Sky

Sky Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch

Jeremy Darroch

Pros:
  • "Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Exciting passionate about customers and people, Great benefits and place to work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / Life balance is sometimes skewed - due to timescales and tight deadlines"
    in 6 reviews
  • "V few decisions go through with senior management sign off"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing

Sales and Marketing Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sky part-time for more than a year

ProsGood and inspiring colleagues to work with, nice pay for the hard work.
Everyone helps to improve and achieve our goals.

ConsPoor time to balance work and life

Innovative, fast paced and complex.

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sky full-time

ProsGood benefits, good people, good career progression if you drive it

ConsToo hierarchical and too political

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and flexible

Sky is a dynamic and exciting place to work.

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're into media or technology, you will find the work varied, interesting and challenging. Lots of smart people, a good workplace culture, emphasis put on work-life balance and decent employee benefits packages, including free Sky tv.

ConsSalaries are generally mid-range at best, and annual pay reviews are barely keeping up with inflation. Some departments are top-heavy as senior people tend to stay, meaning opportunities for promotion can be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in developing staff, and recognising and rewarding talent on individual merit.

Customer services lead

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than a year

ProsBig brand. Decent ish benefits.

ConsLots of bureaucracy, average leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the now sometimes.

Sky is an awesome place to work !!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunity, very generous, very caring, brilliant team and managers!!!!

ConsI don't have any to add here

A place to get your voice heard

Media Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWe all get along because we all want to make something great.

ConsIt's not in central London.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider even more shadowing for all departments.

Great Company to Work For!

Process Improvement Analyst (Current Employee)
Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Sky part-time for more than 10 years

ProsSky moves at a really quick pace, this can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you work but I love it - it keeps things fresh, exciting and you feel a great sense of accomplshment at the end of the working day.

Sky is a great company for development opportunties and consideration is taken to your learning type and the time available to you.

Excellent Benefits Package!

ConsAs I've already mentioned it is ia very fast paced environment with continuous improvement at the heart of what it does - this means flexibility and being receptive to change are a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on collaborative working would be beneficial, Sky is vast and you can often find duplication of work across different business areas.

Also, one of the big improvements still to be addressed is the lack of process owners within the business. Sky spend a huge amount of time and resource on 'projects', whether it's a new initiative or an improvement to a an existing process. However, delivered we quickly move onto the next thing. The handover piece is equally as important to ensure the change is the right change, that it performs as expected and is sustainable, this involves having designated process owners, this can't just be one person, it needs to be an area so if someone moves on it is still maintained.

Fun, dynamic - tough leadership

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDynamic and innovative business
Can move around various roles

ConsLarge company, so a lot of profile building to get ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate and promote on hard work

Forward thinking, energetic & striving to dominate the market

Consultant (Current Employee)
Brentford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time for less than a year

ProsI've worked for about 5 other FTSE 100 companies in the UK, benefits are excellent, facilities are also good (in the Osterley campus). My salary is in the upper quartile for my industry/sector/job category (I've done salary analysis in previous jobs). A leadership team that seem to really care about their people and invest back into your well-being (Paid team away days, lots of little perks here and there). Culture in the team is fantastic with dynamic, hard-working and passion to succeed. OK- The commute to Osterley is tricky but I went into this with eyes wide open and did alot of research into travel times, options, carparking restrictions etc before accepting the job and as long as you know what you are getting yourself into with travelling to Osterley it's absolutely fine (E.G Driving for an hour in heavy traffic to Osterley is much better than standing on a packed train for an hour and cheaper!).

ConsThere are the odd senior players in the business protecting their own and taking credit for new innovative ideas (But this is normal in a large organisation). There is some politics within teams so again as long as you approach your role with eyes open, know your strategy with how you want to achieve something and use the influencers around you to forge the path - navigating through the politics is alot easier than some larger organisation's I've worked with. Flexible working policies aren't quite as good as what is claimed on the Work for sky website, seems there is an expectation you come into work 28 out of every 30 days which in this day and age with Lync phones/video/screenshare as well as fast internet - is behind the times compared to other organisations (EG In my role I could do 80% of it remotely so would be nice to have maybe a 1 day a fortnight working at home).

Advice to Senior ManagementMight help if people have clear performance/pay related objectives around completing projects to a high quality. (IE I've seen many cases where people want to "lead" projects but the projects are either highly unsuccessful OR ineffective in achieving their objective). We all need to develop and not all projects will be successful BUT I've seen alot of things delivered poorly and there seems to be no accountability which results in many projects being started but alot of them not contributing to driving the business forward.

Overall good place

I have been working at Sky

ProsForward thinking, with good opportunities for growth and proving your abilities. Working on the technology side of the company you get to work with professionals who know how to get the job done.

ConsSince the offices are based in Osterley, the commute can be a bit daunting.

Worked for Sky? Contribute to the Community!

Sky Videos

Sky – Why Work for Us?

We Believe in Better. It’s not just a slogan. Put simply, Believe in Better is our DNA. It’s how we approach everything; from creating game-changing entertainment and making our products effortless to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sky reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sky CEO Jeremy Darroch. All 154 reviews posted anonymously by Sky employees.