Sky

Sky Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch

Jeremy Darroch

Pros
  • Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department(in 9 reviews)

• Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is sometimes skewed - due to timescales and tight deadlines(in 7 reviews)

• V few decisions go through with senior management sign off(in 12 reviews)

I've only been at Sky for 8 months and so far a great experience.

ProsPeople do listen if you have a great idea. It's a very collaborative environment to work in and the people are not only clever but good fun.

ConsMove to fast sometimes and put a plaster over things that need to be addressed

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. Take a step back and think about the best and right way to do things rather than the quickest. Your people are your best assett

Diverse pool of knowledge across technology.

Scrum Master (Current Employee) Isleworth, England (UK)

ProsMany areas of technology to learn from, giving a broad experience of the content and devices used everyday.

ConsMany hoops to jump through to get approval for work, no matter how small/ simple.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay attention to all teams' contributions, not just the ones making headlines.

Had a great run there - a successful 10 years +

Personal Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery dynamic, forward thinking company with great perks and benefits. Very good facilities and fantastically talented people. It's the people that make it a great place to work.

ConsCan be challenging at times due to its extremely fast paced environment and working through the politics can be tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, some great people, very poorly managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits, the atmosphere and the experience

ConsThe management. Over heavy, under skilled and completely clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise skills, empower all levels of staff, communicate better with all levels. LISTEN!

Working at Sky

Head of Department (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople and place, they have a great working atmosphere with on site catering and perks to match, everyone gets free SKY.
    Company encourages promoting from within and senior management do keep you informed of what the company is achieving in the market place.

Conssalary not top of the league, location is isolated so its hard to leave the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great team members who support the product and are passionate about the environment, dont screw it up.

Hell on earth

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Brentwood, England (UK)

ProsSky is a known brand.

ConsWhere do I start, I work at the Brentwood office which has ridiculously poor facilities, no canteen, no vending machines, 8 people sit in a space of 2 by 6 meters, it is like a prison on some floors. There is a large population of Indian contractors who stay in the UK for two years on temporary visas which is okay but most of them do not know how to interact outside of their own circles, this can be very difficult because it almost feels like you are working in Mumbai or Bangalore or something.

English is not used in the office 90% of the time so when technical issues are being discussed you miss out on it .

There are limited parking spaces, only about 60 of them and some of them are given to contractors instead of permanent staff. Some of the Senior Management/Directors can be quite intimidating if you dare complain about the crappy office facilities, in fact they praise the building and are adamant about improving working conditions, you'd think these guys where working at Guantanamo Bay or something prior to joining Sky.

Due to the large percentage contractors which make up over two thirds of the workforce there is no culture at all at the Brentwood offices, the lack of team bonding or camaraderie is astonishing. Most people don't even say good morning, during my years at Sky the company hasn't even offered to take us out for lunch as other companies of this nature usually do.

There is no incentive to stay at Sky and it will make you lose the will to live as many other people have said here. The PDP(Personal Development Plan) is only scored out of 5 and is a joke, rather than getting quarterly reviews there are only two reviews a year and managers always cancel the monthly 1 to 1's.

There are unrealistic expectations and people work on average 50 hours a week (software engineers not the purchasing/supply etc).

There is no HR onsite to have discussions with about grievances.

The offices stink of spices/food/ toilets.

The pace is very fast but for no good reason at all, it's just to make the managers look good, the unrealistic deadlines are equivalent to a mental and psychological battering.

All the engineers and senior management always say "We've got the best engineers in the country" and they believe it, what an ignorant bunch.

Working at Sky is something I would not wish for anyone, even my worst enemy. It is a truly humiliating experience which will leave you without confidence to work elsewhere in IT afterwards.
    Hell on earth!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no point in offering advice because the management are too incompetent to take on advice.

Sky Head Of Technology Recruitment responded to this review

Jun 5, 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback, it is invaluable and important for us an organisation to get & act on feedback. Sorry to hear your experiences, if you would like to meet ... More

Customer services lead

ProsBig brand. Decent ish benefits.

ConsLots of bureaucracy, average leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the now sometimes.

Amazing Brand. Poor finance development & flooded analyst community

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsFun colleagues (department dependant!)

Summer sky festival brings in big names usually for staff + family entertainment.

ConsMass of Financial Analyst population results in limited to no career development opportunities.

Very dynamic but ruthless colleagues.

Very obvious favouritism within workforce - a definite sky person exists.

Below average remuneration.

Poor HR dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on true internal promotions where justified vs. simply favouring some over others. Lots of key talent lost as a result.

Senior QA

Senior QA (Current Employee)

Pros1. Friendly Environment
    2. Amazing benefits - Sky HD, Broadband, Phone

ConsNo collaboration & communication in the team
    No Training
    No Flexible working hours

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear about the objectives.

Sky is a dynamic and exciting place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you're into media or technology, you will find the work varied, interesting and challenging. Lots of smart people, a good workplace culture, emphasis put on work-life balance and decent employee benefits packages, including free Sky tv.

ConsSalaries are generally mid-range at best, and annual pay reviews are barely keeping up with inflation. Some departments are top-heavy as senior people tend to stay, meaning opportunities for promotion can be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in developing staff, and recognising and rewarding talent on individual merit.

Worked for Sky? Contribute to the Community!