Slalom Consulting
www.slalom.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Slalom Consulting Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance: It's very rare to work more than 40-45 hrs per week"
    in 51 reviews
  • "Great culture and management listens to employees"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work not Challenging: For better or for worse, most of the work is staff augmentation"
    in 14 reviews
  • "A bit Staff Aug sometimes but there are other ways/contributions that keep you stimulated"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A growing company with great potential

Portland, OR

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros- Fantastic, experienced, smart people to work with (no junior consultants!)
- Lots of opportunities to help grow the business - both internally and externally (sales)
- Super friendly culture with lots of social events
- Low key, laid-back attitude balanced with high standards of delivery
- Great facilities for such a small company
- Highly flexible work environment - you can really live the consulting lifestyle here!
- No travel unless you want to
- Great salary and vacation
- Very hands-off management, because they only hire senior consultants they trust you to do your job, manage your client, and work with your team

Cons- Small market limits type of work and clients, which means sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!
- No junior consultants means you have to do all the dirty work too :)
- Benefits package is mediocre at best, I'm paying a lot more out of pocket
- Flexibility comes with risk - if you're on the bench you only get paid 50% of your salary
- Because it is a growing, small company - bad infrastructure (slow network, no knowledge management, very little process in place)
- Just starting to define career paths - very little career management in place so you really have to find your own way

Advice to Senior Management- A more robust process around the biz dev pipeline that leverages people who want to help could result in a more stable pipeline and improved account management
- Need some more focus on building expert communities and intellectual capital that can be shared across the nation

Very positive and easy experience

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsThe placers at slalom, xversity, or 2 degrees are excellent at what they do. They are very informative and make the experince very enjoyable.

ConsThe only con that i could think of is for people with less experience just entering into the work force could use some better options.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they could create another division for people that are just getting out of college looking for jobs.

Good Transition out of Big 4 Consulting

Management Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Slalom Consulting

ProsEnergetic and fun community
Caring and smart management team
Entrepreneurial and thinks outside the box
Selective and strong recruiting process

ConsAt the end of the day it's staff augmentation firm since the company is not large enough to support too much upward mobility. This may be fine, since many people just want to consult without the "up or out" model of typical Big 4's.

Great company culture, still working on how not to be a small company and provide opportunities for growth.

Management Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsPeople, culture, local work, type of work, internal initiatives

ConsBenefits, growth opportunities, PTO, lack of support for training

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your people better by including profit sharing, more PTO and more opportunities for growth and movement.

Culture and environment are very startup-ish

Management Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people
Not following the traditional "up or out" model
Supportive management - they all know your names
Enthusiastic people
Fast paste & growth

ConsOverall benefit package
No 401K match
Very little number of PTO days & Holidays (subpar to companies in the industry)
No equity until after 3-4 years of service

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better benefits especially in the 401K match and PTO days.

Proud to be a Developer at Slalom

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsI can only speak for the project based work at Slalom since I have not been staff aug.
- Very interesting work. The clients are top tier companies who put their trust in Slalom because of the intelligence that bubbles out of every consultant at Slalom.
- Learning from the best. There is so much to learn here. The employees at Slalom are on top of and mastering new technologies as they come out. Plus there is the thought that the best technology is the technology we are going to use on a project, not just what we're used to.
- Good pay
- Flat structure allows for input from everyone. Sometimes the new guys have the best ideas.
- For people who complain about a lack of career development... Managers are always receptive when it comes to a career or training talk. I see the lack of structure here as a benefit Slalom has. If you're a truely good technologist, you'll be recognized and you'll be rewarded.

Cons- Eh, PTO? But I think they're doing something about that.
- The soda, food, and beer in the office is great, but how about a single cup coffee maker?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Please don't strive to make this more like the 'big guys'.. The intelligent people are here because we don't want to deal with the bureaucratic bull of said firms. Grow smart... And give us more PTO.

Great Place To Work

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsGreat people, Great Opportunities, Great Benefits, A genuine interest and care in employees and culture, honesty when dealing with employees or clients, and great clients.

ConsSome growing pains, Management heirachy is confusing, needs more consistent processes, needs more collaboration with other offices in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome work. Your dedication to people and culture is refreshing and appreciated. We'll all work together to make this the best place to work.

Best team I have ever worked, leadership that cares about me, awesome clients, and great projects!

Business Consultant (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsIncredible Team that works and wins together
Engaged Leadership that cares
Awesome Clients who value our work
Projects focuses on our client's most strategic initiatives
Focused go to market strategy - EPIC
Efforts to gauge and increase Employee Engagement
Well communicated growth strategy
Awesome knowledge sharing

ConsAutonomy to pursue your interests can be challenging
Self directed career development requires extra focus

Great People, Providing Real Value in a local market!

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

ProsAlthough I have only been at Slalom a short time, I have found the strongest pros for working there to be the following:
1. THE PEOPLE - Our culture is unlike any other consulting firm. Though most individuals come from other consulting firms, we are the best of the best and our personalities and culture are defined by this! We strive to constantly improve ourselves and our firm.
2. LOCAL MARKET - Our ability to provide value locally is key, especially for individuals who like a balanced life and want to still continue to do great work!
3. FLAT ORG STRUCTURE - Our organization structure is fairly flat so ability to have an impact internally is easily accessible.
4. GREAT PAY! - always a bonus to be rewarded for great work!

ConsAs it is still a growing organization, more framework around career development is currently in progress to help consultants have a model for career development. This is one area which Slalom currently is struggling with - as many organizations have more framework developed, I can see Slalom getting there in the near term.

The benefits could also be a bit better.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedefine our career development framework to be more structured and review our benefits. Though are pay is great, the 401k matching and medical plans can be better.

Good, Flexible, Friendly

Seattle, WA

Prosflexibility
variety of assignments
friendly peers and management

Conslack of clarity of processes for staffing, promotions
requires a lot of networking, but not unusual

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Slalom Consulting Videos

Slalom Consulting – Why Work for Us?

What makes us unique? Slalom Consulting brings business and technology expertise together to help companies drive enterprise performance, accelerate innovation, enhance the customer experience, and increase employee… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Slalom Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Slalom Consulting employees.