality of services provided to families by employees, but these families needed quality services. Management often requires employees to go beyond the written job description, but SKIP clients have extraordinary needs and need extraordinary effort on their behalf. Salary may be beyond management's control but if there is any way to increase salaries, this would go a long way in improving job satisfaction for many employees. I also feel that sick time poicy could be changed so that it can accumulate without limit. If an employee shows up every day, they should have sick time to use if they become seriously ill. Since many SKIP employees come to the agency as their first job, many may have false expectations. Perhaps an honest talk about the realities of work at SKIP including the pros and cons would be helpful. There is no doubt that an employee can make more money working less hours with less stress in many other positions, but I doubt the rewards are as great. The Executive Director is the first person at work every day, and usually the last to leave, only to work at home. She was a great role model for me when I was starting out, and has taught me so much about health care, medicaid and patients' rights.

"A Hostile Environment"

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are helping children and adults with disabilities access the services they need to improve their quality of life.

Cons

Senior management is brutal, clinically insane and destructive. The work environment makes you paranoid. You need to watch your back and senior management thrives on it.

No, thanks!

Ex Employee

I worked at Skip of New York

Pros

There are none sad to say!!

Cons

HR Dept sucks and they constantly harass their employees and do not know how to treat them. They should be looked into cause they have way to many turn overs.

You should learn how to treat the people who work for you so than maybe you can get some better reviews on your company.

A Nightmare

I worked at Skip of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Your co workers. Trust only your fellow case managers. Besides the families they'll be the only ones who will ever value, understand, and appreciate the work you do.

-You'll feel smarter than the executive director and most of the upper management after about the first week or the first internal email.

-You'll learn to be ready for a supervisory role at your next job by doing the opposite of SKIP's upper management

-health insurance

- If you're desperate for a job, it's easy to get hired. Keep your head down and avoid MM, EB, and KV.

Cons

-Supervisors and upper management only spend their time micromanaging and creating situations to ensure that you fail

- Upper management only worrying about the most unimportant things in the world such as making sure you sign in on your paper time sheet, holding a stop watch to see how many seconds late you are from your assigned lunch time, and making conversation at your desk (because it's not billable)

-Employees aren't valued. Expect nothing from SKIP but be expected to give your all for them

- Upper management lies on a daily basis and will manipulate every situation to make themselves look better. ( when the power goes off and the building is being closed, you shouldn't tell your employees "you" are letting them go home early)

- The training is so poor. Employees are easily disgruntled. There is no motivation to work and because of this, the families suffer

- Bridges are constantly burned between upper management and the state, which directly affects the case managers.

Quit. Begin turning the agency to individuals who have better communication skills so that SKIP can become somewhat respected again. Find people who have an idea on how to run a business. Don't call yourself a non-profit when all you're concerned with is billing. Don't lie to the employees about your finances when anyone can access your public tax forms online. Throw the employees a bone every now and then. Giving everyone a half day before a holiday weekend won't sink the ship. You're not paying employees 6 figures so the least you should do is be respectful and try to supplement the pitiful salary with perks and kind gestures.

Worst years of my life

Current Employee - N/A  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Skip of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I gained four years of experience which has enabled me to take what I have learned and be a great asset to better organizations.

Cons

Unprofessional Management Team
    Horrible Salary
    Abundance of Job Duties
    Hostile Work Environment

Hire a new management team if you want your organization to expand

Worked for Skip of New York? Contribute to the Community!