Skullcandy

Hard Charging and Doing Cool Things

Current Employee - Operations in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has gone through a massive transition over the last year for the positive. Really cool spot now doing a whole lot more than just making headphones. Management team constantly lives and talks about switching the paradigm from being a "normal" company that does things for financial reasons into a "missionary" company that starts with people at the foundation of the place. Lives it and not just words. Management really cares about the team and where the company is going. Just a really cool vibe in the office. Tons of career opportunities with a really young team.

Cons

Definitely a place where excellence is expected and management and high achievers are very driven and expect a lot. But--that is really cool when you are a hard worker, want to learn and win.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Company in constant transition- losing the headphone market and has lost its mojo.

Current Employee - R & D in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - R & D in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great young team with tons of energy, start up driven environment, lots of opportunities to learn and contribute in impactful ways, excellent first job out of college.

Cons

The company seems to be constant transition, and it's way too apparent that it is solely bottom line driven. Get it, learn what you can, and get out.

Stop hiring couples for key management positions, it puts employees in compromising situations and creates an uncomfortable environment for the employees that have to report to them. Especially in the HR department!

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome culture and people. The people live the lifestyle of action sports, creative, music. It is a lot like being back in college--in a good way. Work hard for sure but always being pushed, friends around, and a cool product/marketing/etc. Park City is also a huge plus for snowboarding, trail running, mountain biking and Sundance. The Olympic Park is right out the window and Canyons is five minutes away for pow mornings. Insane!

Cons

Team definitely works hard--not a slacker place. The company becomes part of your life with friends, intramurals, workouts, and riding. For some people it could be too intense and not enough space between work/home.

Great place--stoked to work here...

Best Place to Work in Park City

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, the leadership team really cares about making Skullcandy a fun place to work. Lots of opportunities for career advancement and challenging assignments. Sweet benefits such as flex time and summer Friday's, subsidized season passes to mountain resorts, powder days, gym reimbursement, tuition assistance and great employee discount. The medical plan meets my needs and isn't super expensive. SKUL University is the new learning and development program and it's rad! Most importantly, I love the people I work with - it's not often that you get to work AND play with your friends. The company promotes living an active lifestyle and the CEO hosts team workouts every other week. The executives all sit in an open pit (no ivory towers here!) and openly communicate with everyone. Fun atmosphere for sure!

Cons

Because the company is growing, the work-life balance is sometimes hard. I find myself working a lot of hours but I also don't mind b/c I know what I'm doing is making a difference and that my co-workers rely on me. The company is really lean and mean so I think adding some resources would be helpful to creating more work-life balance.

Keep doing what you're doing, I"m stoked to be on this team and very excited for the future!!! Maybe keep the skull huddles on time too :)

Business Development

Former Employee - International Business Development Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work I recommend

Cons

unstable marketplace and lack of coaching

No advices

Awesome culture and inspiring senior leadership team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

-Culture: flexible scheduling, casual dress, fun people, and creative work environment
    -Senior Leadership: communication is clear and often from the top. Our senior leaders have a true passion for the products and come with a lot of solid experience. None of them sit in a corner office and instead are very visible and active with the rest of the team. Employees are publicly acknowledged for their successes.
    -Work-ethic: this is not a place for clock watchers. Employees work hard and often late to get the job done!
    -Opportunity: there is so much opportunity to directly affect change at Skullcandy and to create new processes and/or alter existing ones.

Cons

The team is small and so people normally are responsible for work that at other companies might spread across 2-4 people. This can be overwhelming BUT if you love the brand/products and are able to prioritize & strategize around your space, it's very rewarding.

Keep the communication coming!

Fun work environment and culture, below market pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time, fun work environment, new ideas can be accepted

Cons

Sometimes Patronizing senior management, low wages

Change management could be improved to help create some continuity when an individual leaves.

Great place for experience

I worked at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young leadership, willing to take chances, exposure to the business outside your department, flexible schedule, interesting if somewhat confusing culture, great network for pro-deals.

Cons

Below average pay, uninspired human resource department, no paid time off (flex time is a joke), Management mocks employees who do not fit "the skullcandy culture" which is an ever changing element.

The company is not setup to develop and maintain good talent. Alter practices or the best non-management employees will continue to leave for better paying jobs.

Fast-paced & fun work environment

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is fun and active; we can get roudy at times. Great career growth opportunities. Lead by the dynamo, Hoby Darling, who is infusing enthusiasm and commitment into the Skullcandy Team with a dedicated vision true to our roots.

Cons

At Skullcandy we work hard. People are often working late, and doing the work of more than one person. Hard work is noticed, and expected, which is great to accomplish a ton, but a fine line in being overbearing.

Compensate fairly those who are in line with company goals and prove dedication to success of the company. Those of us starting out our careers at Skullcandy need to know that our work is making a difference, and have that appreciation reflected in salary increases where due. Work to keep your best employees.

Startup culture, low level of talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Skullcandy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office is designed like a skatepark, complete freedom regarding computer use (streaming music, youtube, social media etc), discounted ski passes, opportunities if you are coming in as management

Cons

Having worked in conservative (ie business casual) organizations in the past, the level of talent at Skullcandy was disappointing. A lot of kids without previous work experience who are looking to be ski bums. Skullcandy couldn't seem to strike the right balance between laid back and getting work done. Also, extreme disparity in pay between functional groups and management vs sole contributors

Yes, the culture is cool, but there needs to be clear direction and a sense of urgency around projects and daily work. Most importantly, pay needs to be more in line with industry and disparity between employees in the same job needs to be resolved (performance-based, of course).

Skullcandy Photos

HQ!
Celebrating a successful new launch!

+ Add Photo