Skyline Chili
www.skylinechili.com Fairfield, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

Skyline Chili Reviews

Updated May 27, 2014
Skyline Chili – Independence – “My Second Home”

Kevin R. McDonnell

Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a very fun work environment. everyone got along and we had a fun time working.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say. I loved that job.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Great place to waitress!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat management, well-trained staff, enjoyable customers, quick table turnover allowing for tips to come in very quickly

ConsSmell like chili when you go home for the day

Great first job

Cashier/Drive Thru (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Pros-It was great for a student's schedule, very flexible with hours.
    -You were given a set schedule, which was a plus for me, personally.
    -It was a great first job for younger people.
    -Coworkers are fun and friendly
    -Busy work environment

ConsI can't think of many negative things to say besides getting off. Since you have a set schedule, it is completely your responsibility to find someone to work for you if you want off.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok, but not great

Shift Manager (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe benefits of working at Skyline include a decently enjoyable work atmosphere as well as free food. I worked at Skyline for 7 years and found that it will probably be the easiest job I will ever have. They do not expect much out of you, and I've noted it is pretty difficult to get fired. I've seen people walk out on their shifts and still have jobs. The company has been sued a few times and will do whatever they have to do to prevent any lawsuits. So your calls to HR will surely be handled and dealt with. The hours vary on location; some locations are open until 1-3 am while others close at 9. The positive side to open late is that there is plenty of hours to go around. Your co-workers aren't extremely motivated, so you will get plenty of opportunities to pick up shifts. Good deal for people who don't go to college.

ConsThe pay was pretty bad. After 7 years, I left as a shift manager making $9.35. They do not particularly recognize hard work and favoritism is a major problem in every store I ever worked (worked primarily at one location, but filled in at several stores when they were short on shift managers.) The majority of the people who work at Skyline aren't educated and there are many former felons because Skyline loves the tax breaks. Most of the people at the corporate office (but not all) seem like they are equally incompetent and there are very few people within this company that have actual bachelors degrees. The General Manager job, in my opinion, is the best job I've seen in the company. AGMs do very similar work as the GM but are paid substantially less. Be prepared to work with some very unmotivated people who lack education. Most people I worked with were on public assistance because they didn't make much money at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart rewarding loyalty and promote from within. The pay is terrible all around unless you're a GM. The District Managers need to actually get out into the stores and actually spend a day in the employee's shoes instead of barking out orders without any actual real information.

A great place to serve!

Server (Former Employee)
    Mason, OH

ProsEasy money. Easy schedule. Easy hours. Great place to work in high school or college. I enjoyed working there because they were flexible with my school schedule.

ConsThe cleaning! Sometimes the customers can be difficult to deal with but for the most part if you do your job, you'll get tips and make money.

Fun environment, good money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment, fast paced, never boring

ConsUnpredictable hours, weekend and late night hours

Easy serving job

Server (Former Employee)
    West Chester, OH

ProsGood hours, free food, easy work

Conspoor, lazy management. no appreciation for hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to treat all employees equal.

Great experience but depends on the store

Production - Cook (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsSkyline is a great organization to work for, schedules are made flexible by understanding managers and helpful coworkers. Employees are easy to get along with and have been helpful in my many years experience.

ConsI moved from a store that expected nothing but hard work and enthusiasm from all employees to a poor atmosphere store where work ethic suffered as the owner didnt spend enough time there. Coworkers' poor attitudes brought me down and affected my work ethic as well. Servers also complain about poor tips.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet the right example for employees and dont put up with poor work ethic, it is contagious.

Good college job

Server, Shift Manager (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsFlexible with class schedule and extra curricular activities, decent money when serving. Not difficult to learn and fun interacting with customers and employees.

ConsFavoritism is show to some employees, some is based on seniority and some is based on relationship with management. Drinking and drug use by some employees while at work, or right before work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training programs needed for employees across the board.

Ok place to work

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsSteady business, community icon and well known nationally

ConsFood industry is pretty boring

Worked for Skyline Chili? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skyline Chili reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skyline Chili CEO Kevin R. McDonnell. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Skyline Chili employees.