Skullcandy Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014
3.9

Hoby Darling

Business Development

Former Employee - International Business Development Manager  in  San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - International Business Development Manager in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work I recommend

Cons

unstable marketplace and lack of coaching

No advices

Awesome culture and inspiring senior leadership team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time

Pros

-Culture: flexible scheduling, casual dress, fun people, and creative work environment
    -Senior Leadership: communication is clear and often from the top. Our senior leaders have a true passion for the products and come with a lot of solid experience. None of them sit in a corner office and instead are very visible and active with the rest of the team. Employees are publicly acknowledged for their successes.
    -Work-ethic: this is not a place for clock watchers. Employees work hard and often late to get the job done!
    -Opportunity: there is so much opportunity to directly affect change at Skullcandy and to create new processes and/or alter existing ones.

Cons

The team is small and so people normally are responsible for work that at other companies might spread across 2-4 people. This can be overwhelming BUT if you love the brand/products and are able to prioritize & strategize around your space, it's very rewarding.

Keep the communication coming!

Fun work environment and culture, below market pay

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex time, fun work environment, new ideas can be accepted

Cons

Sometimes Patronizing senior management, low wages

Change management could be improved to help create some continuity when an individual leaves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for experience

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young leadership, willing to take chances, exposure to the business outside your department, flexible schedule, interesting if somewhat confusing culture, great network for pro-deals.

Cons

Below average pay, uninspired human resource department, no paid time off (flex time is a joke), Management mocks employees who do not fit "the skullcandy culture" which is an ever changing element.

The company is not setup to develop and maintain good talent. Alter practices or the best non-management employees will continue to leave for better paying jobs.

Fast-paced & fun work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is fun and active; we can get roudy at times. Great career growth opportunities. Lead by the dynamo, Hoby Darling, who is infusing enthusiasm and commitment into the Skullcandy Team with a dedicated vision true to our roots.

Cons

At Skullcandy we work hard. People are often working late, and doing the work of more than one person. Hard work is noticed, and expected, which is great to accomplish a ton, but a fine line in being overbearing.

Compensate fairly those who are in line with company goals and prove dedication to success of the company. Those of us starting out our careers at Skullcandy need to know that our work is making a difference, and have that appreciation reflected in salary increases where due. Work to keep your best employees.

Startup culture, low level of talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office is designed like a skatepark, complete freedom regarding computer use (streaming music, youtube, social media etc), discounted ski passes, opportunities if you are coming in as management

Cons

Having worked in conservative (ie business casual) organizations in the past, the level of talent at Skullcandy was disappointing. A lot of kids without previous work experience who are looking to be ski bums. Skullcandy couldn't seem to strike the right balance between laid back and getting work done. Also, extreme disparity in pay between functional groups and management vs sole contributors

Yes, the culture is cool, but there needs to be clear direction and a sense of urgency around projects and daily work. Most importantly, pay needs to be more in line with industry and disparity between employees in the same job needs to be resolved (performance-based, of course).

A transitional company on the mend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Skullcandy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They're making the right decisions, and getting rid of excess departments and offices. Excellent people with a passion to play hard and work harder.

Cons

took too long to start correcting the ship, and the company trajectory to maintain rock star senior management.

Keep driving change in the right areas, and keep listening to employees about what needs to be changed to bring back the Skullcandy of yore!

Great place to work with great people and a great culture

Current Employee - Summer Analyst  in  Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Park City, UT

I have been working at Skullcandy as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Skullcandy is a growing company with an incredible culture. The office is awesome and the CEO Hoby Darling is doing a great job at establishing Skullcandy as a market leader.

Cons

There are few living options near the office headquarters.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Worked for Skullcandy? Contribute to the Community!