Skytop Lodge

Updated October 11, 2014
2.0

Edward Mayotte
1 Rating

Cheated, discriminated against, harassed, used, wasted (and so on...)

Former Employee - Doorperson in Skytop, PA
    Former Employee - Doorperson in Skytop, PA

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful grounds. One meal per shift (you can choose either brkfst, Lnch or dnnr). Decent benefits, including 401K. Some of the top managers (that is, "SOME" of the Board Members) are wonderful people.

Cons

I worked at Skytop for approx. 3 years and literally gave them more than their money's worth in work. Got so popular there that all kinds of negative reactions from co-workers to managers began to follow me. Two Human Resources members began to chase me embarrassingly with sexual advances (you should be able to imagine the negative impact when I politely rejected their advances!). One co-worker felt he was the top boss because he's been employed there for 16 years. The man harassed me for nearly the entire time I worked in the same department with him and all my complaints to Human Resources were absolutely to no avail (despite the SOLID evidence I presented them with of me being outright discriminated against and harassed). Human Resources would hold meetings with employees and give these heart-felt speeches about how the doors to HR is always open for anybody who needs to complain or simply just want to vent their thoughts about anything or anyone. They'd go on to say that we can speak to HR openly and even if cursing helps get the thoughts out...welcome! The doors are NOT open for everyone; only to THEIR family and friends.They force you to sign documents and take surveys by threatening to withhold your paycheck. They'll have you use your own vehicle to go on errands, have you use your personal money and only give you back the exact amount for whatever they had you get them (no gas or vehicle wear & tear money, etc.). I no longer work there because I quit after the harassment was too unbearable. I had hoped to have a career at Skytop but those type of thoughts are not for every employee. Racism is a major issue there. I am not saying that everyone there are racist but several that are have this clout with some big figures there and if you do not accept their harassment...they will use their under-the-table clout to cause you to lose your job -no matter how many children you have to provide for or how many bills you have to pay!

There is no advise you can give to a management of arrogant people accept...be conscious of how you treat people on your way to the top because those same people you will see on your way to the bottom....

Beautiful resort but run very poorly.

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Skytop, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Skytop, PA

I worked at Skytop Lodge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

beautiful grounds. Lovely lodge with historical charm.

Cons

Unfortunately not the best place for employment. managed poorly. Not run like a resort or upscale hotel usually are.If you aren't related to someone already working there, or become party friends with management don't plan on keeping your job. discriminate against anyone , very unprofessional, hypocritical, inconsistent with policies and procedures. Everyday got to be so stress full because of all the procedure changes. you were instantly written up if you didn't know about the change before you reported to work. Embarrassingly underpaid for the amount of work done. Required to stand your whole shift. No management to back you up. Had to stand for hours on a thin rug on concrete hard floor. Hard on anyone's body. Guests and a lot of homeowner s or board members treat you like dirt. Not a friendly place to work. previous general manager was available with an open door. New GM is never in his office or door locked with him in there. Not approachable.
    Would not reccomend this place of employment. Sketchy hr team. Highly full of nepotism and inconsistencies. You may have a stellar resume but they would hire the convict over you if their family member was already an employee.

Be more open to listening to your employees. Compassion and professionalism go a lot farther than the whip.

Doesn't care about Employees as they should

I worked at Skytop Lodge

Pros

Beautiful Location with many amenities for employees and guests. Provide dorms for employee.

Cons

Management always says they will do this for you or that for you and give ou back what they take away but it never happens. They do not speak the truth.

Do what you say and Start getting rid of the Managers that are so mean and nasty to the hard working hourly employees.