Skullcandy Reviews

Hoby Darling

1. Excellent

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people to work with and they have solid focus on product strengths.

Cons

There are no cons working for this business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Skullcandy not an equal opportunity company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

Pros

There is a really good benefits package. Sometimes you get free headphones during company promotions.

Cons

If you are a woman and thinking about working at Skullcandy you should reconsider. There is a deep bias towards women at this company and a very real glass ceiling. Women do not advance at the same rate as men and do not hold any senior leadership director roles except for one in HR. If you are a woman and your boss is a man expect you will have limited opportunities at the company including continuing education, training, travel, salary increases and advancement. My best comparison is that Skullcandy has a frat house atmosphere. As a whole the company has an unprofessionally approach to most topics and there is much inappropriate sexual humor that takes place out in the open during the workday. The bias problem is widespread though out all departments but some departments are notably worse than others. In general there is not much diversity at the company.

Advice to Management

Review all of your departments for gender bias by looking into the diversity of the department, the pay for women in each department compared to men and other red flags. Curb the inappropriate humor and conversations that go on.

Skullcandy Response

Aug 5, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candid and honest feedback, we value the opinions of our teammates. Our management team is committed to making SKDY a diverse, fun and positive workplace for all. We will continue ... More

3. Good job if you're single and live in Park City.

I worked at Skullcandy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, fun people for the most part, the 'prestige' of working for somewhere 'cool' like Skullcandy (you might see a celebrity or pro athlete! OMG!). The perks if you value them. Casual work environment & flexibility. There are good departments, positions, managers - if you can actually land that job.

Cons

Make no mistake that this is corporation with human resources purposefully stretched thin all dressed up in 'culture' - and this lipstick-on-a-pig is 100% for the benefit of shareholders (not you or your career). The ideal employee is someone who is single, lives in Park City, wants their entire social & work life to be the same, and thinks the skiing at the Canyons is great (worst resort skiing in the Wasatch FYI). All the big talk is designed to keep you strung along on a meager salary - don't lose sight of the fact that you are a $ amount that can be replaced at any time. Especially true since every snowboarder, skater, and college grad is willing to take the lowest pay possible to work at the brand they identified with when they were a teenager. Almost 100 people including the majority of upper management left the company in the couple years after going public. With virtually no backfill for these positions, the additional workload was spread around the company with little more than a high five for 'just doing your job'. This barebones operation continues: expect to wear many hats and have your performance held to unrealistic standards, but paid entry-level high-school-grad salary. Instead of promoting from within (the reason to take an entry level job here in the first place) they typically resort to hiring externally to fill low to mid-level management positions ("we need the PERFECT candidate"). It is no secret at the company that one of the main metrics of job performance is who is still there at 7pm 'getting the work done done done'. HR is more concerned with ordering pizza and having food trucks come by to 'get you stoked' than actually fighting for employees and doing meaningful work. Lots of sleeping with each other / married leading to unprofessional conflicts of interest. If this was such a dream employer then there would be only one or two open positions available every year. Good place to learn for a year or two, not a good place to stay. Word of warning - the hiring / interview process will take a long time - don't expect an interview for 2-3 months, and then another 2-3 months to make a decision and approve budget for said position.

Advice to Management

Buy back the shares and take the company private - going public killed its soul and made margins more important than people.

5. Hard Charging and Doing Cool Things

Current Employee - Operations in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has gone through a massive transition over the last year for the positive. Really cool spot now doing a whole lot more than just making headphones. Management team constantly lives and talks about switching the paradigm from being a "normal" company that does things for financial reasons into a "missionary" company that starts with people at the foundation of the place. Lives it and not just words. Management really cares about the team and where the company is going. Just a really cool vibe in the office. Tons of career opportunities with a really young team.

Cons

Definitely a place where excellence is expected and management and high achievers are very driven and expect a lot. But--that is really cool when you are a hard worker, want to learn and win.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Company in constant transition- losing the headphone market and has lost its mojo.

Current Employee - R & D in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - R & D in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great young team with tons of energy, start up driven environment, lots of opportunities to learn and contribute in impactful ways, excellent first job out of college.

Cons

The company seems to be constant transition, and it's way too apparent that it is solely bottom line driven. Get it, learn what you can, and get out.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring couples for key management positions, it puts employees in compromising situations and creates an uncomfortable environment for the employees that have to report to them. Especially in the HR department!

7. Best Place to Work in Park City

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, the leadership team really cares about making Skullcandy a fun place to work. Lots of opportunities for career advancement and challenging assignments. Sweet benefits such as flex time and summer Friday's, subsidized season passes to mountain resorts, powder days, gym reimbursement, tuition assistance and great employee discount. The medical plan meets my needs and isn't super expensive. SKUL University is the new learning and development program and it's rad! Most importantly, I love the people I work with - it's not often that you get to work AND play with your friends. The company promotes living an active lifestyle and the CEO hosts team workouts every other week. The executives all sit in an open pit (no ivory towers here!) and openly communicate with everyone. Fun atmosphere for sure!

Cons

Because the company is growing, the work-life balance is sometimes hard. I find myself working a lot of hours but I also don't mind b/c I know what I'm doing is making a difference and that my co-workers rely on me. The company is really lean and mean so I think adding some resources would be helpful to creating more work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I"m stoked to be on this team and very excited for the future!!! Maybe keep the skull huddles on time too :)

8. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture and people. The people live the lifestyle of action sports, creative, music. It is a lot like being back in college--in a good way. Work hard for sure but always being pushed, friends around, and a cool product/marketing/etc. Park City is also a huge plus for snowboarding, trail running, mountain biking and Sundance. The Olympic Park is right out the window and Canyons is five minutes away for pow mornings. Insane!

Cons

Team definitely works hard--not a slacker place. The company becomes part of your life with friends, intramurals, workouts, and riding. For some people it could be too intense and not enough space between work/home.

Advice to Management

Great place--stoked to work here...

9. Business Development

Former Employee - International Business Development Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Skullcandy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work I recommend

Cons

unstable marketplace and lack of coaching

Advice to Management

No advices

10. Awesome culture and inspiring senior leadership team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

-Culture: flexible scheduling, casual dress, fun people, and creative work environment -Senior Leadership: communication is clear and often from the top. Our senior leaders have a true passion for the products and come with a lot of solid experience. None of them sit in a corner office and instead are very visible and active with the rest of the team. Employees are publicly acknowledged for their successes. -Work-ethic: this is not a place for clock watchers. Employees work hard and often late to get the job done! -Opportunity: there is so much opportunity to directly affect change at Skullcandy and to create new processes and/or alter existing ones.

Cons

The team is small and so people normally are responsible for work that at other companies might spread across 2-4 people. This can be overwhelming BUT if you love the brand/products and are able to prioritize & strategize around your space, it's very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication coming!

11. Fun work environment and culture, below market pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time, fun work environment, new ideas can be accepted

Cons

Sometimes Patronizing senior management, low wages

Advice to Management

Change management could be improved to help create some continuity when an individual leaves.

RSS Feed </> Embed