Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com

Slalom Consulting Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
Updated March 1, 2015
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Best Company for Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work Life Balance, Creative, Challenging Projects

Cons

Nothing at this point of time.

Best decision I ever made

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work-life is an obvious one, but you have the ability to choose your track and run with it. Never seen such empowerment at a Consulting firm.

Cons

Benefits (401k matching, PTO mainly) need work.

Keep it up!

Good company for consultants that don't want to travel

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Senior (Seattle/National) leadership cares about creating a great company. As a billable consultant, you will most likely be assigned a local client. Salaries are competitive+. Smart people who focus on delighting the client will thrive. You will be allowed work-life balance provided you don't want to grow into leadership. There is currently a big emphasis on empowering and promoting women in a male-dominated industry. The senior leadership is approachable and inclusive. There are a lot of really great, caring people at Slalom, and some very smart ones too. Financially, the company is stable and is big enough to weather ups and downs - if you are competent, you will have job security. The company spends a lot of money promoting culture and their brand as a good place to work.

Cons

Slalom prioritizes hiring from big consultancies, in particular Accenture and Deloitte. Two effects of this are that they frequently hire for that culture fit vs. competence; and there are a lot of fair-to-middling Big-X consultants that get managed out of those firms that land at Slalom. A lot of the work is staff augmentation, non-strategic. Getting people billable takes precedent over meaningful work. Senior leadership is overwhelmingly from Accenture/Deloitte/EY etc., so if you are not from one of those firms you will most likely cap out if you want a career vs. a job. Slalom preaches diversity and inclusion from a background perspective, but currently their diversity initiatives are "for Women." Most Slalom leaders expect you to buy into the Slalom Kool-Aid, so if you are looking for cool work but not a religious experience, your career path will be hindered. Over the last 24 months, it felt like priority had shifted away from being the best consulting firm in the world to a quest to expand internationally and hit $1B in revenue, and if things have to be sacrificed to get there, so be it.

Oh - and benefits are far below industry average. 7 holidays, and 2 weeks leave which is inclusive of sick, vacation, whatever you need it for. Recruiting will dazzle you with alternative models and funny math. It often feels like you are working for a cheap accountant (for example, new consultants often get recycled laptops that are years into their depreciation cycle).

In summary - if you are an ex-Big X consultant that doesn't want to travel, it's a great place. If you are from a niche tech firm, industry, etc., you will most likely find it very hard to advance beyond jr. leadership.

Re-commit to the values that made Slalom a great company in the beginning, and balance the quest for $1B in revenue with staying true to your values - that veil is translucent and the consulting staff sees through it. If a Big-X background is critical to obtaining senior leadership positions, develop a learning program to teach those skills. Diversity shouldn't be "for women only."

Slalom Consulting Response

Feb 18, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your thoughtful review. I appreciate the feedback especially about how going Global and being a $1B company seem to be more of the important driving forces at Slalom ... More

Awesome company with a great culture

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. You work with amazing people who are all here for the same reason. Leaders from the top down truly go out of their way to make sure it's a great place to be. Work/life balance is great!

Cons

Salaries seem a little lower for the type of work.

Keep doing your thing!

Great place to work, lots of change and new technologies. The working environment is fun, with lots of team building

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Proactive in contributing to personal career development. This means that they let you choose your own career path and provide the infrastructure and support to get you to your goal.

Cons

The pay is less than other positions offer that are in the same field with experience. This is often offset by the great work environment in the Seattle office, with considerable attention given to building culture.

Work more directly with expanding teams, but on an individual level. This means that with the current growth rate, the attention needs to be broken down a bit more to drawing out the consultant and providing them with a good place for feedback.

Great group, great people

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Very experienced group of consultants, honest unselfish leadership. You will get to work with people who have been around the block and very few new college grads.

Cons

Time off per year is a little short.
    There seems to be little coordination between the different functional groups and not much clarity around project pipeline, but this is minor and only matters when someone is between projects.

Great people, poor benefits

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The people; HR/Recruiting does a great job finding and hiring amazing people
    - Leadership is great and accessible
    - Strong team atmosphere
    - Lots of collaboration between markets; other consultants are eager to assist and/or answer questions
    - Sabbatical after 6,000 billed hours (75% of pay for 4 weeks; This should be changed to 100% or 100% for 3 weeks; who wants to take a 25% pay cut for a month?)

Cons

- Benefits need a lot of improvement; 401k match is atrocious (25% of 6%, potential of 1.5% of salary, only eligible after 1 yr); no paternity leave and only 8 weeks for maternity ; only 7 paid holidays; only 3 weeks PTO and doesn't increase much with tenure; dental insurance is a bad value
    - Policies can feel punitive (bonus only applied to portion of salary, development expenses have to be repaid if you leave within 6 months, sabbatical pay and benefits repaid if you leave within 3 months, must return for a month before being paid for maternity leave)
    - Lot of work is individual in nature, so can be lonely being the only one at a client
    - No reimbursement for mileage/parking at client; also, depending on the client, commute can be very long
    - Career growth/promotion process and requirements are unclear

- Continue to focus on culture and team atmosphere
    - Revisit benefits; specifically the 401k and PTO

Slalom Consulting Response

Feb 18, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your insights. We are revisiting our benefits currently and your feedback helps with that. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever wanted to talk more ... More

Very Good Company, but not a good fit for me for the time being

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

The company is true to its values of always doing the right thing for its people and its clients. Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed. There is opportunity and support as long as you are willing to take the initiative and ownership to build your own path.

Cons

lacking of vision for growth in some domains. You need to be able to spread yourself across multiple industries or technologies and multiple disciplines.

Love the accessibility of leaders. Keep Slalom special.

Great for retiring road warriors, not so much for transition from client side

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay (for non-skilled positions)
    Variety of work could expand a resume for junior team
    Colleagues selectively picked to have very similar personality types

Cons

Big group consulting with the guise of "Local" presence. Same bill or fire attitude
    Management monoculture breeds micromanagement behaviours
    Pay is below scale for technically skilled labor