Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Product-Great job-Terrible management

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The product really does sell itself.
    Got to sell what I loved
    Great customers

Cons

Management was poor
    You are basically customer service even though you tell them to call customer service themselves if they have a problem from the beginning
    Cold calling
    Customers give you way to much personal info
    Pay

Dec 19, 2014Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We value your feedback and have taken this to the appropriate parties.

Sales professional

Former Employee - Sale Professional in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sale Professional in Portland, OR

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you like long slow hours .. Slow at times. Not a very hard physical job

Cons

Management and upper management CEO. They like to keep you confused on all the sales . They usually have 3 different sales going on at the same time. Causing sales professional to lose their commission

Train store managers how to truly lead , not lead by insulting employees while on the sales floor in front of customers

Dec 19, 2014Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I am passing your comments about the commission/sales and management concerns to the appropriate teams at the home office. Should you wish to ... More

Simply Wonderful!

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture.
    Great work life balance for retail.
    Top notch Senior Leadership!!!

Cons

None that I can think of! Great long term vision and direction.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback!

good company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They car about their employees, and have different events to show appreciation.

Cons

Very strict on hours, being 60 seconds late is equal to missing half a days work, 2 minutes equal to missing an entire day.

Nov 21, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed the different appreciation events we have in our Customer Relationship Center!

Floater=sewer/inspecter/zipper cell/double serger/coverlets/v-tech/pinner

Former Employee - Floater in Irmo, SC
    Former Employee - Floater in Irmo, SC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They dont mind letting you learn to do different things. Act all friendly to your face or while you are letting them make you work 4 or 5 different jobs in one night.

Cons

will not pay you what you are worth. will hire new people on and start them off making more money than the workers that have been there 3 years. If you aint in the "Buddy Buddy system" you are going NO WHERE. Supervisors have their pick of who is getting a certain job even before such job is posted and will start training that person before the job is posted, so that when it is posted, Their pick is already qualified for the job.Supervisors should step up and make their own decisions instead of listening to the line leads who are playing the system

Make some major changes at this plant.Make line leads learn every job on their line.

Great products, sales process!

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Valencia, CA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Selling of a product line and accessories that is extremely easy to believe in is a big +! Performance based compensation w/ a base salary allows for growth and stability. Key performers recognized publicly makes for a positive workplace environment. Sales staff is encouraged to try out the products at home and become owner's.

Cons

Individual goals and numbers not based on LY performance and appear to be completely arbitrary. Promotions from within are not always based on achievements numbers-wise at the store level.

Invest in more training of the store/district management to recognize the strengths/abilities/weaknesses of the retail staff and store leadership.

Poorly run.

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money can be good at times but usually not. Store was close to my home so travel time was good.

Cons

Too many to list. Poor management from top to bottom. Upper management does not care about you or your family. Bottom line is all that matters. If you were lucky enough to hit your goal they just raise it the next month so it's impossible to hit again. Then if you don't hit your goal you get written up, too many write ups and you're fired. You are told that you will get a work schedule a few weeks in advance but usually it's only a few days before that month begins, also the schedule is always subject to change so good luck making plans to do anything. If you have a family especially small children look elsewhere for a job because you will never see them. I had to come home early from being out of town on vacation because my district manager decided last minute to have a meeting and everyone had to be there. Bottom line... This place is not a good place to work unless you like long hours with little payoff and no time for your family.

Care about your employees. They're not just names on a print out, they are people with lives and families. Pay more for the work they do.

Not bad

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent, but not a lot of movement

Cons

lots of pressure, management rides hard.

work in progress

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a sales professional I feel very comfortable recommending the high quality products in a low pressure sales environment. The products literally sell themselves.

Cons

Very flat management hierarchy, if you are reporting to a superior that you are not compatible with, your kind of stuck.

Exchange policy for bedding doesn't match the most progressive retailer. Customer service isn't keeping up with sales growth

Worst company to work for, they do not care about their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is in a good location (corporate office).

Cons

Management is horrible. The company policies are disgusting, it is like being in Kindergarten again. My teen age daughter gets treated with more respect at her job that I do. Expected to do "catch up work" during your breaks and lunch, or you get talked to. No communication between management and employees, management is NEVER around to help out with questions/issues/problems. You get paid very little for what is expected of you.

Communicate with your employees. Be around to help.

Dec 12, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties within the organization.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos