Slalom Consulting

Updated November 2, 2014
4.4

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A new way to consulting.

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

You get what you put in. Encourages it's people to determine how fast and how much. Doesn't have traditional hierarchies and customs, but rather looks to redefine "tradition" in consulting. It's commitment to the culture and people ensure we don't become just a business. Still a growing company with great opportunities.

Cons

Still growing. Policies and structures are evolving. Although this is a national and now global firm, focus is on the local markets translating into more local opportunities.

Continue to focus on the people. They will take you farther than any other strategy.

Hands Down a Best Place to Work.

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong core values and commitment to them. The BEST leadership. People first. Amazing culture and community that’s second to none

Cons

We need more innovative modes of communication and collaboration outside of the traditional tools and technologies.

Don't rest on your laurels; remember that what's worked for us in the past might not always work for us in the future. Great to see the focus on Inclusion and Diversity - keep it up. Keep an open mind; ensure all voices are heard.

Slalom Consulting Response

Oct 29, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review. It's great that you find the leadership, culture and community of the San Francisco office to be so fulfilling. I ensure that your ... More

This place is amazing!!!

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Core values - they really speak to me and you see that people, leaders and consultants, genuinely care about living our core values.
    - Entrepreneur culture
    - People - are top notch: smart, friendly, open, diverse, very collaborative and supportive

Cons

If you are looking for a very prescriptive career path or coaching, and like to be told what to do every single step of the way, this place is not for you.

Keep doing what you are doing. The additional focus on diversity and inclusion for 2015 is a great initiative - thank you for continuing to make this a top priority.

Slalom Consulting has been the most amazing, fun, and diverse work environment I've ever been in

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Slalom has the vibrancy of a young company with as many opportunities as you want to sink your teeth into. It also leaves everyone the very important flexibility of balancing your life outside of work. You are completely free to bite off as much as you would like (or as little). The environment, culture, and leadership continue foster a very fun and diverse working environment while still proving how successful Slalom can be.

Cons

Slalom is still figuring some things out and perfecting its "secret sauce". That means not everything is fully charted and some things are not yet perfect. That sometimes means that employees may need to innovate on their own if there isn't an already established process or tool to use at clients.

Continue Slalom's strong history of being nimble, dynamic, inclusive of all sub-groups and of taking action on any imperfections that surface in internal employee surveys

Amazing Experience at Slalom

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am impressed by the "people" aspect of the company. I previously worked at a "Big 4" consulting firm and it was very easy to get lost in the shuffle. At Slalom, every People Manager I have come across has shown a genuine interest in my staffing preferences, professional development, and personal development. In addition, the Leadership Team wants to ensure you are engaged within the company and that you are satisfied with the company and your personal growth.

Cons

Some of the internal tools are a little clunky, but I don't think that is a deal-breaker!

We are growing like crazy! Make sure the fun, personable culture does not change.

Freedom, autonomy and support

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's similar to working with your most ambitious friends on an idea that everyone believes in.

Cons

It's an opt-in culture - you get what you put it to the company. (is this really a con?)

Continue the history of paying attention to core values

Slalom is Legit

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart dedicated people. Basically unlimited training budget for employees (within reason!)
    Having worked at several large consulting firms where weekend and evening work is expected, its very refreshing that I have only had to work weekends and evenings a handful of times over the past five years.

Great opportunities for networking and social activities
    Amazing clients that I want to work at!

Cons

Some growing pains where some internal processes need reworked. Lot's of new people joining makes it hard to know everyone as before.
    Some benefits could be improved but I will trade a few less PTO days for no travel and a great client list.

Look at ways to improve internal process without becoming like all the other consulting groups

Slalom Consulting Response

Oct 7, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts. It's wonderful that the work/life balance of Slalom is working for you. As you point out, growth is ongoing and leadership in SF and around the ... More

Company in rapid growth mode with opportunities aplenty for those who want to take control of their careers.

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is so much really cool stuff happening at Slalom right now. They continue to expand their reach around the US with new market launches at around two per year and are even gearing up for moving international with the launch of London. It's not just geographic expansion, but capabilities as well. Over the past two years alone, Slalom has launched a Customer Engagement practice and a Digital practice. All that aside, the culture of ambitious, smart, fun-loving and active people is one of the most authentic and uplifting environments I have ever worked in.

Cons

Rapid growth and constant change is exciting, but can also create some uncertainty for people that don't easily see the big picture.

Continue to foster - no, refocus your efforts on creating a culture of inclusion and connection with all people. Even though everyone is busy, there's always time to meet a new person and make sure everyone feels connected with Slalom.

CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW AMAZING THIS PLACE IS

Former Employee - Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- They only hire the best, everyone you work with will challenge you and be a team player
    - Excellent leadership, leaders are authentic, decisive, and know how to balance business needs while still developing and challenging their employees
    - When they say work life balance - they mean it. High competitive salaries, yet you work the schedule you need to work to get client work done.
    - Very unique culture. innovation is key.... rarely hear someone say no... but rather, let's try it!

Cons

- Like other consulting firms, you can find yourself in a role that can feel staff aug - but as long as you articulate yourself to management... they will move you out of the role.
    - Can be hard to move up in the company, sometimes career paths are unclear because of unique structure

Slalom isn't just a consulting company, it's a family.

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Local clients, flexible training options, diverse, fun

Cons

Sometimes the leadership team has a bit of a "Frat Boys" feel

Bring stronger (skill wise), deeper (experiance wise), more diverse folks (e.g. women) in at the top level.