Skype

Simply awesome

Design Researcher (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsFree Breakfast!

Extremely flexible work schedule

Impactful and important work on Lync and Skype.

Really great People!

ConsContractors are physically separated from FTEs and 2nd class citizens unless you prove yourself.

Early meetings do to half of the team in London vs. Redmond

Reorg after Reorg after Reorg after Reorg [Hopefully settling down now]

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let Microsoft crush what makes Skype different from the other teams!

The lack of opportunities for conversion from contract costs you talent and the 100 day forced me to relocate for a steady job [thanks to 5+ reorgs in a calendar year]

Mixed feelings

ProsGreat benefits under Microsoft, Great people to hang out with, Nice offices, Good pay.

ConsOh boy where to begin... MS culture is pretty bad. Quality of MS software too. Both internal what we use and what we serve to customers. Skype has it's own microclimate culture that's pretty awesome but MS monster is too big. People leaving is increasing trend. Too much politics, meetings, slow decision making and unclear direction by mid management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess talking, meetings and presentations and more action. Just let your people to do what they are best at. Don't over think - simplify.

Overstaffed, slow and bureaucratic

ProsSpacious office, nice perks, free lunch, kitchen

ConsMicrosoft is enforcing Skype to abandon its own choice of technologies and use Microsoft's instead, .net, Azure etc. As a result a lot of Microsoft employees join skype because they are familiar with these technologies. But they often carry the characteristics brewed in the infamous Microsoft employee rating system : instead of focusing on doing good work, they work to prove that they are better than their coworkers, and they carry over the Microsoft bureaucracy as well. More procedures are introduced, more people joined yet things are done slower, or are never done.

It is striking that with so much competition on the market (Google hangout, whatsapp, just to name a few), the Skype client remains the same, except it now has ads.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Test engineer at skype

Software Development Engineer In Test II (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWorking with great people, since Microsoft showed up compensation, health insurance, bonuses and facilities provided got better, more career opportunities among different teams.

ConsSince Microsoft showed up Skype started spending more time on integration than on actual development, so there are lots of opportunities that were lost due to acquisition process.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess conservativeness should add more work satisfaction and get results more quickly.

Cool product, lots of opportunity unrealized

Marketing (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsCool product and brand. Desire to innovate.

ConsThings move slowly. Company distributed across many geographies which has some advantages but also some challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementCapitalize on one of the biggest brands in the communications space.

Fun but not satisfying.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsAll the non-work related perks you can think of. Lunch, snacks, parties, celebrations, you name it...

ConsVery little satisfying engineering work to be done in the Palo Alto office combined with over-hiring makes for a depressed/bored workforce with a ridiculously high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose that office down. I know you like the idea of having a presence in California/Silicon Valley but as an engineering office, it's pointless. Open yourselves a corporate corner in Microsoft's offices in Mountain View and leave it at that.

Very dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsYou get to work on a great product that is used by millions of people worldwide.

ConsThe organization is completely dysfunctional, where nothing can ever be done. The overall organization is bureaucratic and people at present have given up in trying to innovate and are just waiting to cash out by end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way and let people do their job.

Sales Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat sales managers and fellow employees, very open to new ideas. As long as you are doing your job they will not micromanage you. It is a great place to work.

ConsCompensation is the only downside to working there..

Fun and friendly place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFree lunch and fully stocked fridge and snacks.
    The health benefits are great!
    Office decor is modern and comfortable.

ConsLong commute from San Francsico.

Has potential, but lacks polish and respect for workers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSkype has a nice, new office that is a very comfortable place to work. Snacks and drinks are provided twice a week and have now generally reached the point where they will last through the week. There are recreational activities, such as pool, ping pong, foosball, and basketball. Management attempts to be transparent about the direction of the company.

ConsSkype has an ingrained culture of distrust between teams and the lack of desire to share knowledge. Projects tend to get over-engineered; that is, they become more complicated than they need to be. It also has the culture of a work-first environment, so if you're looking for a good work-life balance, this is not the place for you. The transparency management shares doesn't seem to line up with what the feeling and rumors are saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the bonuses and gifts are based on a work-to-be-served basis, rather than a work-served basis. Give employees the credit that they deserve when they have worked their tails off to take the company to the next level. Transparency is good, but be honest. Most employees are uncertain about the merger and how it will benefit them. While you reassure us that it will be good, tell us what we get in return. Otherwise, we all think that it's all about Management getting rich.

Worked for Skype? Contribute to the Community!