Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com

Slalom Consulting Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed(in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is(in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category(in 15 reviews)

Best Place to Work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork/Life Balance
    Great Clients
    Great Co-Workers
    Great Culture!

ConsPersonal Development is more up to the individual to foster their own learning/career advancement.

Great company for self motivated employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat network of experienced and talented people
    Good work/life balance
    Great culture
    Great professional development support

ConsPTO is better than before, but still below average
    focus on growth and utilization means staff aug is still very common

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be pickier what contracts we take on. Utilization and growth get lots of attention but they aren't the only things that matter.

Great company for a self-starter

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat culture and management listens to employees. Some fantastic co-workers. Have to be a go-getter and self-starter. As they have a mix of Management Consultants and Technical Consultants there is a lot of variety in the projects they get called in for.

ConsStill a lot of staff augmentation type work. Benefits still on the leaner side. Improving though.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just focus on growth, but hiring the right people and focus on the long-term strategic vision to become a top-notch consulting company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for a transition off the road if you're technical and/or seeking PM/BA work

Pros- Smart, down-to-earth co-workers and a culture that fosters collaboration
    - Flat organizational structure with (mostly) approachable leadership
    - Local model minimizes or eliminates air travel, unless part of a national practice
    - Lots of latitude to grow your career in a way you see fit (as long as it fits within a practice)
    - Decent salary, especially for the size of the firm and the type of work
    - Very good technology consulting practices (especially Microsoft)

Cons- Expensive (but improving) benefits; slowly accruing PTO
    - Lack of strategic, challenging big-picture roles in favor of staff-aug and basic PM/BA assignments (as many others have alluded to)
    - Lack of an effective brand name (and good projects) in the management/business consulting arena
    - Increasingly high turnover is stripping many of the firm's most talented players
    - Growing trend towards hiring college grads/younger consultants keeps the culture fresh, but is infusing it with more politics and jockeying for recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying on ridiculously boring staff-aug gigs to meet utilization targets and start prioritizing work that will help build long-term trust and success at key clients. This will help keep A-players from leaving to work for competitors and/or the same clients who initially retained their services.

A lot going on

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAmbitious company growing at an incredible pace
    Great people excited to be here
    Strong focus on culture in hiring
    Still relatively new company so great opportunity for influence as to how things are done
    Ownership opportunities for those who have been with a company a long time

ConsCompany is growing so quickly that the "culture" is unsustainable
    Deference to culture fit precludes a lot of talented candidates who could advance the company in other ways
    A lot of reinventing the wheel

Advice to Senior ManagementBusy doesn't equal productive. It's better to focus on a couple key initiatives and execute them well, rather than take on 200% capacity and juggle a bunch of projects that don't get the attention they deserve. Prioritize and execute!

Poor project management but great employee management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe pay is competitive.
    Those without egos are great to work with (how's that for a passive aggressive compliment).
    The company does go by it's motto -- work hard, play hard.

ConsThey put you into difficult, stress-heavy, no-win situations.
    Those with egos (and there are more of them that not) are nearly impossible to work with.
    Watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time getting good project management and technical leads with good communication skills in place.
    Do a better job of getting customer's expectations in line BEFORE putting "boots on the ground".
    Spend more money on training than on parties or off-sites.

Good to get you off the road, difficult to continue with strategic work to grow your career

Business Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- No travel model
    - Good culture
    - Happy hours, quarterly meetings and annual get away
    - Strong IT/Technical practices
    - Sabbatical after three years (and 3,000 billable hours ...they fail to highlight this point)

ConsThe following mainly speak to the Business Consulting practice in the Dallas market
    - Staff Augmentation type work
    - Weak Business Consulting practice
    - Little to no strategy work in the Dallas office. Majority of the work is Project Management and Business Analysis.
    - Recent hires are coming in with zero consulting experience
    - No practice specialty in the Dallas market to grow or build around
    - Little transparency when requested (evaluations, bonuses, staffing, etc)
    - Very few opportunities for career advancement

Advice to Senior Management- Stop with the cheesy mantras and reorgs. It happens every year and it never seems to fix the underlying problems. Getting naked to rowing the boats to being great ...the longer you have been with the firm the more frustrating all of this gets.
    - Dallas leadership needs to learn how to play nice with one another. For a small firm, there are a lot of politics and personalities that do not mesh well. It IS apparent to the consultants and there are some questionable hires up top as well.

Time well spent with a good team of people who enjoy life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStrong corporate culture, desire to grow, quick to make decisions, limited bureaucracy, focus on individual goals.

ConsHard to break out of the staff-aug mindset

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going, you will get there.

Great company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people and a great company, the consultants get to work in their home town.

ConsGreat company, I think management does a great job,

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, keep it up.

Great projects and a company that cares about its people

Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompelling projects that allow you to showcase and grow your skills. A senior leadership team that makes time and effort to get to know consultants both personally and professionally. A culture that provides a fun environment and leads to people that enjoy spending time together in and out of the office.

ConsExperience has been almost entirely positive, however, at times, there could be more transparency in the staffing process.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building the management consulting practice areas so that they remain successful. Make sure we are able to keep our culture as we grow and expand.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!