Skipton Building Society Reviews

Reset
3.6
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter

1. Skipton Building Society- Administrative Assistant (Temporary)

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay within a friendly team atmosphere. Basic duties are relatively simple and repetitive, requiring a basic level of computer proficiency to perform.

Cons

Due to the temporary nature of the position I held, training was minimal and responsibilities were kept to simple and repetitive tasks.

2. Structured, proffessional and welcoming

Former Contractor - CDSA - Project Support in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - CDSA - Project Support in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work. Everyone was really welcoming and the level of structure and organisation just made it a relaxing, efficient environment. As a mutual, teams were generally resourced to the right level and everyone could just get on with the job they were meant to do.

Cons

Parking was limited while I was there but this may have been resolved now. Key corporate values and messages didn't always cascade as well as they could have done, some people were a bit indifferent towards them.

Advice to Management

Spend more time seeing and understanding how key messages filter down across the building society. I often minuted board meetings where initiatives (e.g. developing a 'Lean' organisation) were discussed and my experience was that messages discussed and agreed in board rooms became a bit watered down by the time it was delivered to the rest of the Building Society.

3. Awful, never worked for a worse organisation.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I hope this building society collapses.

Cons

Treated badly from start to finish despite turning a branch successful. Was given a good rating on my review and literally the next day told to clear my office out for no reason what so ever. I would have taken to court for unfair dismissal but as I had been there a week under 6 months, employment law does not allow this.

Advice to Management

After the way I was treated there I would not share any advice I could give.

5. A very comfortable experience.

Former Intern - Software Test Analyst in Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Software Test Analyst in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Well my first day at Skipton Building Society wasn't a usual one. My supervisor knew what I was capable of and ensured that I received work that I can handle. Furthermore if I was late, my supervisor wouldn't blatantly insult me like I got insulted in my previous work places. They were understanding and supportive (I wasn't late all the time but since I am from Bradford, the trains sometimes weren't operating properly during harsh weather in winter).

Cons

We are given tasks that may be out of our comfort zone, at first I was very uncomfortable working on them however I soon realised these tasks are giving me skills and knowledge which will benefit me greatly if I ever worked in a different company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and always challenge your employees. Without the challenges I went through I wouldn't be where I am now.

6. Great place to work

I worked at Skipton Building Society

Pros

The fact Skipton is a mutual with its members at its heart means it's got a slightly different mindset from corporates who are there to service the shareholders (who aren't always the customer). It gives you the feeling you're genuinely on the side of your customers.

Cons

The exec team have to get the balance between putting customers first and being a profitable business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't.

7. A great local employer

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Cons

Advice to Management

Communicate with the staff more to help them understand the bigger picture for how and why decisions have been made.

RSS Feed </> Embed