Skrill

Siegfried Heimgaertner

Good place for work

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skrill full-time for more than 3 years

Proseasy of communication on different levels

Consno clear view for future at the moment

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease manage company with balance in every aspect

Avoid at any cost

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Skrill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsConvenient office location
Flexible working hours

ConsIncompetent senior management
Awful HR team - high staff turnover, lack of respect of employees
Everything is done on an ad hoc basis, no strategy or vision
Lack of opportunities to grow in the business

Do yourself a favour and don't work at Skrill

ITD (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skrill full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis review reflects the situation in ITD team in Sofia.

- 3-5 good people left in the whole department.
- Some limited exposure to large scale operations.

ConsThis review reflects the situation in ITD team in Sofia.

Honestly, I don't know where to begin.

- Senior management people are joke. Most of them (a ton of VPs) were hired (6-12 months ago) so that Skrill could look 'corporate' before being sold to CVC. Pretty much all of them are not here for the long term (most of them are with temp contracts and will leave once the new owners set in), but are there to make a quick buck and get their bonuses. As a result, you can constantly hear the people bellow to complain that Skrill has no vision and strategy. Let's face it, Skrill is not owned by a visionary company, but by investment fund. They will want to buy cheap, polish a crappy product and try to sell it expensively. There is absolutely no vision for more than three months ahead. If you're in ITD team, don't count doing anything new and off the beaten track. No innovation at all.

- Talent in ITD team. Besides 2-3 people that are sitting there maybe for altruistic reasons, there rest of the team is a joke. Since the beginning of 2013, around 20-25% of the people left, most of them not being replaced at all (because regular hiring was fronzen and still is in November, but contractors are hired at large). The others replaced by interns or inexperienced ones. The people that left were the more experienced and senior ones, no problem finding a better paying job elsewhere. Most of the team today consists of other inexperienced, incompetent, outright lazy people waiting to get fired (and being compensated in the process with 2-3 salaries). There is pretty much nothing you can learn form the team there and no reason you should be there in the first place. You don't know if your job is not going to be outsorsed to a contractor in another country.

- Culture. Pretty bad communication and cooperation between ITD and IT teams. A turf war, everyone holding for their ground. One employee was fired recently for posting a negative comment for Skrill's mobile app on Google Play store. Pretty bad cooperation between senior management and the people bellow them. No transparent decisions and total surpises (in the negative way).

- ITD senior management. Let's just mildly put it - not the sharpest pencils in the box. The CTO was recently fired, the incompetent friends that he brought with him are next in line. They did most of the damage in the ITD team and are directly responsible for the majority of attrition in 2013.

- Salaries are bellow the market level, you can easily find a similar job elswere and be offered 20-25% more. Bonuses only for managers and above, none or laughable for the regular employees.

- Market position. Skrill is mostly relying on gaming income (in Europe ,as US is difficult right now). Skrill lost the non-gaming war with Paypal a long time ago. With the delay in launching its API platform (maybe will not be launched at all), the current clumzy merchant integration does not appeal to the startups. On that front Skrill's lunch is being eaten by likes of Stripe, Paymill and Braintree (aquired by Paypal). On mPOS front, Skrill has no offerings and shortage of talent to develop a solution like SumUP, iZettle or Square (still not available in Europe).

- Outlook for the future - grim. Since Skrill image on the local job market in Bulgaria is ruined, most of the positions are left unfilled. This leads to using external contractors that cost 3x the local employee cost (currently from Serbia and Poland). The contractors are not even doing a good job as it took forever to get online the new version of the web site with lots of problems. This is also bad in the long term, when the contractors leave, it's up to the employees to pick up the mess. No or very little knowledge transfer occurs.

Given all the reasons above I can't think of any reason why you should work at Skrill. This company seems to be on a slow way to certain demise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's so messed up, I'm not sure at all what to say. I guess leave and let more competent people be hired? To the new owners, double check to books for irregularities, fire the responsible and try at least to hire some decent people.

Horrible senior management

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Skrill full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat technology, very good positioning in the market

ConsSenior management completely clueless, no strategy nor vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat had to happen, happened, all the senior management got replaced, finally the company can go somewhere.

Very friendly atmosphere, correct employer

Customer Support Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skrill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat young colleagues, good salary for BG market, interesting TB-s, internal trainings

ConsNot so much development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementI really hope we will finally get some instant long-term managers, it is not very good for entire company life to have so frequent management changes

Overall good company to work for

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Skrill full-time for more than a year

ProsRegular payments, bonuses on project completions.

ConsMisunderstandings at the upper management levels.

People have possibility to work on different projects

Quality Assurance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skrill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people and teams, interesting projects

ConsPoor management, poor communication with staff

Review title

NoSQL Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skrill full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnice work atmosphere and interesting projects

Consplease enter at least five words

Worked for Skrill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skrill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skrill CEO Siegfried Heimgaertner. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Skrill employees.