Skipper Marine

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael J. Pretasky

Skipper Marine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Winthrop Harbor, IL

ProsMy department was family friendly.

ConsI had no negative experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are managing to sell boats in a down economy. Keep on keeping on.

I worked for less than a year as a sales professional.

Sales Professional (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my work environment
    Large company with plenty of inventory

ConsI was not trained for even a second.
    I was unguided.
    I was not given a warning before being let go, so job stability is low because that has happened to a few others.
    Only work for SkipperBud's if you have previous experience and won't need help and guidance. Also, you must be unafraid of a surprise firing as the manager that fired me was not very present in my budding career, but decided from afar that it was time to let me go.
    The boating industry is declining with each generation.
    I believe I was not given enough time for management actually gauge my possible success or failure.
    I needed more time to build my client book, which I believe was working, but management had no idea what I was working on because they were too busy selling boats themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to focus more on managing the sales people. A lot of managers are also selling boats and they have zero time to help or actually monitor their sales people. Most the time, management would not even answer my phone calls or respond to my emails.

Second piece of advice, when you are letting go an employee, try to make it more professional and tactical. Do not use tacky phrases like you would in the situation of breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend. Please figure out what you're going to say beforehand and approach the situation with tact. Let the employee know that you appreciate the things they did right, and let them know what they might be able to improve for their next job. Possibly, treat them like a human being and ask if they are going to be okay, rather than speeding through the uncomfortable conversation and getting out of there as fast as you can.

Lastly, please train unexperienced people or give them time to learn by themselves if that is what you want.

A Lot of Turnover In Sales

Showroom Floor Sales (Former Employee)
    Volo, IL

ProsSome good people to work with, plenty of inventory on hand. Multiple locations within 7-8 states across country. Good locations either on water or close to it.

ConsUse uncommon metrics to measure your success and provide you with the ability to keep your job. Must work weekends and 1 evening per week

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave people alone if they have proven that they can sell boats

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer/Winter Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEven as a temporary employee and high school graduate I was trusted to complete tasks which the professional before me could not.

ConsThe office did not lend itself well to a good work atmosphere. I also had to drive over an hour to and from work and don't feel i was rightfully compensated for it on my hourly wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you plan to hire an intern again, try to have specific tasks outlined to complete each day, and make an effort to teach.

Worked for Skipper Marine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skipper Marine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skipper Marine CEO Michael J. Pretasky. All reviews posted anonymously by Skipper Marine employees.