Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com

Slalom Consulting Reviews

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed(in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is(in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category(in 15 reviews)

Brilliant place to work! Best career decision I ever made

Client Service Lead (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNon-competitive culture, great leadership, and fun fun fun.

ConsMove towards staffing more project work

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more within

Excellent consulting firm alternative to the big four

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture and the events set this company apart from the rest. The talent level at this company is very high and I hope it stays that way with all the growth.

ConsLess PTO then other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and maintain high talent levels with hires but otherwise doing a great job.

Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
     - Flexible Career Model
     - Great Social Events
     - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
     - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

ConsInternally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
     - PTO is Average
     - 401k Match is Average
     - Training Budgets are Average

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
     - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
     - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
     - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee friendly company focused on the customer and creative delivery

Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLocal model, focused delivery, management support, great social atmosphere, like minded people to work with.

ConsExcessive overhead management compensation takes from employee benefits and salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow consultants to incur more expenses, including client lunches, trips, get together and the like. reward employees more, especially with intrinsic cultural rewards and small cash "thank you" hand outs as these are easier for our personality types to handle over sincere appreciation which is not possible from our kind of folks. Once the company makes a certain percentage over the employee's compensation, reward the excessive bill rate with excessive bonus beyond the stated HR policy.

It is a much better place than competing technology consulting firms!

Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMy coworkers are competent, well spoken and simply "get it". Not only do you not have to clean up other peoples messes on projects, you get to choose which projects and opportunities you personally want to pursue.

ConsIt's just as much driving as other firms, but that's no surprise given our location in Southern California.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing our company and our presence locally!

A consulting firm that has finally got it right

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSlalom has awesome people. Their are not only great consultants, but they are all people I would genuinely consider friends outside of the workplace. Local work is a huge plus and allows everyone an opportunity to have a life after work. The flat structure also makes the Sr. Leadership very accessible - very different from the Big 4.

ConsWe're small and we can't offer every technology under the sun like larger firms. So if you're an SAP guru, you might not have the opportunity to work on an SAP project every time. That said, the consultants are usually strong enough to tackle whatever is thrown at them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Every office is growing. We're opening offices in new cities and expanding our offerings in existing offices. Great time to be a consultant at Slalom.

Keeps you challenged everyday, felt supported and recognized for great work ... Inspired to go to work everyday ...

Technology Solutions (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWorking with talented people, hourly compensation which provides ability to earn more when possible, personal touch of management

ConsLong drives which can also be used for listening to audios, etc ... you just need to be creative

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! And please don't lose the personal touch to the team / employees and in your management style

Great Company, hard working colleagues, and having fun.

Management Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

PTO should be examined
    Onboarding is weak

Slalom Lives Up to the Press

Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork/Life balance is not just talk with the company. They follow through and make good on that commitment.
    Benefits are good quality and reasonably priced. YOY increase in prices are minimal compared to others I am aware of.
    Management/executives are approachable, open to feedback and empowering to consultants.

ConsThere is no Eastside office in the Seattle area so anytime that an office visit is required means crossing the water and finding parking.
    Really... that's it so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. In a time when many companies are contracting, Slalom is growing and passing the benefits of growth on to the consultants.
    Continue with the attitude of servant leadership - demonstrated at the fall getaway when management and executives took on the roles of waiters and chefs to serve the employees all weekend.
    Keep having fun. Don't let the complaints about frat house mentality make you dull.

Extremely rewarding organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are simply amazing -- intelligent, dedicated, supportive, collaborative, client focused, etc. Everyday seems to bring new professional challenges, personal development and exciting delivery. Slalom Consulting is the real deal, and poised for continued growth and success. I've had the pleasure of working at Slalom for several years now and have every intention to continue for several more.

ConsCommunications and updates from our national/corporate teams could improve. What's new? What's in the pipeline that impacts employees. How are we enhancing business operations to better the organization? We regularly hear about exciting client delivery and overall business health, but not enough about our business internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing right by our clients and employees. Continue driving innovation and delivery across markets, solutions and internally. Continue investing in people and technology.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!