Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com

Slalom Consulting Reviews

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed(in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is(in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category(in 15 reviews)

Think twice

Client Solution Partner (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood reputation. Some smart folks with lots of experience.

ConsNot sure how on earth they got their good reputation! Poor management at a the consulting level. This firm is really a staff aug firm that diguises themselves as a solutions firm. Very disappointing experience if you are a seasoned consultant. Very territorial behavior by all and very cliquy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to folks during the interview process. Be clear of job role, type of work and the fact that you will to keep yourself billable.

Excellent consulting firm alternative to the big four

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture and the events set this company apart from the rest. The talent level at this company is very high and I hope it stays that way with all the growth.

ConsLess PTO then other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and maintain high talent levels with hires but otherwise doing a great job.

Brilliant place to work! Best career decision I ever made

Client Service Lead (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNon-competitive culture, great leadership, and fun fun fun.

ConsMove towards staffing more project work

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more within

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
     - Flexible Career Model
     - Great Social Events
     - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
     - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

ConsInternally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
     - PTO is Average
     - 401k Match is Average
     - Training Budgets are Average

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
     - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
     - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
     - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

Bait & Switch Model - Read "Staff Aug Firm, Recruiting as Consulting/Advisory"

Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMost people are nice, and there's a general feeling of camaraderie. Company's big into social gatherings and celebrating. Known for its Technology arm and if you are in to then you may be able to work on some pretty slick work i.e. mobile & portals/collaboration.

ConsIncumbents be aware! The awards are all manipulated and do not reflect reality. The interview process is just for the sake of building a resource pipeline. They will not hire ahead of revenues, so you'll be kept in a perpetual holding pattern until something strikes unless there's a big need and almost anyone can get hired, which is why the culture is eroding and morale issues are cropping up all over. These past 2-3 mos have seen a high amount of attrition as smart people have caught the scent of deceit.

The comp model is very convoluted and sub par in comparison to other professional services firms as are the benefits. PTO is unbelievably absurd and no sick days. General benefits are sub par and 401K is only applicable after 6 mos of service. Performance incentives, recruiting/business developement bonuses are all subjective with no real meaningful measures.

The recruiters will sell the so-called "no travel policy" until you are sick in the head, but conveniently forgets to mention that you'll be commuting all over metro ATL, averaging 40+ miles one way. Staff aug is the flavor of the season; no matter how hard leadership tries to sell "consulting" work, clients don't look at Slalom as an advisor, just simply as a staff shop. You'll be PM'ing until you are blue in the face, working 50 hours a week. Your Big 4/large consultancy skill set will rust as you'll never get to use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop the subjective based, frat-boy mentality management styles! Put some structure in place, carve-out an operating direction i.e. augmentation vs consulting and stick to it. Be open from the beginning, none of this bait & switch tactics. People are leaving after being hired <6 mos into the jobs as a result of this deceitful practice. Fuel your anticipated growth areas within your service offerings. Local P&L reporting vs. national delivery is a self inflicting wound as nothing gets accomplished.

Body shop with little concern for quality overly focused on staffing any role with no internal career path

Consultant Lacky (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Flexibility
    - Some variety in the work
    - Network development

Cons- Lack of substance on being "consultant focused"
    - Managers are time approvers and focused on filling staffing opps, little more
    - Poor career path or advancement opportunities. The overly hyped "Career Development Framework" is poorly supported and barely used
    - Installed base of leadership are a clique
    - Work/life balance is a joke
    - Totally reliant on a small group of big clients - be prepared for "wash, rinse, repeat" from engagement to engagement
    - PTO is poor - leaders are always "looking at it" and never doing anything about it
    - No tolerance for differing points of view or those who don't drink the leadership kool aid - assimilate or leave
    - Shark tank attitude between incompetent sales team and customer account mgrs to land any role and get a warm body on it
    - They market the life out of the "best place to work" surveys that aren't really credible
    - Absence of "straight talk" internally, typical Seattle "fake nice"
    - Obsession with national growth and driving revenue for the owner with little opportunity for others to share in the success or maturing Slalom's practices
    - Slalom's spin on non-profit "contributions" are limited to employees doing things on their own time with no real investment from Slalom

Advice to Senior ManagementSlalom needs to stop pretending it's something that it's not. Management needs to back-up their words with tangible actions.

Very positive and easy experience

Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe placers at slalom, xversity, or 2 degrees are excellent at what they do. They are very informative and make the experince very enjoyable.

ConsThe only con that i could think of is for people with less experience just entering into the work force could use some better options.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they could create another division for people that are just getting out of college looking for jobs.

Good for experienced hires to do some local work and build connections

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSlalom's business model is to have local consultants for local clients, which means no travel. It is good for those who have a family and want to see them every evening. Slalom pays competitively.

ConsManagement is very Accenturic! A little arrogance in senior management. Senior management analyzes everything too much and it makes some employees uncomfortable.

Good Transition out of Big 4 Consulting

Management Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEnergetic and fun community
    Caring and smart management team
    Entrepreneurial and thinks outside the box
    Selective and strong recruiting process

ConsAt the end of the day it's staff augmentation firm since the company is not large enough to support too much upward mobility. This may be fine, since many people just want to consult without the "up or out" model of typical Big 4's.

Great company culture, still working on how not to be a small company and provide opportunities for growth.

Management Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople, culture, local work, type of work, internal initiatives

ConsBenefits, growth opportunities, PTO, lack of support for training

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your people better by including profit sharing, more PTO and more opportunities for growth and movement.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!