Slalom Consulting Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
403 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.3
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues and the work as well as the unique culture we have here. Your feedback regarding steering clear of ... More

2. Great Company!!!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Slalom Consulting strives to better each and every one of their employees, not only for the growth of the company, but for the growth of each individual. While the employees here work hard to better Slalom, Slalom works hard to create better lives and opportunities for each employee. Slalom has an amazing culture, that really feels like a team.

Cons

I have no cons!

Keep up the great work, and never lose sight of who we are!

3. Love Your Future!

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Great culture, amazing talent, growing firm and great work life balance

Cons

Growing firms lacks the formal structure of a big 4 firm. While this is not necessarily a bad thing it may be a challenge for those from that background to adapt.

Safe and predictable

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The local model is very attractive and consultants do have quite a bit of "power" in deciding what they want to do. If you don't want to sell and/or simply want to focus on domain knowledge, skill development, and delivery, then it could be a good place for you.

Cons

In reality the model is no different from traditional "Big 4" consulting...the only way to get into leadership is to sell. At the end of the day, selling takes priority over all else including delivery. By not participating in selling, there is an eventual cap on compensation. The focus continues to shift to technology consulting (e.g. digital development, BI) and away from industry, process, etc., so that limits opportunities for "business consultants". Lastly, there is WAY YOO MUCH focus on "the culture"...feels like a cult!

Compensation continues to be a challenge. The model continues to put unrealistic pressure on margin, etc. which impacts consultant compensation. There are way too many "managing directors" and "client service partners" who do nothing. There are some good people and good leaders...they need to figure out a way to thin the herd at the top.

Mar 26, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your response. I have to admit that I love our culture. I talk about it and evangelize about it quite a bit mainly to make sure it sustains. I feel that if I ... More

6. Best Company for Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work Life Balance, Creative, Challenging Projects

Cons

Nothing at this point of time.

7. Best decision I ever made

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work-life is an obvious one, but you have the ability to choose your track and run with it. Never seen such empowerment at a Consulting firm.

Cons

Benefits (401k matching, PTO mainly) need work.

Keep it up!

Good company for consultants that don't want to travel

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Senior (Seattle/National) leadership cares about creating a great company. As a billable consultant, you will most likely be assigned a local client. Salaries are competitive+. Smart people who focus on delighting the client will thrive. You will be allowed work-life balance provided you don't want to grow into leadership. There is currently a big emphasis on empowering and promoting women in a male-dominated industry. The senior leadership is approachable and inclusive. There are a lot of really great, caring people at Slalom, and some very smart ones too. Financially, the company is stable and is big enough to weather ups and downs - if you are competent, you will have job security. The company spends a lot of money promoting culture and their brand as a good place to work.

Cons

Slalom prioritizes hiring from big consultancies, in particular Accenture and Deloitte. Two effects of this are that they frequently hire for that culture fit vs. competence; and there are a lot of fair-to-middling Big-X consultants that get managed out of those firms that land at Slalom. A lot of the work is staff augmentation, non-strategic. Getting people billable takes precedent over meaningful work. Senior leadership is overwhelmingly from Accenture/Deloitte/EY etc., so if you are not from one of those firms you will most likely cap out if you want a career vs. a job. Slalom preaches diversity and inclusion from a background perspective, but currently their diversity initiatives are "for Women." Most Slalom leaders expect you to buy into the Slalom Kool-Aid, so if you are looking for cool work but not a religious experience, your career path will be hindered. Over the last 24 months, it felt like priority had shifted away from being the best consulting firm in the world to a quest to expand internationally and hit $1B in revenue, and if things have to be sacrificed to get there, so be it.

Oh - and benefits are far below industry average. 7 holidays, and 2 weeks leave which is inclusive of sick, vacation, whatever you need it for. Recruiting will dazzle you with alternative models and funny math. It often feels like you are working for a cheap accountant (for example, new consultants often get recycled laptops that are years into their depreciation cycle).

In summary - if you are an ex-Big X consultant that doesn't want to travel, it's a great place. If you are from a niche tech firm, industry, etc., you will most likely find it very hard to advance beyond jr. leadership.

Re-commit to the values that made Slalom a great company in the beginning, and balance the quest for $1B in revenue with staying true to your values - that veil is translucent and the consulting staff sees through it. If a Big-X background is critical to obtaining senior leadership positions, develop a learning program to teach those skills. Diversity shouldn't be "for women only."

Feb 18, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your thoughtful review. I appreciate the feedback especially about how going Global and being a $1B company seem to be more of the important driving forces at Slalom ... More

9. Awesome company with a great culture

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. You work with amazing people who are all here for the same reason. Leaders from the top down truly go out of their way to make sure it's a great place to be. Work/life balance is great!

Cons

Salaries seem a little lower for the type of work.

Keep doing your thing!

10. Great place to work, lots of change and new technologies. The working environment is fun, with lots of team building

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Proactive in contributing to personal career development. This means that they let you choose your own career path and provide the infrastructure and support to get you to your goal.

Cons

The pay is less than other positions offer that are in the same field with experience. This is often offset by the great work environment in the Seattle office, with considerable attention given to building culture.

Work more directly with expanding teams, but on an individual level. This means that with the current growth rate, the attention needs to be broken down a bit more to drawing out the consultant and providing them with a good place for feedback.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you providing some feedback. It's good to hear that you're benefiting from the career development opportunities and self-directed-path model of Slalom. I will ensure that leadership hears your ... More

Great group, great people

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Very experienced group of consultants, honest unselfish leadership. You will get to work with people who have been around the block and very few new college grads.

Cons

Time off per year is a little short.
    There seems to be little coordination between the different functional groups and not much clarity around project pipeline, but this is minor and only matters when someone is between projects.