SkyWest

www.skywest.com

SkyWest Reviews

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

SkyWest Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, SkyWest Airlines and Atlantic Southeast Airlines Jerry C. Atkin
Jerry C. Atkin

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you can be VERY flexible with your time of travel (in 39 reviews)

• If you like to travel, the travel benefits will be wonderful for you (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, over-worked, unappreciated (ramp and customer service agents at least) (in 8 reviews)

• Flight benefits are nice, but it seems to be getting harder to get places (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Flight Attendant

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

You get to fly to some amazing Ski towns. You work connection flights, so you get to travel to a lot of cool areas (nonrev) if you are lucky enough to get a seat.

Cons

The company does not but employees first and even pressures employees not to talk to Unions.

Used to be a good company, but they don't treat the grounds crews well anymore

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Spokane, WA

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to fly for free around the world.

Cons

Low pay, bad benefits, corporate doesn't care about the outstations.

Great travel job

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SkyWest full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. I worked there for 15 years and flew around the world. Job flexibilty is ideal. I met some wonderful people that I am wii be friends with the rest of my life. You can work many different positions and experience the company. I have worked as a ticket agent, gate agent, ramp, supervisor, manager, and flight attendant.

Cons

Pays very low and work is continuing being outsourced. I was at a station that close because we lost our contract to a lower bidder that had inferior service and track record. The company's main concern is the bottom-line.

Ask employee feedback and soultions for money saving ideas. Don't just implement less hours, lower pay, and a slash of benefits without giving them a chance to come up with a soultion. Give the the big picture and what SkyWest needs to have to be competitive without destroying all the benefits.

Understanding the payscale

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love dealing with people, and the crew. The trips are enjoyable.

Cons

I realize I need to work a longer time span, however, I need the ability to earn a larger income than I have this past month.

Not recommended

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Chicago, IL

I worked at SkyWest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits, they start paying a little higher than some other airlines and that is pretty much it

Cons

In that company they like to put a lot of pressure on the mechanics. The paperwork system that they have it is a big mess causing many mistakes such as forgotten signs and planes flying with opened logs. At the end of the day the mechanics get yelled at and blamed for those mistakes getting warnings and write-ups which are very common. The supervises some of them specially on night shift can be really mean and like to yell, rush, stress and make the mechanics work on extremely bad weather outside the hanger on extremely cold conditions having space inside for the plane and not sending help. There is not much job security but a lot of stress. This company it is in serious need of a labor union that can protect the employees and to prevent stress related mistakes. Other thing is they are very invasive in the private life of the employees making them go to road trips, go to meetings or work on their days off.

Treat the employees like humans

Does not give good training to new staff.

Current Employee - Customer Service Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

Flight benefits are really amazing.

Cons

Lack of structure and guidance and helping people become great assets for the company.

Get outside training for yourself and your staff.

Great benefits but work is very hard. Been employed over 5 years.

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great flight benefits for yourself, parents, direct family members (spouse, domestic partner, children) and companions. I love my coworkers.

Cons

Management working in airports has often little managerial experience and treats employees like children even when they're 40 or 50 years old. Culture based on punishment, you get written up for any stupid reason, tying your shoe laces the wrong way. 50 year old employees get treated like children who need babysitting. There is no trust in letting you do your job right. This is a company that loves micromanagement so as long as you're ok with it...
    Pay is very low for industry standard. In LAX you'll make $9/hour, which is less than survival pay for that city.

See above. Value your employees more, not just in words on the internal website. It's such a hard work dealing with passengers all day and an infinite number of delays and cancellations, value your employees more, many quit because they don't feel valued, regardless of flight benefits.

Horrible /racist company

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SkyWest full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None , I will absolutely never work or recommend any minority's to work for a company where you have to watch everything you do , because of your ethnicity

Cons

Horrible company , turn the other way if you are a minority! Worst experience of my life ! They fire more minority's for stupid reasons watch your back .

You have absolutely no blacks in coporate or management ! Ask any Skywest employee what they think of the company and they all will tell you the same thing !

One of the best US Regionals

I worked at SkyWest

Pros

The people, the ability to move throughout the company.

Cons

The pay and in some cases the hours (graveyard)

Now that we're the largest the transparency has disappeared.

Great company

Current Employee - Specialist in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Specialist in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture and great people to work with. Favorite job I have had. Everyone is friends and openly cooperative. It really is a great environment.

Cons

Not too many cons at SkyWest. For the most part I don't have any complaints. Some times communication between departments is not the greatest.