Slalom Consulting Reviews

Reset
4.2
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • When they say work life balance - they mean it (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• career path is not totally clear (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Amazing Company!!!

Current Employee - Internal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Internal in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Probably the most generous company I've ever worked for. This is one of the great perks of working for a company that is privately held and truly cares about it's people. The company culture is fantastic, there are honestly so many people here that I would be friends with outside of work, so the people are amazing. There are always team building events happening which brings the group together (even more important in a consulting firm where everyone is typically spread out at clients).

Cons

There are a few who have been promoted into leadership (CSL, BDE) that have you scratching your head as to why they were put in those positions to begin with. But the other senior leaders are pretty much great people both in LA and OC.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow but be careful that the people you are promoting into sales oriented leadership roles will actually SELL something. I think a little accountability would be great in this area.

Jun 30, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great to hear that both your colleagues and the general company culture are resonating with you. Your feedback regarding increasing sales ... More

Best company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

1. Fluid responsibility and room to grow your skillset, network, and career. 2. Collegiate atmosphere, very collaborative and supportive 3. Generous compensation and perks - 401k and insurance packages are pretty good. 4/5 stars. Company retreats and celebrations included. 4. Very innovative, wins awards for app and web design and development 5. No travel!! 6. Mgmt values your time. It's a family-oriented culture.

Cons

1. Hard to feel connected to everyone since there are no mandatory days at the office (not that I'm that upset over it) 2. Lack of structured approach to career- some may dislike the ambiguity. 3. Sales success varies widely be region.

3. Great people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Good pay Interesting projects Great people

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

Fantastic Consulting firm to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

-Slalom is a company that truly cares about its employees well-being and input. All of our company strategies and the initiatives that come from it are all based off of employee feedback and ideas. -I truly feel a sense of work-life balance here that everyone respects. -The culture is truly something special- extremely smart, talented and humble people who make coming to work very enjoyable. Many opportunities to get involved outside of typical project work- both from professional and social standpoints. The emphasis on the employee and retaining our culture is felt at all levels of leadership-including our CEO.

Cons

The 401k plan and match is not great. I don't have a problem with the benefits or PTO- but suppose an extra week would be nice since there is no distinction between sick/personal days. The HR team did a roadshow and took everyone's extremely candid feedback, and have sent out many communications that this is something being worked on, which I am confident will eventually be improved.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow and scale, we must also protect the unique culture we are building here and keep it top of mind. Also implementing processes to make sure as growth continues, people don't fall through the cracks and become dissatisfied with life at Slalom.

Jul 28, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you for posting a review. Your measured candor is much appreciated. And, as you point out, leadership and HR have heard the general feedback regarding the benefits and are working on improving ... More

Left big 4 for Slalom

Current Employee - Client Service Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best decision I've made in my consulting career. Work where you live model is a game changer lifestyle wise. NYC office has amazing senior leadership. Majority of office is ex-big 4 so transition to culture was ready.

Cons

No paternity leave and only 15 PTO days is not very competitive with the market. Slalom promotes the focus on work life balance so should address this.

Jul 28, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you for providing a review. It is wonderful that your transition from a Big 4 consulting firm to Slalom has worked out so well for you. Also, it's awesome that you are experiencing amazing ... More

An excellent place to work if you enjoy working with energetic and smart people.

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture focused on people Work life balance is good Excellent leadership that cares about making Slalom a great place to work Good benefits

Cons

401k matching is not great Needs a better management development training program

Jul 21, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback. It sounds like your colleagues and the culture of Slalom are both working well for you. Also good to hear that you are pleased with the work life ... More

8. Great Company Needing To Find It's Way

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Understands the value of work/life balance

Cons

Has lost it's way in the market

Great for consultants, no travel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I've been with the company 4.5 years and they've grown tremendously. There are plenty of opportunities to advance your career on either a practice area path or with the sales (account team) path. Compensation is more than fair and I'm pleased with how I'm rewarded based on performance for yearly bonus and raises. There is still flexibility and little red tape to try new things, expand your skills and get staffed in a areas that will "stretch" your skillset to grow quickly. Great support for training either internal or external, you just need to make the business case.

Cons

In Atlanta office, there is still a significant percentage of work that is sold as an individual contributor role. This isn't much different from being a contractor and unfortunately some clients view it that way as well. All it takes is a very difficult client in a long-term role to impact a person's morale. Paid vacation has been improved, but it's still nowhere near the big 4. Maternity leave is short term disability and after 1-2 month return, you receive the balance to make you whole for a total of 8 weeks leave. Decent, but we can and should do better for our working moms.

Advice to Management

Formalize career paths so consultants are clear on the timeline and expectations for promotion. Improve maternity leave and vacation policies.

Jul 16, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It's wonderful to hear that as the company has grown, some of the aspects you've identified as being big positives have maintained their integrity. I ... More

Great Work/Life Balance

I have been working at Slalom Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with very smart people, good products, and great work/life balance

Cons

Sometimes, you will have to work on projects solo and not with a team

Jul 16, 2015 – Communications Manager

Thank you for providing some feedback! It sounds like your colleagues, the Slalom culture and the projects we deliver are all things that are working for you. Awesome. And you're right, sometimes ... More

Lost their way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers Still manages to land some decent projects

Cons

Local management is aloof and disconnected from the field consultants. Very cliquish and political. As Slalom grew, they could not adapt and reverted to their Accenture ways. It is a shame, it used to be a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Go back to being a 90 person office so you can get back in touch

Jul 21, 2015 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your review. I plan on sharing it with our Denver office leadership team. If there are more specifics you care to share, I would like to hear about those ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed