Skype

Skype Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Not yet rated.

Gurdeep Singh Pall

Cool product, lots of opportunity unrealized

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Skype full-time for more than a year

ProsCool product and brand. Desire to innovate.

ConsThings move slowly. Company distributed across many geographies which has some advantages but also some challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementCapitalize on one of the biggest brands in the communications space.

Fun but not satisfying.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Skype full-time for more than a year

ProsAll the non-work related perks you can think of. Lunch, snacks, parties, celebrations, you name it...

ConsVery little satisfying engineering work to be done in the Palo Alto office combined with over-hiring makes for a depressed/bored workforce with a ridiculously high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose that office down. I know you like the idea of having a presence in California/Silicon Valley but as an engineering office, it's pointless. Open yourselves a corporate corner in Microsoft's offices in Mountain View and leave it at that.

Very dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Skype full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work on a great product that is used by millions of people worldwide.

ConsThe organization is completely dysfunctional, where nothing can ever be done. The overall organization is bureaucratic and people at present have given up in trying to innovate and are just waiting to cash out by end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way and let people do their job.

Sales Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Skype

ProsGreat sales managers and fellow employees, very open to new ideas. As long as you are doing your job they will not micromanage you. It is a great place to work.

ConsCompensation is the only downside to working there..

Fun and friendly place to work

I have been working at Skype full-time for more than a year

ProsFree lunch and fully stocked fridge and snacks.
The health benefits are great!
Office decor is modern and comfortable.

ConsLong commute from San Francsico.

Has potential, but lacks polish and respect for workers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Skype

ProsSkype has a nice, new office that is a very comfortable place to work. Snacks and drinks are provided twice a week and have now generally reached the point where they will last through the week. There are recreational activities, such as pool, ping pong, foosball, and basketball. Management attempts to be transparent about the direction of the company.

ConsSkype has an ingrained culture of distrust between teams and the lack of desire to share knowledge. Projects tend to get over-engineered; that is, they become more complicated than they need to be. It also has the culture of a work-first environment, so if you're looking for a good work-life balance, this is not the place for you. The transparency management shares doesn't seem to line up with what the feeling and rumors are saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the bonuses and gifts are based on a work-to-be-served basis, rather than a work-served basis. Give employees the credit that they deserve when they have worked their tails off to take the company to the next level. Transparency is good, but be honest. Most employees are uncertain about the merger and how it will benefit them. While you reassure us that it will be good, tell us what we get in return. Otherwise, we all think that it's all about Management getting rich.

Very slow pace - will be difficult to survive

I have been working at Skype full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMicrosoft is a good employer. Still a very popular brand. Management is changing for better.

ConsCompetition is eating Skype alive. Very slow. Good place to learn and then to move on. Management is changing, yet as everything in Skype - very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange or die.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

System engineer

I have been working at Skype

ProsGood pay when you start, the people you work with are always nice and friendly (most of them anyway). During the period of September to February hours are great.

ConsThey tend to update things that do not really need updating but will not update the thing that do need updating like computers. They make certain changes that they think are for the better but are not like the new system of PTO. They act like just because Flu season is over from March through August that we get less busy and SLASH hours like its no ones business.

Awesome new management

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Skype full-time for more than a year

Pros- New management (Gurdeep Pall is effectively ceo) seems to have great vision & technical chops
- great spot for a developer focused on mobile

Cons- Losing share to Whatsapp.
- new Microsoft leadership untested.

Advice to Senior ManagementLets go after the competition

Nice company, lots to learn

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Proswork/life balance
technologies
recognition
brand
the new head of Skype (Gurdeep Pall) seems competent, although still too early to judge.

Consslow pace.
company sit on their laurels while being outpaced by competition in every aspect.
constant changes in org slow the whole thing down.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's been a year I hear "we are mobile first", let's talk less and actually make it awesome.

Worked for Skype? Contribute to the Community!

Skype Videos

Skype – Why Work for Us?

What is Skype? Skype is for doing things together, whenever you’re apart. Skype’s text, voice and video make it simple to share experiences with the people that matter to you, wherever they are. With Skype, you can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skype reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skype CEO Gurdeep Singh Pall. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Skype employees.