Slalom Consulting Reviews

Reset
4.1
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • When they say work life balance - they mean it (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• career path is not totally clear (in 16 reviews)

Management walks the walk

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

Advice to Management

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues and the work as well as the unique culture we have here. Your feedback regarding steering clear of ... More

Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Great positive atmosphere. Super cool people. High energy. Local clients

Cons

Harder to integrate as a working parent. Most Slalom events in the evening. PTO is not sufficient.

Good Company

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I recently left after working for Slalom for many years. I had the opportunity of joining when the company was small and seeing them grow and succeed. I was given many challenges and always treated as an individual and not a number. While the local model was not what attracted me to the company, I liked that Slalom realized that there were plenty of roles and investments that could be made in the local community and it was not necessary to fly people all over the country.

Management also realized that when they went from 100 to 101 employees that how the company was run had to change. It was not always easy for those of us that had been around for a while to swallow, it was necessary for continued success and growth.

Cons

I left Slalom for personal reasons and not for anything that Slalom was doing wrong or not offering to me. I would have course liked:
     - better 401K benefits
     - vacation days

The biggest con for me was that leaders were often promoted too soon. As examples, I often worked with leaders who were selling projects that they did not understand what it would take to deliver, they sold it short and then walked on to the next sell leaving the delivery team to clean up the mess. This could be fixed by putting more emphasis on delivery experience and responsibilities before promotion instead of putting as much emphasis on the sales goals.

Not as good as it looks like

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well, good people, smart people to work.

Cons

1. If you are technical person don't expect to work in the same technology for more than 6 months.
    2. Talks of employee concern is not practised .
    3. 401k match is not good
    4.pays well but you would be surprised to see the margin , since their billing rates are so high clients mostly prefer to have short term projects with slalom.
    5. Lots of training activities but you will never use them in next few years.
    6. Pressure to attend all the social activities is high, it may be required for leaders and managers but for consultants its waste of time.
    7. Reporting managers are changed very frequently , tough to maintain a relationship with manager .
    8.very small client base , so as stated in point 1 growing in same tech is not practically possible. ( makes you feel jacks of all trade but master of none)
    9. Project is considered only if margin is 50% , higher rates are scaring clients .
    10. People are promoted just because position is vacant instead of skills.
    11. Splited sf office into 2 , just to create room for promotions. Causing smaller client base .
    12. In lots of projetcs consultants are asked to learn some tech with a week .
    13. People with wotk visa have some serious concerns .

Advice to Management

Please check all cons and fix them if possible. Allow consultants to work in other markets if they don't get a projetct in their area of expertise .

Good overall, but still a lot of ego within the firm

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safe work environment that allows you to grow at your own pace. You can go as hard or essentially as "slow" as you want. It is entirely up to you in which direction you choose to grow your career.

Cons

Some internal power hungry folks that have an inflated sense of self worth for themselves...

Advice to Management

Stop promoting ego-centric, self promoting people that people really do not like working for.

Apr 28, 2015President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for the feedback, I plan to share this with your market leaders. If you want to provide more specific feedback to me, I would love to hear it - simply email me at ... More

You might "love your future" at Slalom

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful projects with good, quality clients that are professionally engaging and personally satisfying. If you want variety and challenge you will get it. Excellent personal and professional growth opportunities. Trials by fire you can't help but grow from to become an experienced hand. Great people and positive, supportive atmosphere at Slalom.

Cons

Consultant team solutioning type engagements (as opposed to single consultant staff aug roles) are being sold more often now, but too often the sales stage did not cover the necessary assessment and team staffing needed to truly deliver a great final product solution for the client. The consultants thrown on these types of engagements are then left in the lurch to figure out how to salvage a project that wasn't sold and staffed properly. Project management without the knowledge or use of software methodologies like Scrum & Agile which are needed for Slalom teams to succeed on solutioning projects.

Advice to Management

The new initiative to designate a "principal consultant" on team solutioning engagements is a good step. The desire to remain a 'flat' organization without more hierarchical senior role opportunities is a major problem for driven individuals who want a clear career growth path, and who often take up a senior/leadership role on consultant teams anyhow. In general, organizational flatness is counter-effective when you need more team leaders on these engagements.

Jan 26, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about working at Slalom. It's wonderful that you are challenged and satisfied. Also, thanks for your insights regarding how projects are sold and ... More

Best consulting firm to work for

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

- My managers and superiors were incredibly supportive of my career growth and development, including transfering to new client engagements when I was burnt out or needed a change.
    - The company has numerous outings and gatherings to keep the offices close. These are a lot of fun and are a great break from the day to day of client work
    - Client engagements are not typically sold just to meet a bottom line, but rather to raise the levels of the client and give consultants a chance to work on some substantial work.
    - It's a national network of local market offices. I worked at two of the offices over 3 years and got to work remotely with 8 other markets and all very smart people. Each office has it's own flavor, but every office hires kind, smart, and engaged people.
    - Local market offices mean you are not in an airport every week, rather you get to sleep in your own bed every night.

Cons

- The cons of Slalom are generally issues that consulting firms have...
    -- You don't work with your co-workers very often if you are a consultant. You see your project team most often, if you aren't staffed in an individual contributor role.
    -- In addition, with consulting, you could be ramping up for new clients and new environments as quickly as a couple months.
    - Sometimes the senior leaders can be cliquey, which doesn't prohibit professional opportunities, but can make connecting with them in social settings outside of client work.

Advice to Management

Keep living the core values from the top down. Great work

9. Keeping true as being the best

Current Employee - IT Service Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Service Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is a great company to work for. The culture within the company is diverse, yet it works. Because of the diverse group of people that work within the organization, there is a match for every type of customer. The local-resource model is excellent. Being able to work in the community where you live, and work with customers just outside your door is a welcome change to the typical consulting model where consultants spend numerous hours traveling to and from customers - coast to coast - which eat into family time. Heading out to the customer, and being home for dinner is the best of both worlds when you enjoy consulting.

Furthering your education and expertise is only limited to your ability to manage your own time.

Cons

You need to understand and feel comfortable with consulting. You will start a "new" job every few moths in some cases. If you are comfortable with the consulting model, Slalom has very few downsides to their model.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a bit more transparency on how merging markets, like Silicon Valley split from SF is tracking against targets.

10. A new way to consulting.

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

You get what you put in. Encourages it's people to determine how fast and how much. Doesn't have traditional hierarchies and customs, but rather looks to redefine "tradition" in consulting. It's commitment to the culture and people ensure we don't become just a business. Still a growing company with great opportunities.

Cons

Still growing. Policies and structures are evolving. Although this is a national and now global firm, focus is on the local markets translating into more local opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the people. They will take you farther than any other strategy.

11. Hands Down a Best Place to Work.

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong core values and commitment to them. The BEST leadership. People first. Amazing culture and community that’s second to none

Cons

We need more innovative modes of communication and collaboration outside of the traditional tools and technologies.

Advice to Management

Don't rest on your laurels; remember that what's worked for us in the past might not always work for us in the future. Great to see the focus on Inclusion and Diversity - keep it up. Keep an open mind; ensure all voices are heard.

Oct 29, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review. It's great that you find the leadership, culture and community of the San Francisco office to be so fulfilling. I ensure that your ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed