Skipton Building Society

4.1

John B. Rawlings

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Structured, proffessional and welcoming

Former Employee - CDSA - Project Support  in  Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CDSA - Project Support in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It was a great place to work. Everyone was really welcoming and the level of structure and organisation just made it a relaxing, efficient environment. As a mutual, teams were generally resourced to the right level and everyone could just get on with the job they were meant to do.

Cons

Parking was limited while I was there but this may have been resolved now. Key corporate values and messages didn't always cascade as well as they could have done, some people were a bit indifferent towards them.

Spend more time seeing and understanding how key messages filter down across the building society. I often minuted board meetings where initiatives (e.g. developing a 'Lean' organisation) were discussed and my experience was that messages discussed and agreed in board rooms became a bit watered down by the time it was delivered to the rest of the Building Society.

A very comfortable experience.

Former Employee - Software Test Analyst  in  Skipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Test Analyst in Skipton, England (UK)

I worked at Skipton Building Society as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Well my first day at Skipton Building Society wasn't a usual one. My supervisor knew what I was capable of and ensured that I received work that I can handle. Furthermore if I was late, my supervisor wouldn't blatantly insult me like I got insulted in my previous work places. They were understanding and supportive (I wasn't late all the time but since I am from Bradford, the trains sometimes weren't operating properly during harsh weather in winter).

Cons

We are given tasks that may be out of our comfort zone, at first I was very uncomfortable working on them however I soon realised these tasks are giving me skills and knowledge which will benefit me greatly if I ever worked in a different company.

Keep up the good work and always challenge your employees. Without the challenges I went through I wouldn't be where I am now.

Worked for Skipton Building Society? Contribute to the Community!