SkyWest

SkyWest Reviews

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.1

SkyWest Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, SkyWest Airlines and Atlantic Southeast Airlines Jerry C. Atkin
Jerry C. Atkin

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you can be VERY flexible with your time of travel (in 38 reviews)

• Travel benefits" are a gimmick to get low paying positions filled for even lower pay (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, over-worked, unappreciated (ramp and customer service agents at least) (in 8 reviews)

• Flight benefits are nice, but it seems to be getting harder to get places (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A nice starter job. Great flying benefits if you can find the free time.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flying benefits for yourself, parents, wife, kids and be able to travel all over the world . Coworkers are great people to work with and be around. shift trading to allow yourself to travel and be flexible

Cons

Busy especially during holidays and sumer. Working outside in very hot or cold weather (rain). Pay scale is really low and tiny raise. not really much room for promotions.

Enjoyed while it lasted...

I worked at SkyWest

Pros

Bonus', flight benefits, great health benefits.

Cons

Long hours, some managers are uncaring.

Good stepping stone in the aviation industry.

Current Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - A&P Mechanic in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flight benefits can be good with planning. Can swap shifts with others in order to get time off. Ability to work lots of overtime if needed but hardly ever required.

Cons

Stuck on weekends to start out. There can be lots of complaining from co-workers for things that aren't that big of deal causing drama.

SKywest

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's an enjoyable job for single people who want to travel but don't mind not making much money during their first year

Cons

Need to be a people pleaser and be okay with not being able to please people all the time

Not a good career, okay for part time work as young person.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to travel, the travel benefits will be wonderful for you. The company is full of nice people and teamwork amongst peers is usually great. Bad employees don't last long, so you are left with hard workers! There is a fair amount of vacation time and shift trades are a possibility.

Cons

Low pay, recent pay cuts to boot. Lack of communication between management and staff. Tough schedules with minimum flexibility. You will likely be working early in the morning or late at night. Waking up at 2 AM was not unusual for me. Also, you will be constantly exposed to the elements. This means moving heavy things around in -10F, for 10 hours a day, which makes it very easy to injure yourself or get sick. Company does not provide proper clothing for cold weather. Ramp work is very challenging at times. Be prepared to cover the job of multiple people by yourself. Company is known for being short staffed. Can be very stressful.

is fun to work for Skywest airlines.

Former Employee - CS Agent in Montrose, CO
    Former Employee - CS Agent in Montrose, CO

I worked at SkyWest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to do many things and fly for free.

Cons

Not much pay and long hours and no sympathy.

keep up the good work.

Previously employed at Skywest Airlines

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SkyWest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The level of professionalism by all of my colleagues was exceptional. Excellent training program.

Cons

Employees are paid below the industry standard. The employees who are able to thrive typically have financial support.

Understand that when staff members are not paid a living wage (acceptable for the cost of living) morale is diminished.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (Health, 401k, profit sharing) including flight benefits. Great people to work with, including the managers who go out of their way to make sure we have what we need to get the work done.

Cons

Flight benefits are nice, but it seems to be getting harder to get places. Other than that, though, a great place to work.

Flight Attendant

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SkyWest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefits, flexibility, self guided daily routine.

Cons

Long hours, seniority based system

Being able to work less hours would save company money through, less sick calls, overall moral of employees, and less senior pay rates met. Part time should be available to more inflight staff.

Flight Attendant for SkyWest

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SkyWest part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am sorry, but the pros were just constructed in my mind, as the job of Flight Attendants seemed to be glamorous one time, maybe too long ago.

Cons

1- RELOCATION: No matter how the selected applicant is close to one of the SkyWest home bases, the selected is asked to relocate.
    2- CLEANING TOILETS: After completing a 30 days training in Salt Lake City, and feeling eager to start, I found out the day of my I.O.E. ( Initial Operating Experience) that the reality is that being a Flight Attendant for a regional U.S. company like SkyWest, spells a job description equal to being a MAID, who cleans the plane after the passengers leave the premises...and W.C. lavatories included!!!!
    3- UNTOLD JOB DESCRIPTION: I almost quit that day, particularly for the untold truth of my job description, as mentioned above.
    4- DUTIES TO PERFORM WHILE UNPAID: Furthermore, since Flight Attendants at SkyWest are getting paid from "When the airplane's door closes" to " When the airplane's door opens", my MAID SERVICE, (that is cleaning the airplane and the toilets/ lavatories) is NOT paid!
    5- THE MONEY: the money that I get from this job is not enough to pay the bills. The maximum hours that I can gather is 125, but the "idle time" involved into this job, as to be available when I am put "On call", in addition to the fact that I am being paid according to the "Airplane's door, from its closing to its opening".
    6- LOWERING THE LIMBO STICK ANOTHER NOTCH: So, my dear aspiring Flight Attendants for SkyWest and the similar, no matter how of a team player you think you are, you will be used by this Company and there will be no compensation for the amount of goods you will give out.
    5- THE ACTING DURING THE GROUP INTERVIEWS: the group interviews are held in a hotel, and among the real applicants, there are current employees, posing as applicants. These employees might also be already Flight Attendants in uniform (non denominational) and they are asked to "act" as applicants who super qualified, super beautiful, super intelligent...in case the real applicants gets cold feet and actually starts to believe that this job is for the low life of town. This "acting" is so obvious that I would say it is hilarious; it is calculated and designed to give the appearance of a highly coveted job position, and a plethora of stellar applicants willing to die for it.
    6- WHO IS SELECTED AMONG THE APPLICANTS: if you just read paragraph 5, the real applicants that are selected are the ones that are clueless to this "acting"...or just play dumb and go with the flow ( I did that with a fake smile on my face). Ah, not to forget to mention: the "acting current employees" who are among the real applicants ARE selected, and their Names are posted for everyone to see...as part of the act.
    Please.
    7- WHY AM I STILL WORKING AS FLIGHT ATTENDANT: well, it is too long of a story, but as soon as it will be feasible for me, I will be out of here and I will never look back.

I want to thank GLASSDOOR.COM for the opportunity to voice my experience and to inform many individuals who are considering to apply for this job. Information and knowledge is power. Stay informed my friends, and steer away from Companies who have NO Workers Unions.

"Dear" Managment,
    if you can read my paragraphs above, and most importantly, if you can read between the lines, stop the misinformation and the farses during the group interviews, start posting the real scoop about the duties of flight attendants, and do not lower the limbo stick another notch every time you deal with us. You are misinterpreting customer service. You want individuals that are smart enough to do the job and stupid enough to do it. Careful on the latter part.