SkyWest

SkyWest Reviews

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.1

SkyWest Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, SkyWest Airlines and ExpressJet Airlines Jerry C. Atkin
Jerry C. Atkin

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you can be VERY flexible with your time of travel (in 39 reviews)

• If you like to travel, the travel benefits will be wonderful for you (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, over-worked, unappreciated (ramp and customer service agents at least) (in 8 reviews)

• Flight benefits are nice, but it seems to be getting harder to get places (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I don't know of a better place to work than SkyWest Airlines.

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

The culture at SkyWest Airlines is fantastic. I love coming to work with my team and interacting with the people I work with. Even on days that last a lot longer than scheduled, I have a great time.

I believe that the leaders here want to take care of us as employees and are always looking for ways to making the company stronger.

Being as SkyWest, I've also had a lot of opportunities to grow, take on new responsibilities and learn new things. Having that progress and opportunity is one reason that I am always happy to go to work in the morning. It's also nice that they tend to promote from within because it makes me feel like my efforts to grow are recognized.

Cons

There is always a lot of change. It can be hard to keep up and be willing to try new things.

Continue to look for ways to invest in the employees. This could be improved benefits, more leadership opportunities or recognition. When this isn't possible, be willing to communicate and talk about what's going on.

I've recently been hired to work at HDQ.

Current Employee - People Department in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - People Department in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a great focus on the people here. I'd only been here a week before the VP of my department knew me by name, and I hadn't worked closely with her, yet. I've worked on some pretty cool projects because SkyWest cared about my input, even when I was new.

Cons

I have really great travel benefits, but I don't have much time away from work to be able to use them. Hopefully that will change once I've been here long enough to get vacation time.

Don't forget what it was like when you weren't in charge.

I Love what I do and the people I work with

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The airline industry is an exciting, dynamic and ever evolving industry. There never is a dull moment working her. SkyWest employees some of the best and the brightest and is constantly evolving. The people truly do make SkyWest great, not to mention the amazing travel benefits. SkyWest is very family friendly and helps promote a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

The regional airline industry is extremely competitive, as a result employee salaries tend to remain very modest compared to similar jobs in other industries.

Recognize the value added by those employees and workgroups with specialized skills and abilities and reward them accordingly.

A company that treats employees like family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

Work-life balance, leadership, management has been in the industry for several years

Cons

Few paid holidays off during the year, headquartered in a smaller city

On-site lunch by a catering service, gym membership allowance

Great Company/ Bad Circumstances

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The flight benefits!!!
    - Good Colleagues
    - Fun atmosphere

Cons

- Mediocre Pay
    - Long Hours
    - Harsh weather conditions

Keep up the good work!

Great travel job

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SkyWest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. I worked there for 15 years and flew around the world. Job flexibilty is ideal. I met some wonderful people that I am wii be friends with the rest of my life. You can work many different positions and experience the company. I have worked as a ticket agent, gate agent, ramp, supervisor, manager, and flight attendant.

Cons

Pays very low and work is continuing being outsourced. I was at a station that close because we lost our contract to a lower bidder that had inferior service and track record. The company's main concern is the bottom-line.

Ask employee feedback and soultions for money saving ideas. Don't just implement less hours, lower pay, and a slash of benefits without giving them a chance to come up with a soultion. Give the the big picture and what SkyWest needs to have to be competitive without destroying all the benefits.

think about it

Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL

I worked at SkyWest

Pros

flight benefifs, ten day hour shift,

Cons

I started in the company as an aircraft mechanic and I was very happy for the benefits they offered me but not for long. Its a very fast pace environment and on top of that the company it is not well organized causing people to make mistakes in paperwork all the time.
    The company instead of fixing the disorganization the only thing they do it is to issue warnings and write ups for that stressing even more the mechanic. Some supervisors and specially at night can be really inconsiderate.
    They like to send people to work on planes outside by themselves at a very cold temperature of sometimes minus 20F having space inside the hangar or having enough people seating around who could help.
    Also, they like to threatened with firing or warnings employees for anything they feel angry about. Co-workers are nice but you see they are all scared and stressed out by the difficult environment.

I've seen managers rushing the mechanics directly on sensitive jobs that require time and any mistake could cause serious consequences. Job security you won't find it here. I believe some companies do not need a labor union but this one definitely does.

stop harassing, respect safety

You will work for this company

I worked at SkyWest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are ok. For the young person to work and then fly to other cities.

Cons

Strees level is high, you will work 8 hours. Moving customers baggage is a repetetive job.

Training should be move back to 3 days in-house and minimum 10 days on the job. Working around aircraft is a demanding job. On the job training should be held to a higher standard.

Flight Attendant

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

You get to fly to some amazing Ski towns. You work connection flights, so you get to travel to a lot of cool areas (nonrev) if you are lucky enough to get a seat.

Cons

The company does not but employees first and even pressures employees not to talk to Unions.

Used to be a good company, but they don't treat the grounds crews well anymore

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Spokane, WA

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to fly for free around the world.

Cons

Low pay, bad benefits, corporate doesn't care about the outstations.