Slalom Consulting Reviews

442 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

They don't walk the walk about work life balance. Middle management is largely inexperienced and need improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Peers are competent. Slalom works hard to provide opportunities to socialize with co-workers.

Cons

Slalom doesn't support employees. You are a billable resource and nothing more--regardless of Slalom's significant efforts to move up the ranks in "best place to work" polls like this.

Advice to Management

Invest in training middle managers or promoting people who have actually done it before. provide more than twoo weeks total vacation and sick time.

Think twice

Former Employee - Client Solution Partner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Solution Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Good reputation. Some smart folks with lots of experience.

Cons

Not sure how on earth they got their good reputation! Poor management at a the consulting level. This firm is really a staff aug firm that diguises themselves as a solutions firm. Very disappointing experience if you are a seasoned consultant. Very territorial behavior by all and very cliquy.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to folks during the interview process. Be clear of job role, type of work and the fact that you will to keep yourself billable.

Body shop with little concern for quality overly focused on staffing any role with no internal career path

Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant Lacky in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Some variety in the work
    - Network development

Cons

- Lack of substance on being "consultant focused"
    - Managers are time approvers and focused on filling staffing opps, little more
    - Poor career path or advancement opportunities. The overly hyped "Career Development Framework" is poorly supported and barely used
    - Installed base of leadership are a clique
    - Work/life balance is a joke
    - Totally reliant on a small group of big clients - be prepared for "wash, rinse, repeat" from engagement to engagement
    - PTO is poor - leaders are always "looking at it" and never doing anything about it
    - No tolerance for differing points of view or those who don't drink the leadership kool aid - assimilate or leave
    - Shark tank attitude between incompetent sales team and customer account mgrs to land any role and get a warm body on it
    - They market the life out of the "best place to work" surveys that aren't really credible
    - Absence of "straight talk" internally, typical Seattle "fake nice"
    - Obsession with national growth and driving revenue for the owner with little opportunity for others to share in the success or maturing Slalom's practices
    - Slalom's spin on non-profit "contributions" are limited to employees doing things on their own time with no real investment from Slalom

Advice to Management

Slalom needs to stop pretending it's something that it's not. Management needs to back-up their words with tangible actions.

If you want a consulting pimp to get you any project, it's a good place.

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

You get to stay in a local place. So, if you are a burnt out ex-big 4 who is sick of traveling, it's a good place to park yourself for a year or two.

Cons

The place is a body shop to push local projects to burnt out ex-big 4 people.
    So, if you are looking for growth, you are not going to get it. The management response for your development is "it's your responsibility". Good sounding, but in reality this means they will use whatever value you have till you are no longer needed. And any value add skils, you will have to pony up time and money to do so.

So, if you are little motivated, then be a self-employed consultant through other outfits. Will be more financially rewarding.

Also, if you are not willing to play office politic, then you will be pushed out. This is very political organization.

Advice to Management

Stop the frat mentality.
    Stop the preferential treatment to kiss-asses.
    Most importantly, develop a fair process to reward and develop your existing employees.

Be very cautious!!! No matter how long you have been there you may be laid off.

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Work / life balance and social hours. Too bad the social times couldn't have been cut back instead of letting good people go.

Cons

During this economical time lay offs were kept hush hush of who and how many. Never a poor review ever and I got let go along with others. However during the same time salaried consulting directors were put out on billable jobs and consultants were let go.

Advice to Management

Treat the people with respect... never know when paths may cross again.

Don't believe the hype and look elsewhere

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commitment to work-life balance is embedded in Slalom's culture and the firm does not have a shortage of events for employees.

Cons

The downside of the local model of consulting means that most of the projects are staff augmentation and really have nothing to do with consulting. The Managing Directors seem to be aloof, at best, about the prospects of moving into true strategy consulting and I have found that overall the leaders in the practice groups are not terribly interested in finding a project that fits personal and career development goals.

Slalom also is incredibly disorganized with a complete aversion to anything that might be classified as "Big Four." Proposals and bus dev work are ad-hoc and not well executed, and it's difficult to understand the long-term plan when it seems like every consultant is just scrambling for the next project.

Advice to Management

Commit to strategy consulting and truly recognizing that your growing company cannot operate as it once did when it was fewer than 200 consultants. Improve the overall compensation and development process with more transparency and accountability to people managers to actually articulate reasons behind evaluations and suggest areas for improvement.

talks like a big 4 but run like a staffing franchise

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for ex-big 4 consultants who want to get off the road. Strong socializing culture. Recruiting does a great job building up the possibilities.

Cons

It's really a body shop run by ex-senior managers who never received leadership training or experience. You are on your own to promote yourself, so sucking up to the MD's is a must to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Bring in adult management that has the experience to move the business forward or be satisfied as a local staffing business

May 1, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. If you want to provide more specific feedback to me in the spirit of continual learning, I would love to hear it - simply email me at johnt@slalom.com. You could also share ... More

Great people but sub-par assignments and 2nd tier management issues

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and very sharp. The culture is amazing. The company hosts great quarterly reviews and the annual retreat with significant others is awesome. The GM is top notch at what he does, personable, humble and remembers everyone.

