Skoah

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
4.2

CEO

Supportive company, especially if you're interested in growth opportunities.

I have been working at Skoah

Pros

I've worked here for over 4 years - part time as a receptionist/retail associate (SCC) while I was in school, then store management, then moved to a new city to help open new locations. They are growing fast and would prefer to promote within, so if you're engaged and interested in learning, you can move up quickly. Their vision and focus on culture among employees is really positive and supportive - and it makes most of the people here really fun to work with. It's also pretty exciting to watch how we keep outgrowing our current stores.

Cons

If you're looking for a mindless job, this won't be for you. They definitely reward effort, which is a good thing - but it can be challenging. This is also why as a retail associate you get paid well above minimum wage to start, with bonus incentives.
    Since they are new to Seattle, the pace can be a bit unpredictable - busy certain days, slow others. But this is when they ask for input and allow you to be part of the marketing effort (networking, planning events with other businesses, etc)

Keep listening to your employees feedback and reward people who perform consistently and are loyal to you.

One of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exceptionally positive brand culture represented all the way up to the orginators, thorough training (even for those with no skincare/beauty industry background) , and genuine support from upper management encourages growth within the company. Extremely competitive pay. Excitement of being at ground-level with a growing company.

Cons

Since they're so new to the US, there are still a few things that may take some time to work out. Inventory control and HR issues such as benefits and scheduling are handled from Canada. They are still growing and evolving, and for some, the process of growth may be challenging.

To be competitive, a US HR rep is necessary, as are health benefits for full-time/salaried employees. Take your time working out all the kinks, and continue to listen to your employees needs. That is how skoah stands out as an employer.

irresponsible, unethical...

Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Generl Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Skoah full-time (less than a year)

Pros

skincare is nice, store front looks good. It's hard to come up with more than that.

Cons

Lost personal Security and info, failure to pay final wages, inappropriate questions to employees regarding medical conditions...
    I ended up having to file a complaint with Washington Sate Department of Labor and Industries for failure to pay final wages.

You may want to review the proper labor laws here in the USA before someone sues you.

Skoah Response

Mar 21, 2014Human Resources

We are aware of this former employee's concerns and have certainly paid any outstanding wages once quarterly results had been finalized as outlined. We hold medical information received in confidence ... More

Have learned more here than any other job in my life. Great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Skoah full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel challenged but also have a lot of responsibility. Everything at skoah has been thought about deeply and major decisions are made by consulting the people working in the stores. To me this is a big part of why people feel like they are a part of skoah's success.

Cons

If you have low energy this wouldn't be for you. There is lots happening and lots of potential opportunities. You need to be energized by change and growth.

Continue to make the team a part of the big decisions. Continue to use the company kore values. The culture of skoah is what gets me here everyday and thinking about my job when I am not at work!

A place where you actually learn things!

I have been working at Skoah full-time

Pros

You learn a lot about effectively communicating and making decisions. It is more than just a retail job- you actually learn about people and quality service. The training develops you as a professional. Highly recommended for those who want a career in sales, customer service and working with an active team.

Cons

No cons really. Things are always on the go so if you like to stay productive then you will enjoy your time while working

Keep up the open communication lines and openness for everyone to work together as a team.

Challenging but fun. Always new opportunities to learn!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Skoah full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So many different areas to learn at skoah- I was able to work on campaign execution, social media, analytics, retail operations, press releases, etc. The team is supportive, even if there's a learning curve; they would rather you take on a challenge rather than hire someone who knows how to everything. They encourage learning and development.

Cons

Lots of pressing deadlines. There are highs and lows, especially when there are simultaneous projects to complete. Some late nights here and there, but we did it together! Everyone is always willing to help out.

Keep sharing the company's growth. More stores and more expansion is exciting for everyone!

great company, lot of opportunities

Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Skin Care Coach (Retail Associate) in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Skoah full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the people, the products, the company's vision. If you're looking to get into management, this is the place to do it. I know of so many people who started as estheticians and moved up to management or training positions. Anything is possible! The owners are amazing and are so good at what they do. Also, the facials are delightful!

Cons

Everything moves at a very fast pace. It is a growing company, so you are expected to jump on board. There is a lot to learn especially at the beginning, and it may be hard to grasp all the product knowledge. Performance expectations are high, but that pushes you to work harder and be better.

Follow up with the people in your stores. Make them feel supported. Never let any little thing pass by you.

Great energy but a little catty

Former Employee - SCT in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - SCT in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Skoah part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of team spirit! The owner is an inspiration and the product line is great. There is a lot of support and motivation to sell and succeed.

Cons

The girls are incredibly dramatic and self absorbed. Because of it's more casual atmosphere, the store lacks professionalism and process. Head office will implement a set of rules, but then there's no follow up. A few stores are fun down and need maintenance. But head office seems to brush that off which makes the people that work there feel unappreciated. Probably why they don't care.

Take the advice from your girls. When they say they need something, they probably do. Otherwise they feel like no one cares. That leads to poor work performance and gossip.

Skoah Photos