Slalom Consulting

Updated February 27, 2015
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

The best consulting company, but not perfect

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

I've worked for other consulting companies, and Slalom is leaps and bounds better. Leadership truly cares about the happiness of consultants. There are multiple different career paths a consultant can choose, work/life balance is amazing, consultants can choose to take on more responsibilities at their office, or just do their client work and go home.

Cons

Slalom 100% keeps the promise of work/life balance that they make to their consultants. However, consultants see that once their peers are promoted to jobs with additional responsibilities, the promise of work left balance is broken. The mandatory billable hour requirements of leadership roles do not come even close to making up for the additional responsibilities, so people in leadership work many more hours than consultants. This is created a problem in which many consultants do not want to be promoted.

Reduce the billable hour goals of leadership roles

Feb 11, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's good that the career paths available to you and the work/life balance are positives for you. I will ensure that leadership hears your ... More

Good company for consultants that don't want to travel

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Senior (Seattle/National) leadership cares about creating a great company. As a billable consultant, you will most likely be assigned a local client. Salaries are competitive+. Smart people who focus on delighting the client will thrive. You will be allowed work-life balance provided you don't want to grow into leadership. There is currently a big emphasis on empowering and promoting women in a male-dominated industry. The senior leadership is approachable and inclusive. There are a lot of really great, caring people at Slalom, and some very smart ones too. Financially, the company is stable and is big enough to weather ups and downs - if you are competent, you will have job security. The company spends a lot of money promoting culture and their brand as a good place to work.

Cons

Slalom prioritizes hiring from big consultancies, in particular Accenture and Deloitte. Two effects of this are that they frequently hire for that culture fit vs. competence; and there are a lot of fair-to-middling Big-X consultants that get managed out of those firms that land at Slalom. A lot of the work is staff augmentation, non-strategic. Getting people billable takes precedent over meaningful work. Senior leadership is overwhelmingly from Accenture/Deloitte/EY etc., so if you are not from one of those firms you will most likely cap out if you want a career vs. a job. Slalom preaches diversity and inclusion from a background perspective, but currently their diversity initiatives are "for Women." Most Slalom leaders expect you to buy into the Slalom Kool-Aid, so if you are looking for cool work but not a religious experience, your career path will be hindered. Over the last 24 months, it felt like priority had shifted away from being the best consulting firm in the world to a quest to expand internationally and hit $1B in revenue, and if things have to be sacrificed to get there, so be it.

Oh - and benefits are far below industry average. 7 holidays, and 2 weeks leave which is inclusive of sick, vacation, whatever you need it for. Recruiting will dazzle you with alternative models and funny math. It often feels like you are working for a cheap accountant (for example, new consultants often get recycled laptops that are years into their depreciation cycle).

In summary - if you are an ex-Big X consultant that doesn't want to travel, it's a great place. If you are from a niche tech firm, industry, etc., you will most likely find it very hard to advance beyond jr. leadership.

Re-commit to the values that made Slalom a great company in the beginning, and balance the quest for $1B in revenue with staying true to your values - that veil is translucent and the consulting staff sees through it. If a Big-X background is critical to obtaining senior leadership positions, develop a learning program to teach those skills. Diversity shouldn't be "for women only."

Feb 18, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your thoughtful review. I appreciate the feedback especially about how going Global and being a $1B company seem to be more of the important driving forces at Slalom ... More

Best decision I ever made

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work-life is an obvious one, but you have the ability to choose your track and run with it. Never seen such empowerment at a Consulting firm.

Cons

Benefits (401k matching, PTO mainly) need work.

Keep it up!

Best Company for Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work Life Balance, Creative, Challenging Projects

Cons

Nothing at this point of time.

Great group, great people

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Very experienced group of consultants, honest unselfish leadership. You will get to work with people who have been around the block and very few new college grads.

Cons

Time off per year is a little short.
    There seems to be little coordination between the different functional groups and not much clarity around project pipeline, but this is minor and only matters when someone is between projects.

Awesome company with a great culture

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. You work with amazing people who are all here for the same reason. Leaders from the top down truly go out of their way to make sure it's a great place to be. Work/life balance is great!

Cons

Salaries seem a little lower for the type of work.

Keep doing your thing!

Great people, poor benefits

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The people; HR/Recruiting does a great job finding and hiring amazing people
    - Leadership is great and accessible
    - Strong team atmosphere
    - Lots of collaboration between markets; other consultants are eager to assist and/or answer questions
    - Sabbatical after 6,000 billed hours (75% of pay for 4 weeks; This should be changed to 100% or 100% for 3 weeks; who wants to take a 25% pay cut for a month?)

Cons

- Benefits need a lot of improvement; 401k match is atrocious (25% of 6%, potential of 1.5% of salary, only eligible after 1 yr); no paternity leave and only 8 weeks for maternity ; only 7 paid holidays; only 3 weeks PTO and doesn't increase much with tenure; dental insurance is a bad value
    - Policies can feel punitive (bonus only applied to portion of salary, development expenses have to be repaid if you leave within 6 months, sabbatical pay and benefits repaid if you leave within 3 months, must return for a month before being paid for maternity leave)
    - Lot of work is individual in nature, so can be lonely being the only one at a client
    - No reimbursement for mileage/parking at client; also, depending on the client, commute can be very long
    - Career growth/promotion process and requirements are unclear

- Continue to focus on culture and team atmosphere
    - Revisit benefits; specifically the 401k and PTO

Feb 18, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your insights. We are revisiting our benefits currently and your feedback helps with that. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever wanted to talk more ... More

positive

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Slalom has a great reputation around town and provides a wide array of practice areas from which customers can take advantage. Those practice areas are a great incubator for sharing ideas and experiences

Cons

The company is growing nationally and internationally but most consultants come here for the local aspect, which sometimes gets lost in all of the news about expansion/growth.

Great leadership, poor execution from team players

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. People come to work engaged. I see very few people complain about working or having awful projects.
    Upper management or leadership is very transparent in their communication.
    Decent perks (food, beer).
    Projects seem to be interesting and worthwhile
    Work-life balance is pretty good, from my short experience so far.

Cons

-Benefits. As everyone mentions, benefits are very lacking especially to other Seattle-area companies
    -If you're on a small team on a small practice, especially the National team in Seattle, it's difficult to meet others. -People on the National team can be cliquey and make it difficult for new-hires to be assimilated into the culture. Very few people seem to reach out and introduce themselves as an example
    -Flat organization. This can be a pro for some, but I view it as a con.
    -National Team operates completely separately from the Seattle team, on the internal side of things. I don't understand why or how the Seattle team has so much going on whereas the National Team is close to the exact opposite. Seattle team has organized events pretty often as well as a structured new-hire buddy program, but the National Team has few events and no similar program.
    -I can sense Slalom losing a grip on its culture as the company grows.

Make sure everyone is following through with your vision and thoughts. Your message goes as far as what the lower-level employees are doing and saying.
    And make the National Team's operations on the same level or as integrated as that of the Seattle team.

Feb 18, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for providing a review. It's good that the management, the projects, and the work/life balance are all 'pros' for you. Your thoughts regarding culture, support and assimilation on the ... More