Skipton Building Society

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
4.1

John B. Rawlings

A very comfortable experience.

Former Employee - Software Test Analyst  in  Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Test Analyst in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Well my first day at Skipton Building Society wasn't a usual one. My supervisor knew what I was capable of and ensured that I received work that I can handle. Furthermore if I was late, my supervisor wouldn't blatantly insult me like I got insulted in my previous work places. They were understanding and supportive (I wasn't late all the time but since I am from Bradford, the trains sometimes weren't operating properly during harsh weather in winter).

Cons

We are given tasks that may be out of our comfort zone, at first I was very uncomfortable working on them however I soon realised these tasks are giving me skills and knowledge which will benefit me greatly if I ever worked in a different company.

Keep up the good work and always challenge your employees. Without the challenges I went through I wouldn't be where I am now.

Great place to work

I worked at Skipton Building Society

Pros

The fact Skipton is a mutual with its members at its heart means it's got a slightly different mindset from corporates who are there to service the shareholders (who aren't always the customer). It gives you the feeling you're genuinely on the side of your customers.

Cons

The exec team have to get the balance between putting customers first and being a profitable business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't.

A great local employer

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Cons

Communicate with the staff more to help them understand the bigger picture for how and why decisions have been made.

Worked for Skipton Building Society? Contribute to the Community!