Skyscanner Reviews

Reset
4.8
Skyscanner Co-founder & Chief Executive Gareth Williams
Gareth Williams

1. It's an Honour to work for such a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Skyscanner

Pros

Absolutely brilliant place to work and I am confident it will continue to be so. Higher management is fantastic.

Cons

Sometimes communication can be tough between global offices.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing!

Work environment that breeds creativity, collaboration and success!

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Employee empowerment is key. Not only does Skyscanner focus on continued learning, but they encourage their associates to speak their minds and problem solve. They create a culture where its okay to try something new and not simply fit into the mold. They provide flexible work hours, regular feedback, charity days to connect to the community, an abundance of vacation, inter-office bonding events, and an amazing community of free-thinkers I am happy to be a part of.

Cons

I got an error message asking that I put cons in. I'm sure I'm not the first Skyscanner employee to attempt to skip this section and end up seeing that red box. It's for a reason.

Advice to Management

As you grow, continue to be involved your associates as you do now. Sitting down regularly at lunchs and speaking to employees at all levels really makes a difference.

Fun, relaxed yet fast paced work atmosphere.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Skyscanner has a great company culture, and great people. The traditional "corporate" bureaucracy is almost non-existent. The reinforces collaboration through teamwork while acknowledging and rewarding individual accomplishments. They provide ample opportunity for career development and make on-going training a priority. Flexible working takes into consideration "real" life and doesn't keep me tied to a desk 9-5.

Cons

Sink or Swim. Skyscanner is a very fast paced work environment where collaboration and individual drive is key. With a complex product it is at times challenging to understand the ever changing technologies that the company is based on.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to innovate and fail. Keeping tech fresh is the only way keep the momentum.

5. Absolutely incredible place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Manager Hotels, Americas in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Hotels, Americas in Miami, FL

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a similar culture as some of the coolest, most fun and innovative companies in the world. It's one of the best companies to work for in the world. I am so lucky and happy to be working here.

- Relaxed, fun and motivating atmosphere
    - Flexibility & work/life balance
    - Bright, creative, quirky and awesome people/colleagues
    - Flat organization structure
    - Benefits/perks
    - Growth opportunity

Cons

Benefits (healthcare cost), but this will be improving as company grows and we hire more employees.

6. Nice & energetic

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is open and relaxed, one of the best places that I've worked hands down. I feel that I can always learn new tech & skills which I think is really important for a developer. Every service / product has a distinct, small & focused team with end-to-end responsibility. Because of this, most of the time you have a say on the direction things, you're rarely told what you should to from upper management.

Cons

At a company of this size, you need to deal with bureaucracy which sometimes can be daunting. Also, people tend to do overtime which is unpaid - though this varies by office / location.

Advice to Management

Generally, continue what you're doing. Keep the hierarchy flat & try to keep the stress levels low - your developers will flourish.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance.
    Fantastic culture where you're trusted to get the work done without micro-managing.
    Lots of opportunities of career growth/advancement.
    Everyone is friendly...
    Really can't go wrong.

Cons

Salary isn't quite as high as similar companies.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive - don't stop innovating :)

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Skyscanner

Pros

Freedom to chose, open minded to listen developers opinions, product-driven but with direct impact from what is developed.

Cons

Any cons found so far.

Advice to Management

Keep on letting developers give their opinions in the daily basis decisions, that makes you feel proud of your work!

Overall, a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, relaxed working environment and they trust their employees to get the job done without the need to look over your shoulder. Skyscanner is growing at great pace and it's fun to be part of a company which has so many changes year on year. There are some nice perks too, including employee share scheme, opportunities to attend conferences around the world and remote & flexible working.

Cons

The salaries on offer don't match up to those on offer elsewhere in the industry.

Advice to Management

As an internet business it should be recognised that in order to keep staff long-term, and attract great new talent, the company should be offering highly competitive salaries.

Good company to work and fast growing company

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Skyscanner

Pros

Work life balance
    Fun and exciting environment
    Supportive colleagues
    Pay is competitive
    Free fruits, snacks and drinks
    Many social activities
    Good GM in Apac

Cons

Need to be proactive because no one will give direction
    Lack of internal systems such as CRM, ERP etc
    Lack of proper training

Advice to Management

Provide more systems to be more effective
    Give more hardskills training

Am continually turning down offers to work elsewhere automatically.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly the Culture -- it's unlike any other place I've ever worked:

Daytime is Precious: flexible hours that are really flexible - the policy is "as long as the work gets done and you attend your teams ceremonies" - need a day off to fix your ceiling, no problem, work around it. Also don't waste time when you are together.

Your mother uses Skyscanner - everything we do is used by people who are probably less tech literal than us - that's really important and we mean it.

Collaborate to Complete - I've found that nearly everyone is approachable at Skyscanner. We work together and we play together.

Master, teach, Learn - you are expected to learn and to help others learn -- almost every week there are staff organised presentations or lightning talks about something cool that people want to share.

Add in the fact that we employ people from all over the world and there is a really interesting mix of people at Skyscanner - I work with a team of Spaniards, a Dutchman, a few Chinese colleagues - which is great.

Finally I feel like I am trusted to largely self govern myself - obviously there are management things but mostly I feel like if I want to do something because I feel that is the right thing to do - the chances are that, if I can argue for it, I get to do it.

My career has exploded at Skyscanner - I'm picking up skills continually - from a beginning as a developer working entirely in SQL I know build entire web scale platforms in C#, python, scala and use a bunch of NoSQL techs.

I get called by recruiters all of the time which is flattering and even though the jobs they are presenting to me are usually better paid, I can dismiss them out of hand.

I love working here.

Cons

Its a rapidly growing company so there are some awkward adjustments sometimes. Compensation is only so-so - I could get paid quite a bit more if I worked in a bank for instance - but then, I'd be working in a bank and it just isn't worth it.

Sometimes if feels we are a little top heavy - too many chiefs.

Also sometimes we seem to have a lack of focus -- too much work going on all at once.

Advice to Management

Keep going! - we can't lose out culture - I think we are awesome. A little more focus though would be good. Sometimes we should be "Just do it" rather than talk about a perfect solution.

RSS Feed </> Embed