Skullcandy
www.skullcandy.com Park City, UT 150 to 499 Employees

Skullcandy Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014
Skullcandy – Park City – “HQ!”

Hoby Darling

Business Development

International Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
    San Clemente, CA

ProsGreat place to work I recommend

Consunstable marketplace and lack of coaching

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advices

Awesome culture and inspiring senior leadership team.

(Current Employee)
    Park City, UT

Pros-Culture: flexible scheduling, casual dress, fun people, and creative work environment
    -Senior Leadership: communication is clear and often from the top. Our senior leaders have a true passion for the products and come with a lot of solid experience. None of them sit in a corner office and instead are very visible and active with the rest of the team. Employees are publicly acknowledged for their successes.
    -Work-ethic: this is not a place for clock watchers. Employees work hard and often late to get the job done!
    -Opportunity: there is so much opportunity to directly affect change at Skullcandy and to create new processes and/or alter existing ones.

ConsThe team is small and so people normally are responsible for work that at other companies might spread across 2-4 people. This can be overwhelming BUT if you love the brand/products and are able to prioritize & strategize around your space, it's very rewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication coming!

Fun work environment and culture, below market pay

Park City, UT

ProsFlex time, fun work environment, new ideas can be accepted

ConsSometimes Patronizing senior management, low wages

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management could be improved to help create some continuity when an individual leaves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung leadership, willing to take chances, exposure to the business outside your department, flexible schedule, interesting if somewhat confusing culture, great network for pro-deals.

ConsBelow average pay, uninspired human resource department, no paid time off (flex time is a joke), Management mocks employees who do not fit "the skullcandy culture" which is an ever changing element.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is not setup to develop and maintain good talent. Alter practices or the best non-management employees will continue to leave for better paying jobs.

Fast-paced & fun work environment

Park City, UT

ProsCompany culture is fun and active; we can get roudy at times. Great career growth opportunities. Lead by the dynamo, Hoby Darling, who is infusing enthusiasm and commitment into the Skullcandy Team with a dedicated vision true to our roots.

ConsAt Skullcandy we work hard. People are often working late, and doing the work of more than one person. Hard work is noticed, and expected, which is great to accomplish a ton, but a fine line in being overbearing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate fairly those who are in line with company goals and prove dedication to success of the company. Those of us starting out our careers at Skullcandy need to know that our work is making a difference, and have that appreciation reflected in salary increases where due. Work to keep your best employees.

Startup culture, low level of talent

Park City, UT

ProsOffice is designed like a skatepark, complete freedom regarding computer use (streaming music, youtube, social media etc), discounted ski passes, opportunities if you are coming in as management

ConsHaving worked in conservative (ie business casual) organizations in the past, the level of talent at Skullcandy was disappointing. A lot of kids without previous work experience who are looking to be ski bums. Skullcandy couldn't seem to strike the right balance between laid back and getting work done. Also, extreme disparity in pay between functional groups and management vs sole contributors

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, the culture is cool, but there needs to be clear direction and a sense of urgency around projects and daily work. Most importantly, pay needs to be more in line with industry and disparity between employees in the same job needs to be resolved (performance-based, of course).

Great place to work with great people and a great culture

Summer Analyst (Current Employee)
    Park City, UT

ProsSkullcandy is a growing company with an incredible culture. The office is awesome and the CEO Hoby Darling is doing a great job at establishing Skullcandy as a market leader.

ConsThere are few living options near the office headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A transitional company on the mend

Park City, UT

ProsThey're making the right decisions, and getting rid of excess departments and offices. Excellent people with a passion to play hard and work harder.

Constook too long to start correcting the ship, and the company trajectory to maintain rock star senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving change in the right areas, and keep listening to employees about what needs to be changed to bring back the Skullcandy of yore!

Worked for Skullcandy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skullcandy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skullcandy CEO Hoby Darling. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Skullcandy employees.