Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Reset
3.1
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political among upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

1. Retail Systems Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great culture, great product, good marketing

Cons

Many up and downs to their business

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the needs of the stores

Jul 30, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback! We appreciate you sharing your pros on working for Sleep Number as well as some of your concerns. Thanks again for taking the time to share!

2. Great Company, Great Pay!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Innovative products, great customer base and ability to make great money, too.

Cons

It's retail, so weekends and holidays are the norm.

Jul 24, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying the benefits of being an important part of our Sleep Number team!

Sales Professional

Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sleep Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Good pay when economy is strong compared to other Retail jobs. You could possibly move up to Store Manager, if you blow away your personal goals, get along with your boss, and show leadership skills.

Cons

Paid time off (PTO) is vacation that you should be able to enjoy with Family/Friends and Sleep Number says they want you to enjoy this time. However, you are still responsible for 100 percent of your goal when gone and risk being terminated by missing goal when taking PTO.

Advice to Management

Don't write-up sales people when they take a week or more off for PTO and still hit like 80 percent of their goal. The company doesn't need to adjust goals, but please take PTO into consideration before warning us about job loss. Another idea let us accumulate more than 120 hours PTO or pay out PTO end of year, if 100 percent of goal is all that matters for job retention.

Jul 24, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback and for your ideas on additional ways for us to work with PTO hours. Your feedback is being shared and we thank you for taking the time to share!

Improving lives by Individualizing Sleep Experiences.

Current Employee - United States Marine in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - United States Marine in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is encouraged by the leadership. Great pay and great product!

Cons

If you love having fun and making money at the same time, you will love Sleep Number.

Advice to Management

None.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sale Professional
    Current Employee - Sale Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent products for consumers. Locations are usually is a nice mall. Nice team of coworkers for the most part. I say for the most part because some coworkers have a tendency to take your leads.

Cons

It is retail so the you will work until 9pm on some evenings. National holidays are blacked out from taking off. Saturdays and Sundays are pretty much mandatory for all employees. The company doesn't have cleaners take care of the stores. Employees have to scrub toilets and bathroom floors. Also, Sundays are the detail cleaning days. All shelves are dusted. Vacuum every night. Bathrooms 3 times a week. The up time is only 20 minutes. Imagine what that is like to keep track of. You can go hours before someone walks in to shop. Gets a bit boring if you have any amount of energy. Pay is 9.00 an hour plus commission. Be very careful when submitting paperwork for you commission. One error and you will not get your commission.

Advice to Management

You must up the hourly wage if you want to retain professional, articulate employees.

Jul 24, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your concerns with some of the policies, wage paid and keep up on the store. Your feedback is being shared with the appropriate ... More

Sales manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products are amazing. You make good money on the surface unless you are management and then the hours aren't worth the pay or your sanity.

Cons

Worst company to work for ever. After 4 years managing the only reason I stayed was the great pay. However when you account for your hours spent there it's not as good as it seems. They always want more! And if the sales offered are poor then its still your fault. The trainers are amazing but the district managers told us to lie and deceive customers for sales when the trainers weren't around. The current CEO is out to prove her name at anyone's cost. They have fired the good DM's and replaced them with those that are slave drivers and humiliate employees. So sad because their advertising is customer centered but they treat their employees terrible. I left on my own. I wasn't fired. I had enough. So if you enjoy being humiliated, stressed, and never want to see your family or have any type of life please apply. And if you are great at lying you will do and be praised even more.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO. She is a joke and encouraged lying to customers but will never admit it. Your products are superior. Please value your employees. They sacrifice so much and are offered so little. They are under the impression because they pay well they own you.

Jun 19, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

At Sleep Number we strive to always do right by our customers and employees. I am sorry that you didn't feel that this was the case in your position or time with us. While we understand that retail ... More

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work place. Great work life balance

Cons

Management needs to be proactive.

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your time and service!

Ballooning Goals

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Product has high customer satisfaction. Very unique product as there is no other nationally recognized air bed. Customers are very loyal

Cons

Management had their hands in your pockets. The more you sell the less you get paid. Goals are continually raised into oblivion and your pay is based upon a percentage of that goal not gross receipts so your pay is reduced while management receives fat bonuses on your work

Advice to Management

Pay a flat commission rate with bonuses not punishment for performance

Jul 13, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback. Sleep Number believes in a pay for performance culture and strategically plans how goals are set and commissions are paid out to truly reward our high ... More

I love my career!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The integrity of the company. amazing products that really do improve people's lives. A forward thinking company who really doesn't have much competition. exclusive product. awesome pay compensation for what we do!

Cons

retail hours and schedules, working almost every major holiday because we have big sales. having to work many Sundays.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the customer like we have been, but be careful of being greedy and pushing the work hours and schedule too hard. Let the store managers who know their business trends schedule how they see fit.

Jun 26, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! Retail hours and schedules can be difficult at times and we truly do appreciate how much effort that takes from our retail employees to be available for our customers ... More

11. It is very rewarding to be able to improve people's lives by improving their quality of sleep.

Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sleep Expert in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number has a great product, good pay, and a very innovative company.

Cons

Poor leadership from many of the store and district managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees!

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Capital Operations Specialist

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on both the pros of working for Sleep Number as well as your concerns with leadership. If you would like to discuss these concerns further please feel free to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed