Slalom Consulting

Updated November 19, 2014
4.4

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Unleash your potential

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a career consultant this is the first company I've worked at where I can see, feel, and know that everything I do (i) impacts my clients, (ii) impacts my company & practice, and (iii) allows me to truly own my career.

Cons

There is a healthy tension that exists between "local market direction" and "national structure/strategy". This can result in different markets pursuing the achievement of larger strategy in different ways. For people who want a highly structured environment - this creates a bit of uncertainty.

Keep focused on the culture and everything else will work out.

Nov 21, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. You've identified some key aspects of the work and culture of Slalom and it's wonderful that you feel that you have a sense that you're making a ... More

Great Place!

Current Employee - Client Service Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, smart and fun people dedicated to help our clients.
    Great work-life balance.
    No unwanted travel.

Cons

Ambiguity, though if you're driven you can make this work great for your career.

Keep going, love the growth opportunities and continue to support leader development (in addition to the years of consultant development).

Nov 21, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review. It's good to hear that you are enjoying the work/life balance, your coworkers and the Slalom model. Your advice regarding continued leadership development will be ... More

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Slalom for the past 8 years and continue to believe that it is one of the best companies in the US to work for, and the #1 consulting company to work for. Over my time here I have experienced wonderful people, challenging opportunities, and great career growth. I have had the opportunity to work with a number of different clients in a delivery capacity, and as my career has progressed at Slalom I had the opportunity to add people management, business development, practice development, and operational support to my job activities. I would highly recommend anyone that is highly passionate and motivated and interested in consulting to look into this company.

Cons

One thing that I would caution folks is that Slalom is a work hard and play hard type of company. It is fast paced, and brimming with entreprenurial-spirited individuals. I know that sometimes this type of culture isn't for everyone.

Nov 20, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great to hear that, over the years, your evolving roles with Slalom have continued to be fulfilling and challenging. If you have any other ... More

slalom

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work life balance, minimal travel, sabbatical, culture

Cons

PTO is mininal, holidays are minimal, 401k is short of a joke

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Care for the client and care for the consultant are constantly being balanced in a way that no one feels 2nd place.

Cons

Benefits are consistent with smaller firms, which can be a difficult transition from Big 4 type PTO, healthcare, 401k, healthcare, etc.

Keep up the great work!

No better place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

SMART people, great culture, fun, high level of corporate integrity, good hearted - good natured group of folks passionate about working hard, solving client problems and have work/life balance

Cons

career path is not totally clear. you have to be happy 'living in the moment' to work here.

it's great to have so many opportunity to get involved outside of work - sometimes there are too many options - it's overwhelming and I feel pressured to attend events.

Authenticity Leads the Way

Current Employee - Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is about the people and coming through for clients. We still have much to figure out as we expand nationally and internationally, but the hearts and minds are in the right place. Glad I'm part of the journey.

Cons

Things move quickly and can see where communications may not keep pace, but still believe intentions are in the right place.

Stay focused on the long term and people growth. Good things will happen.

Flexible, local company with high-caliber team

Current Employee - Consultant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Slalom Consulting part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that I work with are all experienced, smart and motivated. They are a consulting company, but do not require travel as my prior employers have. The focus is on the communities in which we live. Flexible work schedules are available to employees who are interested in less than 40 hours of employment, which is key to my demographic. It is a diverse and inclusive environment.

Cons

PTO time offered is less than with other employers, but I find that in my situation the flexible work arrangement compensates for this.

Don't lose sight of our culture and values as the company expands at this rapid pace.

Believe the hype

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Slalom Consulting's explosive growth is a testament to what is truly a new consulting model for firms of this scale and scope.

Slalom has positioned itself as consulting the way that consultants and clients want it to be. There's a lot of truth to that. The corporate structure (no partners, no public shareholders) allows business advisory and technology consulting solutions at a price point that competes favorably with Accenture, Deloitte, etc. while simultaneously putting experienced consultants on the ground 5 days a week (not 3.5) to deliver value to clients. As all Slalom consultants are experienced, Slalom doesn't train its people on the client's dime. That's good for everybody.

Cons

As ~85% of Slalom employees are titled as "Consultant", there is no standard path upwards. This is good and bad. It's good for the career consultant that just like doing good client delivery; they're never asked to move up or out. It's bad for those who want a clear path to leadership.

Keep the focus of consulting on delivering BUSINESS value. If that requires technology, fine, but that's a secondary consideration.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, people, work, work-life balance, career growth, opportunity.

Cons

Benefits could be a little better...but the company has been actively improving.

Nov 14, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you leaving a review. Good to hear that the culture, work people and opportunities are positives for you! And yes, we are working on benefits. I'll be sure to add your voice to the feedback to ... More