Sky Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.5

Sky CEO and Director Jeremy Darroch
Jeremy Darroch

Pros
  • Decent corporate environment, free Sky, good work/life balance, can progress depending on department (in 9 reviews)

• Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is sometimes skewed - due to timescales and tight deadlines (in 7 reviews)

• V few decisions go through with senior management sign off (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to be

Former Employee - Provisioning Administrator  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Provisioning Administrator in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office environment, great support from colleagues and plenty of rewards. Working for Sky you do believe in better

Cons

One database system is a most

Great Employer

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable working ethics, relaxed atmosphere, excellent benefits,

Cons

Have not found any yet

More focus on training and personal development would be an advantage

Values must come from the top

I worked at Sky

Pros

Huge drive and appetite to win. Desire to be the very best. Very customer focused. Strong brand in the UK which is becoming more central to people's lives.

Cons

Asks the employees to embody values that are not demonstrated by the executives at the top, and then wonders why it is not working. Has an executive culture of mistrust and scapegoating. Undervalues the role of technology and the people who work in the technology team. Treats technology as an overhead that is managed through aggressive cost control by people in finance who have no understanding, rather than a resource that can differentiate us from our competitors.

Fire the executives who display the worst behaviours and bring in people who can actually collaborate and build trust within their teams.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company atmosphere, Great benefits, including a good work-life balance. The canteens are excellent, especially the noodle bar. And last year they put in a free ice skating rink for staff members to skate on.

Cons

The only real negative I can think of is the location. Brentford is very far outside of London so unless you live in west London you're going to have a pretty big commute.

Not brilliant

Current Employee - Walker
    Current Employee - Walker

I have been working at Sky full-time for less than a year

Pros

When sky want to be fair and honest they are one of the best company's I have ever worked for. Free sky is great

Cons

Poor communication.... More like dictation. Poor treatment of staff. Double standards between management different rules for different teams.

Sky state believe in better but staff in sale don't feel that way and lots of the top sales staff are leaving, as your taking money off of us for giving offers to customer poor training. It's a dictatorship you should start to listen to the people at the bottom to help the business get better I have personal never meet anyone in a higher then my manger not even his manager poor experience

On the whole a great company to work for but...

Former Employee - Provisioning Administrator  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Provisioning Administrator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits working for a large media organisation, many varied departments to apply for positions across the UK, Ireland and India.

Cons

Voice and Broadband Operations department (SVBO) terribly racist on who is employed, dispite management denying such. Low morale and zero progression opportunities within the department. Lots of backstabbing and if negative feedback given back to the manager, this is held against you. The company on the whole limits progression or transfer to a different department. Be prepared to fail at interview as positions are usually given to those in contractor positions already in the department, so opportunities to move departments are extremely limited.

SVBO Management all need to be replaced with properly trained managers who know what they are doing with their people. SVBO lets working at Sky down majorly as its such a demoralising department with no variety in workstream and very difficult to move departments.

Sky Response

Jun 6, 2014Head Of Technology Recruitment

Thanks for your feedback; we're sorry to hear some of the points you have shared . Please be assured, at Sky we do all we can to ensure a fair and consistent recruitment process, and we consider ... More

Working in Technology at Sky

Current Employee - Systems Developer  in  Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Developer in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities and an innovative company.

Cons

A lot of different areas of the business work in isolation.

Focus on bringing different areas of the business together.

Good place to work with like minded individuals

Current Employee - Assistant Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Assistant Financial Analyst

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young staff, good training opportunities, rotations scheme means company wide experience, work life balance and perks are good.

Cons

The promotion process is a little confused. Although the company likes to think of it as young and dynamic, it can be a little slow and bureaucratic at times.

I've only been at Sky for 8 months and so far a great experience.

I have been working at Sky full-time for less than a year

Pros

People do listen if you have a great idea. It's a very collaborative environment to work in and the people are not only clever but good fun.

Cons

Move to fast sometimes and put a plaster over things that need to be addressed

Slow down. Take a step back and think about the best and right way to do things rather than the quickest. Your people are your best assett

mustn't grumble

Current Employee - Dth Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Dth Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

generally left alone to get on with days work, have support from supervisor and team. private use of company vehicle is nice to have, salary is bumped up by bonus and tv subscription is the best price ... free. health care and various other benefits. You meet a lot of people on your travels and see some "interesting" things!

Cons

work can be full on at times, lots of silly politics and double standards! work most weekends due to rota system is a pain

Worked for Sky? Contribute to the Community!