Sky

Sky Reviews in Livingston, Scotland

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch

Jeremy Darroch

Pros
  • Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department(in 9 reviews)

• Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is sometimes skewed - due to timescales and tight deadlines(in 7 reviews)

• V few decisions go through with senior management sign off(in 12 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working in Technology at Sky

Systems Developer (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat opportunities and an innovative company.

ConsA lot of different areas of the business work in isolation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on bringing different areas of the business together.

If your face fits

Anonymous (Former Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsFun people, excellent benefits. Some hard-working, intelligent people who cared.

ConsIf your face fits, you will go far in this company. If you have a good manager then you are stored, but there are a lot of managers that have been there for years, part of the wood work and they don't know how to manage.

As a company, they fire fight, no strategic plan.

People were managed out there job, who should have been as they were good at there jobs.

Manager with contradictory, sycophantic and child-like attitude, aided in 7 out of team of 10 to leave in space of 1 yr!

Applications Support Engineer (Former Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsPeers were nice to work with...in the short time they were there!
    Free Sky Subscription
    Salary pretty good

ConsCompany Politics
    Inexperienced Management
    Contradictory messaging from management
    Nepotism when employing / promoting people

Advice to Senior ManagementReally consider who you employ at middle manager levels...do they have the experience/aptitude to manage people? Do they "Believe in better" or are they self serving?!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fast paced and enjoyable!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsThings can get done a lot quicker than any other company I've worked for, if you suggest a change, how to implement it and the benefit from it you will get the green light to do it

ConsNot seen any as yet, but there may be times when moving so quickly could be an issue and taking stock of things more beneficial!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep engaging with your staff!

A well organised, professional and fun job!

Procurement Operations Team Abalyst (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent benefits (free Sky, Healthcare, excellent pension, Christmas Present), Bonus, Excellent salary, always changing, fun!

ConsI have had no negative experience in my time with the company.

OK

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsSurroundings and colleagues were good

Consjobs for the boys/girls all the time

Advice to Senior Managementget closer to the managers and find out real feelings

Working with Sky

Team Leader (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsI have been with Sky for just over three years now. (This is my second stint here). Since joining I have seen excellent development and career opportunities that have all come to fruition. It is entrepreneurial, fast moving and a fun place to work. It is good to work for a large corporate where the individual can make a real impact and be recognised for doing so.

ConsThe pace of change and fluidity may not be for everyone, but I love it!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

High Paced

Lead Developer (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsHigh paced enviroment with lots of change and generally fun enviroment.
    Lots of interesting technologies.
    Freindly enviroment and a culture that is moving towards better values.

ConsWork life balance can sometimes be off.
    Performance review is very weak and not very effective, don’t believe it motivates or is particularly fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at PDP process, it is similar to Microsofts, which has recieved a lot of critisim.
    Crack down on poor team work/cross department disagreements.

Too political and too many rash decisions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

Pros* Great Benefits inc. free Sky TV
    * Talented people
    * Great product to work with

Cons* Rash decisions made at senior level - Seem to have no overall strategy they are working towards
    * Takes too long to get things done due to politics and layers of bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people you have there and the tools they need to let them do the job, then be brave enough to see it through rather than constantly changing your mind

Great Benefits! Shame about everything else.

Home Service and Supply (Current Employee) Livingston, Scotland (UK)

ProsFree Sky TV, BB and Talk
    Great Pension
    Private Health Care
    Pay rise every year
    Continuous Improvement - to a certain extent.

ConsRate of change is so fast that they are unable to fix existing problems before adding new problems.
    Restructure happens every three years like clockwork - usually whole departments disappear.
    Management have been given the job because they are good at it, rather than being good at managing people.
    Tools for your role are rigid and are unable to keep up with Sky's pace of change.
    You are not expected to question anything JFDI.
    Customers are not put at the centre of everything they do if cost is involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting a plaster on issues and get to the route cause.

Worked for Sky? Contribute to the Community!