Slalom Consulting Reviews

442 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.2
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • When they say work life balance - they mean it (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• career path is not totally clear (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Amazing Company!!!

Current Employee - Internal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Internal in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Probably the most generous company I've ever worked for. This is one of the great perks of working for a company that is privately held and truly cares about it's people. The company culture is fantastic, there are honestly so many people here that I would be friends with outside of work, so the people are amazing. There are always team building events happening which brings the group together (even more important in a consulting firm where everyone is typically spread out at clients).

Cons

There are a few who have been promoted into leadership (CSL, BDE) that have you scratching your head as to why they were put in those positions to begin with. But the other senior leaders are pretty much great people both in LA and OC.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow but be careful that the people you are promoting into sales oriented leadership roles will actually SELL something. I think a little accountability would be great in this area.

Slalom Consulting Response

Jun 30, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great to hear that both your colleagues and the general company culture are resonating with you. Your feedback regarding increasing sales ... More

2. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency and availability of the leadership tied with the engagement of the employees creates a contagious culture in and out of the office. The firm is growing fast, but the key is that they're doing it in a sustainable way and maintaining the smaller firm feel.

Cons

The benefits might not compare to some other players in the industry, but the leadership is focused of filling the gaps as the company matures, which is encouraging.

Slalom Consulting Response

Jul 2, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for providing a review. You're correct that the leadership is focused on filling the gaps as we grow. It's wonderful that the company culture, the transparency and availability of ... More

Promotes creativity

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Empowers employees to take up independent roles

Cons

They need to reach out to wider market spectrum.

5. Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

Slalom has amazing people and culture

Cons

Can't think of any right now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Loving my future

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Slalom has built a culture and business model around people. Leadership bases strategies on what will make Slalom the best company to work for. Slalom also seeks out projects and clients that will provide challenge and great opportunity. New ideas are not only encouraged, they are nurtured. Diversity, authenticity and individuality are also greatly valued.

Cons

Lacking a more structured consulting training and development program. Mentoring varies greatly where some consistency could be more effective.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. I have absolute confidence in the leadership of Slalom and the direction the company is headed. The key will be in keeping the culture while the company grows and matures.

7. Great young consultancy.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is key. Clients respect us. We get things done. Truly agile, or post agile.

Cons

Clients don't know what we're worth yet–we are still establishing our brand. Though those that know us, respect us.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight. Do visionary independent projects.

review

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Flexibility, Events, Agile, Care for their employees

Cons

Compared to the Job market there really are not any cons

Good Culture, Middle Management Issues

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best cultures I've seen in consulting.
    Definite push toward being fair and equal to all genders, ethnic groups, orientations, etc.
    Visible effort to receive anonymous employee feedback and try to address concerns.
    Strong push towards hiring women.
    Some Training Opportunities

Cons

Upper Management have vision. Middle management has problems. New managers very lacking management experience.

High chance of being placed into roles unrelated to your background at some point in your time at Slalom.
    Middle Management downward communication is very poor. I awaited responses to emails for upwards of 6-12 months.

Upper Management advocates that if a project isn't for you for whatever reason (skills, people, etc), you can talk to your people manager about it, but in my experience they ignore you.

The company has prided itself on aiding you take the next step in your career.
    I spent so much time assigned to a role that had nothing to do with my expertise/ past experience (in a different practice than mine) that my people manager started telling people I was better suited for it. My P.M. started realizing some of my prior skills after being in management for a year. I felt like I went backwards in my career because I kept waiting on / going back and forth with my People Manager.

Be wary. I think this company is much better if you're on the management consulting side, because they're better connected internally.
    Technical Consultants can be put in the back-burner and ignored.

Advice to Management

Split PAL and People Manager Roles. Provide Checks and Balances for Middle Manager communication.

Don't believe the hype and look elsewhere

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commitment to work-life balance is embedded in Slalom's culture and the firm does not have a shortage of events for employees.

Cons

The downside of the local model of consulting means that most of the projects are staff augmentation and really have nothing to do with consulting. The Managing Directors seem to be aloof, at best, about the prospects of moving into true strategy consulting and I have found that overall the leaders in the practice groups are not terribly interested in finding a project that fits personal and career development goals.

Slalom also is incredibly disorganized with a complete aversion to anything that might be classified as "Big Four." Proposals and bus dev work are ad-hoc and not well executed, and it's difficult to understand the long-term plan when it seems like every consultant is just scrambling for the next project.

Advice to Management

Commit to strategy consulting and truly recognizing that your growing company cannot operate as it once did when it was fewer than 200 consultants. Improve the overall compensation and development process with more transparency and accountability to people managers to actually articulate reasons behind evaluations and suggest areas for improvement.

Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Great positive atmosphere. Super cool people. High energy. Local clients

Cons

Harder to integrate as a working parent. Most Slalom events in the evening. PTO is not sufficient.

RSS Feed </> Embed