Skyline Hotels and Resorts

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Michael Sneyd

1. No matter how much you need money, its not worth it!!!!

I have been working at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to get discounts at other hotels. Other than that everything else has been cut including perks and benefits. Its a shame really

Cons

No connection with workers. Bottom line focused and will cut whoever and whatever they think. Management is a joke for hospitality, as well as running any type of operation or development.

Advice to Management

Get real. Look at the colleague to customer profit chain and realize that unhappy colleagues can and will reduced your earning potential. I actually tell people not to come to any of the properties because it is so poorly managed.

2. Worst career move possible.

Former Employee - Senior Management in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I worked at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free chair lift ticket... benefits... and nice views when you're driving into work.

Cons

During my time here they scaled back employee benefits on the resorts, took away the good hotel discounts, continuously tried to unroll new systems to engage employees like internal engagement surveys and the achieve rewards...All of which were poorly received internally. I was stationed at one of the resorts in an administration building where the pipe burst in our only bathroom, rendering it useless for months... In the winter we would have to hike up to the main hotel just to use the bathroom. On top of that, rat feces began populating around my keyboard and that of my coworkers. Traps weren't laid until I CCd every single individual in upper management, human resources and health and safety. I filed 3 complaints with human resources regarding offside treatment from my staff... followed by an 83 page highlighted printed document a few weeks before finally giving up on the company and submitting my notice. I gave Skyline a fair shot. I continue to work with industry professionals and developers who know skyline to be the company that has a high turnover and very poor management. They have earned their poor reputation, so I give credit where credit is due.

Advice to Management

When you begin removing coffee machines from the employee stations for 'budget cuts', it's time to admit you have a failing business with the worst possible leadership in the industry. At least one ego is there to stroke the other through the hard times.

3. The money isn't worth it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well
    Good benefits and perks
    Easy to access hotels in Toronto from TTC

Cons

Very difficult accounting overall (not the team in accounting, just actually being able to order items for your department)
    Management a nightmare - rotating between micromanaging and not at all involved
    Hotel employees in Toronto do not get meal benefits
    Too many meetings
    Design of hotels in Toronto is not conducive to working in a real hotel environment
    Employees overall generally dissatisfied - it's like a revolving door in some positions
    Union controls management

Advice to Management

Honestly don't know what to say - they have made some changes in management but for some properties (like Cosmopolitan) it's tough to do anything.

5. Information Technology Specailist

Current Employee - IT Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with, many different departments to work with, and great employee perks

Cons

working long hours, long commute if you live outer part of the city

Advice to Management

great management, top 100 managmenet company

Great potential, zero strategy

Former Employee - Server in Huntsville, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Server in Huntsville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Skyline Hotels and Resorts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in a resort was a great way to meet people, both co-workers and customers in a relaxed environment. Good opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities while learning a new business and getting paid.

Cons

Lack of consistency between how employees are treated between departments i.e. scheduling, training, feedback, making decisions, etc.

Advice to Management

This company has some wonderful properties and great potential. Not of this potential will be realized however if the focus changes on a daily basis. There is no consistency. One day the customer is priority and the next day saving money at all cost is the key. There has to be a balance and some consistency.

Nov 24, 2014CEO

This is my first experience in working with the Glass Door website and it will not be my last. Skyline values our colleague relationships and is open to constructive criticism and suggestions. Our ... More

7. Revolving Door

I worked at Skyline Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Good for students; hospitality focused company can be a beneficial opportunity for those interested in the industry.

Cons

Nepotism appears to be of greater value, creating an apparent 'top heavy' management presence. Burning cash for salaries and administration while churning out exhausted ideas from circa 1997 can prove a fatal blow to Timeshare and other ventures.

Advice to Management

Credentials and pedigree should be considered in hiring decisions. Heavy expenditures on salaries and lack of sustainable ideas may wear down on a once promising company.

Nov 24, 2014CEO

Thank you for your comments regarding nepotism and exhausted ideas from circa 1997 relating to timeshare and other ventures. We recognized the same issues as the reviewer and have made several ... More

8. Very Poor Management

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth only if the right people know you. Complete disregard to potential experience and commitment of the employee. If you know people and rub their backs you will move up

Cons

Extremely partial, bias and racist attitude towards people from different ethnicities. My supervisor was treated me very badly and always lied about my performance so that she could get me to leave the job so she could hire her friend for the role.

Advice to Management

Choose your middle management wisely and keep an eye on their performance and leadership skills. If someone is lacking in his social skills and is mis-treating an employee look into it and take action. After all its the team that can achieve success collectively.

Nov 24, 2014CEO

I appreciate the time that you devoted to provide a review of your time within Skyline’s reservation call center. Your comment regarding “extremely partial, bias and racist attitude towards people ... More

A company looking for a new title Baseline Hotels & Resorts

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, free internet, free kitchen

Cons

from Chairman to CEO to President... no hospitality acumen/ no retention-blowing with the wind

Advice to Management

Change your thinking process... especially Mr.CEO.. resort business is not weather dependent... i understand it is but only in the case when you have a storm and which causes road closures... if you can't run resorts then you should have stuck to the King Edward Hotel... But you were not capable of running that hotel... time to change the name of the company soon-- Baseline.. (sinking Titanic).. i got a job n now u go get it... Job power..

Nov 24, 2014CEO

Thank you for your honest appraisal and advice. We will have to agree to disagree regarding the effect of weather on the resort business. I just came from a meeting with other industry leaders who ... More

Negative Changes Look Elsewhere

I have been working at Skyline Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Relaxed hours, good benefits, free coffee.

Cons

Mass layoffs, with no visible or cohesive strategy in place. It feels like management is just panicking after a lack luster IPO and is now trying to operate at the bare minimum.

They expect employees to take on roles not under their job desription and with no strategic guidance from
    Above. Basically, there is ZERO strategy and they just expect everyone to know what to do and what is going on.

They are notorious for hiring people who have no clue what they are doing, 'promoting' executive assistants into director roles where they have no previous experience in.

Stifling corporate culture, 90% of the staff are women and it's a very unprofessional high school-like environment. There is also a slight sexist mentality from some sr execs which is more evident in some more than others.

Advice to Management

Hire the RIGHT people and fight for the top talent to stay. Figure out your company objectives both financially and socially and communicate with your employees.

Keep the President at bay as he is pulling the company in 10000 different directiona that won't benefit anyone.

Nov 24, 2014CEO

Thank you for your forthright review of your employment at Skyline Hotels and Resorts.
    As I mentioned in other posts, senior management must improve communication to ensure that our strategy is well
    ... More

11. 7 years of challenging and rewarding carrier

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Skyline Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very dynamic and professional. It is 14 year old.

It is a growing entity, as such much of the activities are in the uncharted territory. It means the right person to take over as much as you can handle

Cons

Sometimes stressful, requires an ability to learn and adapt to the new systems and policies and procedures.
    Resort operations are very weather dependent

RSS Feed </> Embed