SkyWest Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

SkyWest Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, SkyWest Airlines and Atlantic Southeast Airlines Jerry C. Atkin
Jerry C. Atkin

Pros
  • Good flight benefits if you can be VERY flexible with your time of travel (in 31 reviews)

• Travel benefits" are a gimmick to get low paying positions filled for even lower pay (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Flight benefits are nice, but it seems to be getting harder to get places (in 7 reviews)

• Regular junior schedule is minimum 100hrs per week away from home once you can hold a line (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

I have been working at SkyWest

Pros

if you are working for a regional this is one of the best

Cons

probably better off at a major airline.

Flight attendant

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SkyWest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Travel, meeting new people, good benefits

Cons

Being on reserve initially can be very challenging

Loved the culture, great coworkers

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at SkyWest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family oriented culture, caring coworkers, great benefits.

Cons

Job was depending on contracts with big airlines, work schedules changed a lot

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Trainer

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer & Customer Service Agent  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer & Customer Service Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SkyWest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at SkyWest is top notch, you won't find better people than at Skywest. Very down to earth & care about the individual, from customer service/ramp employees to corporate level(both of which I worked) I felt honored as an employee.

Cons

The cons about the airline industry have nothing to do with SkyWest- but just the nature of the business... It's all about seniority when it comes to scheduling- so plan in working nights, weekends & holidays for a few years if you are in the customer service/ramp end. Corporate positions obviously have better schedules. It's the beast of the airline industry but worth all the benefits of the job.

Keep up morale of your employees with encouragement, recognition & support the individual. It's easy to feel like just another employee - but I have had a few SkyWest managers that cared about me a little more & that made all the difference !

One of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever had, although it had some major drawbacks

Former Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SkyWest full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the challenges faced and the things I learned while I worked there. It will always be a memorable experience. It's hard to argue with flight benefits!

Cons

If it weren't for being furloughed, I would have left soon anyway. After my supervisor tried to write me up for not clocking out before leaving (with a workplace injury) and getting every night, weekend, and holiday shift there was, I was done dealing with management.

Picking shifts by seniority was a terrible technique for motivating newer employees to stay. It would have taken at least a few years to have high enough seniority that I actually could have gotten a shift that was worth keeping. Every night, weekend, and holiday gets old really fast.

good company to work for but not with downsides

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SkyWest full-time for more than a year

Pros

flight benefits, shift trading, people you work with

Cons

cost cutting makes the work environment really unsafe, pay cuts, station management is in chaos

in hiring station leaders please have some better qualifications, experience is not enough for them to be put on those positions

Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint George, UT

I have been working at SkyWest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

culture focused on employees, consistently successful financial results compared to industry norms, flexible work environment

Cons

margins are slim and pay is low, health benefits are very expensive for such a large company

at some point, wage/salary can no longer be overcome by other benefits/perks/consideration

Poor management, unsafe work conditions

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at SkyWest full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are usually a fun group, flight benefits (if you can afford them), and ability to trade shifts easily

Cons

Way too much work overload for pay (won't get lunch a lot), lack of manpower, lack of necessary/properly functioning equipment to get job done, rushed training, incompetent upper management, and inexperienced ramp agents given too much responsibility too early. All of these are leading to extremely dangerous work conditions and pose a risk to not only ramp agents, but the flight crews and passengers aboard aircraft.

If you're going to pay people next to nothing, the least you can do is make them feel appreciated. There is no incentive for people to work hard. Also, listen to your employees. There are new procedures that have constantly been introduced and continue to fail because the people making the decisions sit in their office all day and have no first hand understanding for why they are doing what they're doing. If you're not willing to invest and trust in your employees, then don't expect great results.

Management is very clicky.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at SkyWest part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing flight benefits, could fly nearly anywhere in the world for cheap or free. Flexible with shifts. I was flying to the beach nearly every week.

Cons

Very clicky, management will give ideal shifts to their friends. The computer system for shift trading was horrible, and got me in a lot of trouble when I traded a shift but it didn't reflect the trade in the supervisor's system. My person would show up for my shift and not see their name on the schedule and then I would be knocked for a no-show. This ultimately became part of the reason I left.

The pay is low.

People really need to stop acting like it is High School, be more professional.

SkyWest is going Sky South

Former Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Denver, CO

I worked at SkyWest full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best way to work for SkyWest airlines in this day and age is to be a part time employee with another job with a reasonable and livable salary of its own.
    The only major pro to working for this airline is that you receive some amazing flight benefits if you take the bit of time to learn how to get around on the non-rev system. That is currently the only reason they still have employees with more than 1 year of seniority at the Denver station.

Cons

This list can be incredibly long, so I'll keep it to the biggest ones:
    Lower and middle management are borderline incompetent; They very seldom, if ever, are willing to assist with issues and that's assuming they even know what you're asking them about.
    They talk a lot about their amazing company culture, however that turns out to be just a cheap marketing gimmic in their interview/hiring process. The culture at SkyWest is: Work yourself into the ground, then maybe we'll give you a gold star.
    Poor pay: You will have to work at least three 16 hour shifts in a week on top of your normally scheduled hours at a station like Denver to make ends meet if you are a full time employee.
    Equipment in Disrepair: Not enough of it and it is old, dangerous and often doesn't work right.
    Too many new employees too regularly: Unless you know anything about the aviation industry, starting out as a Customer Service or Ramp Agent for SkyWest is essentially like walking through the gates of Hell. But if you now anything about the industry, why would you work there in the first place unless you want flight benefits?

If you want to keep your company in a systematic, functional, and good operational order, then you need to treat your employees better. Offering them more competitive pay rates, better reasons to stay with the company, and be willing to stop donating so much of your profits to the LDS church and put that money toward your people, since you keep having to lower your biding with the Mainline airlines.
    Also, make sure your management is competent. One of the worst issues of the Denver station where I had been employed was that people who worked and worked well were constantly bombarded with miserable working conditions because they could get a plane in and out regardless of normal constraints.
    Favoritism is a BIG no-no on the ramp: When there are plenty of open gates, or gates where planes are sitting for several hours MOVE THEM. Don't just let the other people get their a$$es kicked. You just had a DEN Station GM get fired because of that, and it's still going on.

Worked for SkyWest? Contribute to the Community!