Sky

Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch
Jeremy Darroch

Pros
  • Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • shift work - work-life balance non existent but they are working on it (in 10 reviews)

• Mixed unclear messages from senior management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

very good company

I have been working at Sky

Pros

best benefit and friendly environment
    people here are all very nice
    good place to improve yourself

Cons

Failure of another team is seen as a success of the other

Innovative, fast paced and complex.

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant

I have been working at Sky full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good people, good career progression if you drive it

Cons

Too hierarchical and too political

Be more transparent and flexible

Amazing

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Executive
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Executive

I have been working at Sky part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good and inspiring colleagues to work with, nice pay for the hard work.
    Everyone helps to improve and achieve our goals.

Cons

Poor time to balance work and life

An excellent company to work for with tremendous support and assistance in development.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A very professional company which pays well and offers great benefits for all staff.

Cons

Like all big companies when the management makes a decision that effects staff and customers there is little opportunity to change their minds when it is a bad decision. The senior management don't really know what life is like in front of customers or at the coal face.

Listen to staff in ALL areas of the business and consult them prior to making decisions that directly effect the way their job is done on a day to day basis. Start rewarding customer loyalty - too much emphasis is placed on offering deals to NEW customers...... which is not smart when your losing good paying and loyal customers at the other end.

Great experience

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

relaxed and fun atmosphere
    free sky tv

Cons

shift work - work-life balance non existent but they are working on it

reduce differences betwen Ireland and UK in training and opportunities

Not fabulous, but improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits Package, Can earn more through incentives and Overtime. Internal Awards Programme, Good training. Close for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day unlike a lot of call centres. Twice yearly internal survey on employee satisfaction has resulted in some improvements.

Cons

An awful lot of petty rules. shifts aren't great but have been told this will improve soon. Quite a strict sickness policy so there is always some bug or another going around the office. Hardly any room for progression so if you want to build a career this may not be a good place to do it. Salaries are not that competitive

Salary bench-marking would be good. Create more opportunities for progression, improve sickness policy i.e: Is someone contagious?

No career movement

Former Employee - EDW Senior Developer
    Former Employee - EDW Senior Developer

I worked at Sky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free Sky TV. Good facilities in the London campus.

Cons

No career progression. Too much middle management taking bad decisions and not taking into account of the views of the employees. There was no evidence of leadership across the platforms and this led to a mass walkout from senior and experienced team members.

There was always generally just talk about how you could do well in the company, filling out people surveys, reviews that did not lead to much. Even if you fulfilled your goals and got good recognition from your colleagues, this was generally ignored by management making you demotivated and not challenged.

Too much debate within projects and office politics. More emphasis on what the company wanted to be (i.e, a multi billion pound organization with decades of experience). It was evident that the company wanted to keep the existing subscriber base by trying to fend off competition from the premier league rights. This led to projects being shelved and promotions and pay rises being fended off year after year.

Concentrate on keeping your skilled employees. At the rate of staff leaving, the company will be left with young and no experienced staff. Something your do not want when fending off the likes of BT and future competition.

Fast paced and energetic place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Different challenges each day, good collaborative approach for colleagues.

Cons

Sometimes things change too quickly and not everyone knows about priory changes, company comms could be better.

Trust in staff a bit more

Assaulted on the job and no one did anything

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sky as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with I really liked working with and I enjoyed my role until the assault.

Cons

When a fellow contractor assaulted me, I think the people who should have acted might have been too young and inexperienced to know how to deal with this appropriately, or even worried their own performance might have been scrutinised as I had already reported there were serious issues before the assault happened. The "solution" I got was termination of my contract because I'd "breached" it for leaving the premises in work time – never mind that I'd left those very premises to escape someone assaulting me, eh?

Improve the diversity of your workforce right across your corporation, because the section I was in, I was one of the oldest people there... and I was only 37 at the time.

Two-bit outfit masquerading as a multi-billion pound company

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tv - when It works and that's about all, the product itself is great.
    Working with some very nice people amidst all the office crawlers/noseyparkers/tittletattlers
    High staff turnover says it all.

Cons

Awful top-downwards management on a local level . Expect to have an acting CEL on a power-trip for the same salary as yourself in charge of the team at some stage. some of the full CELs are very good in fairness.

Training courses that never materialise. on joining you're promised to start the 'Aspire' programme. this never happens.

Office politics rules: Only crawlers and creeps prosper, even then, with no guarantee of a pay rise. Hearsay = 'the truth' to the upper site management.

No career development. You supposedly have a weekly 1-2-1 with your CEL which determines your annual pay grade. This will get cancelled/shunted/ignored and by the year end the CEL will have been replaced so you have slaved away for nothing as they will find any excuse not to fulfil their promises.

Rigged bonus scheme - you're punished for negative c-sat surveys, resulting from you doing your job according to their system guidelines.

'The people survey' scam, This is a supposedly anonymous survey about how things could be improved within the company. Secretly it's a monitoring tool to suss out disillusioned staff. This enables site management to lean on them until they quit using various dirty tricks methods .

Sham career open days. No time given to attend and even then you never hear back when expressing an interest. these only exist to hide the fact it's a dead-end job

Bullying. Report this and expect to be marginalised whilst the culprit gets away with it.

Acting-CELS, these are simply yes-men with an inferiority complex, thinking they can push you around as they have volunteered for extra duties in a vain attempt to increase their pay grade.

If Management/HR decide your face doesn't fit they will resort to various dirty tricks to oust you, - Expect to be kept out of meetings weekly updates etc and to be locked out of various systems.

Time you collected your P45's and learn some humanity.

Sky Response

Nov 12, 2014Engagement Consultant

Hello - thank you for taking the time to leave a review; I wanted to address a couple of points you've mentioned; the People Survey is fully anonymous - we value all of our employees' responses and ... More