Skyward

Be The First To
Add Photos

Skyward CEO Cliff King

Cliff King

Skyward cares about employees a truly great place to work could not be happier!!

I have been working at Skyward full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSkyward is an amazing company to work for, I could not be happier. They truly care about their employees. They offer competitive salaries and benefits. The future of Skyward looks very bright! They are expanding and currently have outgrown their two offices in Stevens Point and are planning on building a new building in Wisconsin. This company has been very successful for the past 30+ years. I am happy to be a part of it!

ConsThere are a lot of managers, sometimes less is more. However, it also means there is always areas for advancement.

A great product, but be prepared to be micromanaged.

Customs Service Representative (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Skyward full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you like to travel, this job provides the opportunity to see small towns as well as big cities across the country.
The product is sound and is great for the customer.

ConsFor the size of the company there seems to be an inordinate number of levels of management.
The amount of micromanagement is almost to the point of being asinine.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees, deal with issues on a case by case basis and don't make sweeping changes that drastically effects the quLity of life of the employees.

Started well, ended in bitter disappointment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Skyward full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you live in central wisco your in good shape. The rest of the company is pretty much out in the cold.

ConsPoor inexperienced management that is handicapped by arrogance and mediocrity. Growth is pitiful. There is no upward mobility unless you live in central wisconsin. Oh and your name better end in King.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Solid, high-tech company. Nice people. Good Values.

I have been working at Skyward full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeing a family-run company for more than 30 years, Skyward has a unique 'feel.' Known for hiring highly qualified, intelligent people, you get a real feeling that the workforce has a level of energy that isn't found everywhere. The customers we deal with, being school districts, are wonderful. They're smart people that care a lot about kids and their education. There is also a lot of growth at this company. For the foreseeable future, they're only going to expand into more territory and gain a larger market share of the K-12 administrative software industry.

ConsDepending on the department, there can be a lot of travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clear leadership would be appreciated, so that everyone company-wide can be on the same page with the company's vision.

Small family company trying to run with the big boys

I have been working at Skyward full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSkyward offers a great salary and benefits package for recent college graduates, including generous PTO, health, vision, dental, disability, life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, and a section 125 flex spending plan. Skyward is very dedicated to a niche market (school software) and tends to serve that market well.

ConsSkyward is aggressively trying to compete with larger, better-equipped rivals through state contracts and large RFPs. Unfortunately, they are spread very thin (with some people in customer service working >60 hours a week just to keep up), upper-management thinks within the "small-town Wisconsin" box, and in an effort to control costs while outlaying exorbitant amounts pursuing new contracts, there is absolutely zero expansion and growth potential. When people bun out and quit, nepotism becomes rampant or the positions aren't filled leaving others to pick up the slack while padding the bottom line. Promotions, when and if they do happen, are largely based on your relation to the King family and how well certain individuals like you--not on your loyalty, skill set, or ability to contribute to the organization.

Employees in customer service or QA will not obtain any marketable skill sets and management will not support you in pursuing any certifications or college coursework which will help you. Programmers will leave this company with the same skills they had when they arrived--which are now outdated. The only place you can grow here is in $ales or IT, and even then you'll be working with technology 3-5 years behind the curve. This company is NOT committed helping their employees--only selling product.

They watch your every move with internal timekeeping and resource management systems and are given no flexibility in how you do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some really talented people working for you who don't get any of the recognition they deserve. Your salaries and benefits are not on par with your competitors. You offer zero opportunity for growth once employed. Employees who are unhappy or wanting to move elsewhere in the company are shown the exit door. You are losing great people in your PM and CS departments. And there are at least a half dozen I know who will leave once the right opportunity comes around. Is that "right opportunity" going to be with Skyward or somewhere else?

Nice place to work, competent employees

IT Intern (Former Employee)
Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Skyward as an intern for less than a year

ProsAt least where I worked (IT), the group I was with was easy-going and friendly. Didn't take too long to get up-to-speed. Reasonable workload (I'd almost say a touch light at times, but I'm not going to complain about that)

ConsLots of cubes, one of my goals is to find a company that doesn't do that. They give the short-term employees old, slow PCs...

Advice to Senior ManagementWin back WI

Ok if you liked to be micromanaged

Customer Service Representative/Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Skyward

Pros-Travel opportunities
-Customers are mostly pleasant
-Fair benefits

Cons-Micromanagement
-Low starting salaries for employees with relevant experience
-Lots of Overtime

it gave me a great leap back into the work force and a stepping stone to a great career elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Skyward

Prosrequires a college degree which is helpful because this provides you with a college-level job/responsibility

Conslimitied opportunities at field sales offices

Worked for Skyward? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skyward reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Skyward CEO Cliff King. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Skyward employees.