Slalom Consulting

Updated August 5, 2014

4.2

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Kept the best parts of consulting and dropped the worst (i.e. travel!)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- No travel! Unless you're on the national team, 100% local. You can sleep in your own bed every night and actually have a life!
    - Hardworking, passionate workforce who is dedicated to high quality work, but everyone really values their personal lives (you can work in consulting and still have a family and hobbies!). This is driven from the top and expectations are set up front with clients to keep way more reasonable hours than the big firms
    - Feels like you can truly "be yourself" - company cares about you as a person; diverse group of people but all with really solid experience (many Big 4)
    - Collaborative/helpful workforce - very flat structure and no up or out model
    - Proactive in continuous improvement - still young enough, you can play a part in shaping things, but every week you get asked to provide input or some new initiative is launching which demonstrates the maturity and strong investments being made (founds are still around and truly care)

Cons

- Must be very self-driven and able to work autonomously without a ton of direction - it's "consulting for grown ups", but this is not for everyone
    - Heavy focus on technology projects (though not ERP implementations) - need to sell our ability to do even more larger transformation projects than we're already doing

Continue to go after more strategic, transformational projects to attract the best business advisory talent and keep employees engaged

Slalom is a remarkable pool of talented people I enjoy working with every day.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Slalom does not really do a lot of staff-aug work. Every project I have been on has been a very high value, cutting edge project with a very cool client. I am never bored at work and generally enjoy the staffing. Slalom is also no travel.

Cons

The benefits are not that great at all. The healthcare packages are expensive for what they are. There is little paid time off, for instance, after 24 mo., you get 144 hours, but before that you only get two weeks. It should also be mentioned that PTO and sick days are combined in the same hours set. The 401(k) is also weak in match with a bunch of requirements attached to it. There is also a big imbalance between the technology services and the business consulting groups when it comes to work-life balance. The IT projects are usually over 40 hour weeks and recruiting can never seem to hire people fast enough to match growth.

Slalom needs to review the benefits and become a sought after leader in getting this right. If Slalom's leadership places as much value as they say in their people and culture, they should shift the company to be the model to go after for employee quality of life.

Great company

Pros

Great atmosphere, competitive pay, good clients

Cons

Benefits are not the best, corporate structure is muddy, it can be a bit of good ol boys club

Jul 21, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - I wanted to let you know that I saw your comments and I am sharing your feedback with others in leadership roles. It is important to me (and all of us) that our employees are ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company

Current Employee - Solution Principal  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Principal in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great growth
    People are awesome, one big happy family

Cons

no clarity on promotion
    not much pto

Make promotion process more transparent
    More PTO
    More sexy work/projects

Jul 21, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - I appreciate your positive feedback and will make sure the rest of the leadership team (and your team in Chicago) hears your comments. If there’s anything else you’d like to ... More

Consultant

Pros

Opportunities for growth
    Good Pay
    Smart and young folks

Cons

Internal systems
    Paid time off policy

Completely Agree with “Weak & Insecure Leadership Team” posting on 4/29/14 -- Couldn't have said it better myself

Former Employee - Management Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Only pros are that if you can get on the right project and stay away from the office, you can work locally and take a break from high pressure work. Good for a temporary reprieve from real work with real people and real clients.

Cons

When I read the current employee's review posted on 4/29/14, I felt as if I could have been the one who wrote that. The Denver team is completely full of themselves and do not have the skills to back it up. It's like a social country club of wanna-be's and I was so disappointed in my time there.

Please investigate the Denver office. The management team is not capable. They like the titles, but are not able to do the work. I experienced work sessions with people from other offices and was envious that I wasn't part of those. Denver is subpar and was a true disappointment.

Aug 8, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin –I've read your comments and I am sharing your feedback with the leadership team. Even though you are no longer a Slalom employee, I’d like to be able to address some of your ... More

Still a great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Company leaders still take feedback and want to make it right for consultants.

Cons

Salary is stuNted; you'll come in competitive then it's a dollar here or ther for raises and occasionally a big bonus.

Keep working on competitive salaries. Other consulting companies offer a heck of a lot more.

Company in rapid growth mode with opportunities aplenty for those who want to take control of their careers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There is so much really cool stuff happening at Slalom right now. They continue to expand their reach around the US with new market launches at around two per year and are even gearing up for moving international with the launch of London. It's not just geographic expansion, but capabilities as well. Over the past two years alone, Slalom has launched a Customer Engagement practice and a Digital practice. All that aside, the culture of ambitious, smart, fun-loving and active people is one of the most authentic and uplifting environments I have ever worked in.

Cons

Rapid growth and constant change is exciting, but can also create some uncertainty for people that don't easily see the big picture.

Continue to foster - no, refocus your efforts on creating a culture of inclusion and connection with all people. Even though everyone is busy, there's always time to meet a new person and make sure everyone feels connected with Slalom.

CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW AMAZING THIS PLACE IS

Former Employee - Management Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- They only hire the best, everyone you work with will challenge you and be a team player
    - Excellent leadership, leaders are authentic, decisive, and know how to balance business needs while still developing and challenging their employees
    - When they say work life balance - they mean it. High competitive salaries, yet you work the schedule you need to work to get client work done.
    - Very unique culture. innovation is key.... rarely hear someone say no... but rather, let's try it!

Cons

- Like other consulting firms, you can find yourself in a role that can feel staff aug - but as long as you articulate yourself to management... they will move you out of the role.
    - Can be hard to move up in the company, sometimes career paths are unclear because of unique structure

Great company and interesting work.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Top clients and great projects. The work life balance is fantastic for consultants and there is lots of individual opportunity good those who want to go the extra mile.

Cons

Long stints at projects can lead to a disconnected feeling from the office. Three are lots of social events designed to connect everyone however.

Growth is huge right now. Don't lose the small company agility that often goes with growth.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!