Sky Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.3

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch
Jeremy Darroch

Pros
  • Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge due to shift work at lower levels (in 9 reviews)

• Mixed unclear messages from senior management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

typical call centre

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good bonuses and staff benefits

Cons

everything else from management to staff

stop having power trips

The media is right about Sky

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having BSkyB on your CV proves to other employers that you can survive in the worst working environment, the worst management and the most untrustworthy leadership, the most ridiculous workload and the most inadequate resources to get your work done.

Cons

First of all I want to say that everything I am writing here is out of experience I had at Sky and I am certain that other people had worse experiences than me at Sky. Off course not all teams at Sky are bad but more than enough of them are.

CONS:

You might lose your mental health at Sky. You will work for a company where things like --We want you to reach breaking point, and then we can see how much you can handle, after this we will know how much work we can give you. are said.

You might suffer from anxiety due to the grossly aggressive and unchecked behaviour of the management at Sky.

You will not receive much gratitude from management no matter how much work you get done.

You will work in an environment where more than two thirds of the staff are contractors who don't give a damn whether Sky does what's right or not because they are in it to get their contract rates and don't care how bad things are at Sky. These contractors do not participate in the internal "people survey" yet they make up over 70% of the staff therefore C-Level people at Sky have no idea about the horrid work environment and culture at Sky.

You will have an HR department that does not give written warning or fire bullying management. The HR department will protect the management by any means necessary, I am sure the legal team will too.

Trust what you see and read about Sky in the media, they seem to hand pick the most gruesome, back handed, sly, aggressive, two timing leadership.

If you're working in technology you will not work with any ex-employees from Google, Microsoft, IBM, Apple etc. Sky cannot retain people from that talent pool because of the way they treat staff, they sure can hire talented people but they can never keep them for long or they burn them out till they become useless.

The people who are happy at Sky are people who came from companies no one has ever heard about who think "Sky is the limit", or pretty girls in skirts who thrive and get rewarded because of their good looks. There are some good colleagues at Sky but they change because they are put into an environment where dog eats dog and fear of being on the wrong side of management is evident in the staffs behaviour.

If you work in technology prepare to live your worst employment nightmares and prepare to admit yourself into hospital afterwards, more than enough people take a few months break after they leave Sky just to get themselves in one piece again due to how they have been treated by this employer.

The long-timers at Sky often survive at Sky because they are thick skinned, ignorant people who are the one's doing all the bullying, pushing, shoving, and making everyone else's life miserable or they are near or over 50 years old therefore their employment prospects in technology are slim, even worse they cannot find a job elsewhere so they stay at Sky because they are too incompetent to escape from this malicious employer.

To management I say you have gone beyond needing training, you need psychological COUNSELLING because you are now a habitually crooked, lying, aggressive, selfish, incompetent and untrustworthy lot and worst of all you don't even recognise it. Note that not all managers are bad at Sky, I just comment on the one's I have known, HR is definitely bad though.

To the HR department I say, you had better take complaints about bullying and aggressive and negligent behaviour at Sky seriously and take action because more than 10% of the reviews here mention bullying and aggression. Way more than 1 in 10 people who wrote a review here are unhappy and out of your "permanent staff" even way more are unhappy, intimidated and maltreated.

To the world I say just read some of the responses that Sky wrote to some of the reviews here and you will see that HR won't do a thing, once you get in to Sky it's like falling into a trap full of snares. Sky wrote comments here that they do not tolerate bad behaviour at Sky but whether they act upon this is another story. Start doing your job for crying out loud.

To C-level executives I say the "people survey" is a scam, and you already know it.

To the Legal department at Sky I say, prepare for some lawsuits against you when your HR and management have hidden and overlooked continuous unacceptable gross misconduct by management at Sky in how they treat employees. Putting employees well being at risk. I believe that employment law is being breached to some extent, if not Health and Safety Law. At the end of the day you are the employer so the legal action will be taken against you and it is your reputation that will suffer.

To the C-Level executives at Sky I also say, I know you don't even care about all of this, as long as you get your few million pounds bonus per year right? Surely this is evidenced by how far removed you are from the plight of your employees.

Stop protecting your management, Team Leads and Directors, there are enough negative reviews here that show the true state of your affairs. Your employees are your major resource so do not treat them in contempt.

I know from working at Sky that there are people employed by Sky to blog and post things on forums about Sky, rather than having to do damage control why don't you just get rid of all the hard cases and people who perpetuate the rancid, heinous behaviour at Sky, in fact don't hire them in the first place. There is no place for that kind of behaviour in any modern legally obliged European professional environment.

To Glassdoor I say this is probably one of the most heartfelt and genuine reviews you have ever received.

To friends who left Sky in one piece I say, we made it!!

Thank you very much for reading this and if you were thinking of applying to Sky then good luck, you will need it.

Bullying is endemic here at best ignored at worst encouraged a vile place of work

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free sky and that's it

Cons

Clueless management with zero experience in television broadcasting impose their small minded corporate pdp protocol wholesale, a pointless excercise except it creates work for them. Bullying culture is encouraged and if you think HR will help then think again, they are the worst. As an entity it is arrogant, soulless, and whatever job you do, be assured all the joy will be sucked out of you..

Get rid of that useless layer of middle management who have nothing better to do and can barely justify their bloated salaries, do your duty as a company and employ zero tolerance for bullying instead of encouraging it, this company breaks so many laws it's shocking but they get away with it, all in all a vile place to work.

Fast paced and energetic place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Different challenges each day, good collaborative approach for colleagues.

Cons

Sometimes things change too quickly and not everyone knows about priory changes, company comms could be better.

Trust in staff a bit more

Office politics rule

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brentford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brentford, England (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free comprehensive Sky TV and Broadband package.
    Strong brand perception.

Cons

Loads of office politics and no internal collaboration between teams. New starter boarding process very poor and not thought through. Lack of transparency between teams. Mixed unclear messages from senior management. No investment in people development, so you feel like your just a number.

Invest in your people and internal process.

Sky newcastle broadband tech support.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with a good team.
    Free sky.

Cons

Awful job.
    Long shifts.
    Unsocial hours.
    Some of the staff very cliquey.

Shifts need to be improved.

Sky Response

Oct 8, 2014Engagement Consultant

Hi there - sorry that you're not enjoying your time at Sky - I'd advise you speak with your HR representative to clear the air and hopefully get back to a great work atmosphere. Thanks for your ... More

Amazing Products, Sprawling Organisation

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sky as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Sky produce some great products in a really exciting marketplace. I worked with some incredibly smart people with amazing ideas accomplishing amazing things.

Cons

Massive organisation with sprawling, often competing, departments doing similar jobs. Can be hard to get stuff done. Campus style set up in West London may not be to everybody's taste.

Consolidate teams

Slightly dated in their thinking, not the most innovative...horrendous IT and HR...

Current Employee - Senior Insight Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Insight Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic to have on your CV, people are generally motivated and friendly. Training opportunities if you are lucky, but plenty of opportunities to move around such a huge company to find a position you want.

Cons

Zero work/life balance, very corporate culture (work early till late with no time off in lieu) and a ridiculous amount of processes. I never got a computer sorted until 3 weeks in because the IT department messed up so I bought in my own which is actually against company policy (but there was no alternative!), then the rubbish cheap laptops everyone have to use break down quite regularly - quite painful experience when your workload is so big. Having a preferred supplier list means using new innovative companies or products is close to zero. Senior management are ridiculous, it would be nice if they didn't swan around in their chauffeur-driven Bentleys and have a ridiculously expensive building built mainly for them whilst the rest of us work in cramped, crap offices with even worse computer hardware. Double standards.

Look after your employees. Just because perm staff get free Sky and reduced broadband is not a good reward for zero work/life balance and enough with all the politics!!

"Believe in Bitter"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Isleworth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Isleworth, England (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Subsidised Canteen, free TV/broadband package, great colleagues

Cons

I have worked for the company for more than 5 years and saw more than 6 re-orgs, reporting to a different manager every time that happens. The Middle management doesn't know what the top management wants and your immediate supervisor is in oblivion, now the standard phrase is "you carry on what you're doing, leave the mess with us". There is no career path and your immediate manager has no interest in what you do, as long as long as, you don't screw up. And the day that happens get your CV out, as there will be no one to protect you and if you have done anything good don't expect a pat on the back or a bonus, that praise/amount will be absorbed in your supervisors achievement/salary. Not to mention that I was bullied, threatened to pick up a different role, arm twisted, (HR - will not help you unless you decide to bring in your solicitor). It's not worth it. Good to work for 1 or 2 years and then leave if you want to progress in your career. There is a big lobby from another geographical area ready to pull all the IT work leaving the stake holders on this side very unhappy, in that process they would go to any lengths to achieve their goal, protect their local area staff even if they do blunders, but ready to point out the mistakes if it happens on the this side. The re-org is a joke, if you survive that, then you can relax for 4 months not thinking of being sacked (even if you are not a dead wood), this is not a process to get rid of the dead wood but the wood itself. Bonus is not based on personal performance but personal likes, all worked out well before PDP process has even started. Performance ratings are on manager's discretion. Slogan should be changed to "Believe in Bitter". To survive keep your head low and don't question the management, if you do make sure that you have a job offer ready in-case if you have to negotiate your stay. No trainings either.

Middle Managers/Supervisors need to be trained in people's management and Sky should invest in people. Great staff make great company and great products. Hold your ears to the ground if you want to hear the voices which will make the difference.

Sky Response

Oct 13, 2014Head Of Technology Recruitment

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and for sharing your views.
    At Sky, we strive to provide a structured approach to employee feedback and performance through our PDP programme. The scheme
    ... More

Surreal experience

Former Employee - Sales Advisor (Retention) in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor (Retention) in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Sky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good - free Sky TV, discounted phone and broadband and free health insurance.
    The offices are modern and have some nice touches (pool table, table tennis, xbox)
    The people are brilliant. I've made some great friends.
    Management are so incompetent that it's possible to get away with a lot if you were so inclined.
    Short of punching your manager in the face, it's pretty hard to get fired once you've been made permanent

Cons

Appalling management from department managers and above. Truly abysmal stuff. Having left some months ago, some of the decisions that were made boggle the mind to this day.
    Conveyer belt of staff. The idea seems to be to get them in, burn them out and then get rid of them.
    Timed toilet breaks
    Promotions given to people who were "in" with management over much stronger candidates.
    If your team has too many cancellations in one day (despite being on target for the week, month, quarter, year, century,
    whatever, it doesn't matter), you'll be pulled into a room and grilled by either your TL, or your TL and their manager. While you personally may even be on target for the day, you'll still have to sit through this ritual.
    The biggest con of all is how well Sky sell the job to you in the interview process. If they were just up front about what the job is actually like, they'd save themselves and a lot of soon to be frustrated employees all the hassle.

None.