Cons

Assignments won't necessarily be within your professional expertise and staff aug assignments aren't out of the realm of possibility. Resisting a staff aug assignment or one that is not close to your profession is highly frowned upon. You take what you're given. Too many members of the 2nd tier of management seem to be more concerned with selling anything that they don't take the time to think whether it's a good fit for the company or the consultants. You're at their mercy. Top management talks about meaningful work for us but it's just talk due to some of their direct reports. They need to review the motivation and work of their 2nd tier managers.

Volunteering for internal projects seems more like a mandate than an option. If you're not active internally then it can be looked upon negatively. Internal contributions outside of your full-time assignment are expected. Doesn't seem to matter if you have a family or long commute, it is in your best interest to volunteer when it comes to raise and bonus time.

3 weeks of PTO is sub-par.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and really look at the assignments being handed out against the skill set of the consultant. It's not fair to bring in people who are seasoned professionals then place them in a staff aug assignment or an assignment that is outside of their profession. Making record numbers feels good but at what cost are they being met?

Apr 28, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. This is good feedback regarding the projects and staffing process for the Dallas office - I will share with that team. If you want to provide more specific feedback to me in the ... More

Interesting, awkward, misleading, and fun people, all rolled into one.

Former Employee - Solution Principal in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Solution Principal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. Easy to make some fast $. Some leaders are true leaders. Seek them out and learn with them. Others are manage-up only. Avoid them like the plague, they're only self serving. Not a lot of travel, although I did travel to conference and management meetings outside of Chicago. Profit sharing and extra $ incentives for people at my level. I've been promoted, I've been respected, but the pats-on-the-back only go so far.

Cons

Flat-out miserable benefits. Not the best insurance. Terrible PTO structure. Having a child? Forget Maternity or Paternity. Pay for it yourself, use up your PTO, and then lose money. 401k or other investments? Poor selection and one of the lowest company contributions I've ever had in 18 years. If you're at the managing director level you are allowed to invest in the company's private growth - i.e. shares. Not atypical to need to invest $100K of your own capital. This is absurd! I understand the reasons for wanting that cash infusion based on the equity structure, but many of the best places competing for talent give substantial options/equity at a fraction of that cost, and only have very short vesting times. Employees working for more innovative companies see a MUCH higher upside when it comes to employee equity. I've experienced it myself. Management is hit or miss. Some are very misleading. Some are very collaborative and helpful. I think they all care, just not about you or your success. I suppose this happens everywhere. However Slalom advertises how different they are, and it just isn't. Very Anderson-Accenture like. You can rock the heck out of a project and a client can rave about you, but if a certain PAD or MD has hesitations for any reason or has a favorite, you're getting nailed. I've been in the reviews, I've seen and heard it. The culture and drinking fest is not optional. You don't show up to enough of them, it is career suicide. If you're in management and you don't show up, you're frowned upon. These are great for networking, but honestly, it has turned into more of a role-call in a way. Constantly shifting or moving standards to measure people. Even when you think you've got it down, it can change based on someone's perceptions. Look I loved my time for what it's worth, but there are MUCH better alternatives for smart people wanting to stretch themselves and do great work. Many people here talk like they chose Slalom over McKinsey or other awesome startups or big players like Facebook or Apple or Boston Consulting Group. The people here just are not there. They're good but they're not that upper crust capable or the amazing that is present in these top companies.

Advice to Management

Provide more true value. Much of what has happened at Slalom, and the Chicago office as well has been to nurture thought innovation and then have techies bill the hell out of a company. Slalom is not a forward thinking company when it comes to technology or innovation. Only very select projects will truly keep sophisticated and engaged technologists and thinkers happy. Example: highest level of the company pitches me on taking on leadership role at an existing client. Good role description, great opportunity, nice alignment. Perfect, right? Not even close. Poor structure in place at client (I wonder how they can be so happy with Slalom?) Not a great team building experience, use cases and work to be done is not even close to what I was sold on, and then largely I am told that if I want to do the work I was told I'd be doing -I need to create that role for my self by making the client see me as the value provider for something they don't want in the fist place. OK, I understand making yourself invaluable, pitching our brand, brining amazing value. But there is a point when Senior Management has to be more transparent. it's about trust. When it is broken, it's broken. I'm all about taking one for the team, but there needs to be that trust and team concept. if I'm going into a rat-hole, let me know ahead of time. Let me be ready to help in that capacity.

May 15, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I will share with the Chicago leadership team. Consistency is something I am really trying to preach and work on with our employees' experience and it sounds like you have had ... More

Great for retiring road warriors, not so much for transition from client side

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay (for non-skilled positions)
    Variety of work could expand a resume for junior team
    Colleagues selectively picked to have very similar personality types

Cons

Big group consulting with the guise of "Local" presence. Same bill or fire attitude
    Management monoculture breeds micromanagement behaviours
    Pay is below scale for technically skilled labor

RSS Feed </> Embed