Sleep Country USA Reviews

Dale Carlsen

Awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here nearly 6 years. My ESOP was awesome. When Dale gave this to us, it was a gift. I am very pleased at how the company helps to work out issues that might help keep good employees. If your not with sleep country. It's because you don't want to be. Awesome company

Cons

Yes long hours. But during the economic meltdown. I was bringing in $50,000 a year and I still am. Push yourself to be the best and you get paid for it. If your a slacker. Then expect $15.00 an hour.

Advice to Management

I could care less about mgmt.... I just do my best for whatever team I'm on. Make it happen for yourself The mgmt is just doing their jobs. Sling some beds and then go home and sleep on a really good bed for almost free. Wow them and they will stay out of your way.

2. ifif yyou're good at sales you will make good money, if you're not... It's like working 60rs a week at a library

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Sleep Country USA

Pros

Yoga pants and black boots

Cons

Staffing, coverage, personal time

Advice to Management

Allow good salespeople to be happy in their personal life

3. Great experience.

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the fast-paced environment and the learning opportunity it has offered. I have been involved with all things recruiting.

Cons

Growing company can make things difficult.

5. Great Development programs

I have been working at Sleep Country USA

Pros

Internal training, benefits, pay, associates are like family

Cons

Upper management makes decisions emotionally

Advice to Management

Not be so top heavy

6. Great development programs

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training, culture, the associates are like family

Cons

Upper management is top heavy and tends to make decisions emotionally

Advice to Management

Be a bit more rational

Discriminatory Human Resources Department

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make decent salary is there. Many of the employees are friendly. Promotion possibities are good, training is okay.

Cons

Employees have no stability in their career or in the location that they would be working in. Company is constantly looking for reasons to cause trouble for employees, such as their, "documentation procedures". Human resources does not do enough to prevent and resolve discrimination.

Advice to Management

Discrimination is a problem in your company. It should be resolved before it gets expensive for you.

8. Not what it used to be. Sad.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Sleep Country USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was proud to work at a company that treats the customer right. For a long time it was fun, I had good managers, and if I sold well, they took care of me. ESOP is great. They paid for medical insurance after 3 years of employment. The owner is a really nice guy.

Cons

Sadly...They became extremely greedy. Squeezing every penny (with pressure) out of every sell. They made the goals so high, that no one could make bonus. Upper management did not appreciate MOST of us. I few select favorites, because they were fantastic at brown nosing. Although I was in the top 5 profit producers for the state, I was demoted to a slower sale because my profits were not in the right categories. Upper management couldn't and wouldn't figure out why such a high turnover. They opened too many stores. Over saturated the market and over staffed the stores so people were making less money. They no longer were watching out for the employees just want $$$$ for the overpaid upper management. I feel bad because I really wanted to stay for many more years. If Dale was not so far removed from what was really taking place at the store levels, maybe something would have changed.

Advice to Management

Read my cons!

9. A Place for Potential

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, ESOP, free food and drink at company functions, for the most part people who care about your growth. Depending on location there is at time tremendous opportunity for advancement, but in other locations very little opportunity for advancement. Free concert tickets/employee appreciation benefits. Great Christmas party. Decent benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent pay (comes with the territory), difficult work/life balance (also comes with the territory). Little care or empathy from middle management to accomodate work/life balance requests.
    Poorly trained middle management is my biggest complaint. Senior management is great, but the immediate supervisors in the store lack training and consistency. I spent an unfortunate amount of time with a manager who still cared more about herself, her sales, and her opportunities more than any of her staff and went to great lengths to manipulate situations for her benefit at the cost of everyone else. It was the saving grace of my last two managers that made me realize that not all the apples are bad, and made this review a 4 instead of a 1.

Advice to Management

MTP provided very little tangible, quality training. For the most part, it seemed like a very long conversation about philosophy. Role playing scenarios of potential conflict with associates would be a helpful addition to the courses, especially confilcts about split sales/rotation/credit for a sale in synergy etc...

If you keep promoting with such an intense emphasis on numbers, you will have one person in every store with good numbers: the leader. If you want stores where EVERYONE has good numbers, you will have to start promoting people who have good numbers and GREAT softskills. On the whole, managers seem to have GREAT numbers and reprehensible soft skills.

10. Great Company, Many Opportunities!!!

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Sleep Country USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many Locations in Portland to work at. I worked at 13 different locations, covering for vacations, setting up new stores and moving on to Mattress Discounters. Management cares and treats you excellent!!!

Cons

Having a bad month could have you moved to a slow store making it hard to recover or win back your spot in a high volume store.

Advice to Management

Spread a little bit more of that cheer to encourage the ones who need help. Create a "Tour of Duty" that allows everyone to have a their fair share of the high rollers that are spending big cash.

11. Awful

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sleep Country USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make money here, but it had to be their way. Good product lines, good training program.

Cons

Terrible, expensive benefit plans, work weekends every week, no work life balance, fear based environment where you are written up for every little thing. 85% of goal? Write up. Their whole management style is CYA. Horrible HR processes and frat boy atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood in this place. Just because we have always done it this way, it doesn't mean the process or policy is a good one. Very antiquated leadership styles.

Sleep Country USA Photos