Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

190 reviews filtered by
3.2
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

1. Sales

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Temecula, CA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Excellent place to work. They care about their people and management is there to help you succeed. Excellent benefits, 401K match and results driven.

Cons

When its slow you need to keep yourself occupied.

None. Never had a bad manager. Still hold many of them in close regard.

Mar 27, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for posting your review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Sleep Number!

2. Absolutely fantastic! Dedicated company.

Former Employee - Sleep Associate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sleep Associate in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, very detailed training, great staff across every store in Southern California area. They hire serious sales driven people. You MUST be driven by commission sales. I was one of the youngest employees for quite a few cities around my store at 25 yrs. old at the time. They hire very experienced employees. Low hourly but it is definitely made up if you are a good sales person. The company cares about you and want you to succeed. Great structure.

Cons

Due to commission based sales, some days you will stay longer to provide service to the customer and close the deal. Meetings are once a month and you have drive to another store (unless you're lucky and its yours) you do get paid mileage but then you work the remaining entire 8 hour shift for that day. You must be able to go from 0-60 at a moments notice. One minute its dead for hours the next you have 5 people in the store.

My Manager was fantastic! Wonderful fair guy and all the managers are well informed and can delegate accordingly. He has since been promoted. Room for growth exists!

Mar 13, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for posting your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our culture and values. We truly appreciate our hard working sales force and all that you do for our customers!

Great Job Overall

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Good income potential. Nice product. Loyal customers. Excellent LOCAL management.

Cons

Corporate BS runs rampant. They want your soul. The district manager couldn't sell a bed to save their own life.

Let the local managers tell you what works; not the other way around.

Mar 20, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for posting your feedback on your concerns within our retail field. Your feedback will be shared with the proper retail partners. Should you wish to discuss your concerns further please ... More

5. Incredible opportunity from sales professional on up!

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a store manager I've been able to recruit and train a highly motivated, well compensated team. They all have nice new cars, great homes and lives. I support my family, am active in my church and children's schools. How many retail managers can actually say the have a quality life away from the store? I can!

Cons

Vital to be good at managing money. Income is great, but not the same each month. Highs and Lows, some controlled with how much you put into it, some, like all retail, not in your control.

It only works if you work it...
    If you don't believe in following a corporate plan, policies and procedures, don't bother. :)

Keep up the amazing leaps in technology and customer service.

Feb 26, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for sharing your positive feedback! We are so happy to hear that you and your team are enjoying the benefits of being Sleep Number brand ambassadors! We thank you for all of your ... More

6. Ballooning sales goals

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easier sale as customers are extremely loyal and much of sales are to the installed base and referrals. The majority of the product line is very comfortable and well received by customers

Cons

Company overstates warranty, quality of sheets and constantly raises the sales goal bar without logical reasons. Pricing jumps from a modest price of $999 to $5000 very quickly.

Home delivery is mostly a 3rd party and very unreliable

Shed your ego and take input from employees. They are your best and least expensive consultants. Many management decisions are just awful or misguided. Recognize that in the theoretical marketing world, every idea is a good idea.

Mar 13, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We certainly appreciate your feedback and do our best to communicate the terms of our warranty as well as reasoning behind sales goals. Your ... More

7. Wonderful Product, Wonderful People, Wonderful Company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people--Customers and co-workers. This company is large, but feels like a small community. This company is full of talented wonderful people all the way from sales professionals to Shelly Ibach. The products is amazing and I love hearing how better sleep can affect one's life in such a positive way! Sleep Number is continually making positive changes to improve the customer experience and I feel that feedback is often well received.

Cons

Hours are sometimes long as a manager. Three person stores can be difficult to operate and work in.

Keep up the good work! I am so proud to work for this company. Continue to reward and value those who put the work in.

Feb 26, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying the corporate culture and innovation that we all share as Sleep Number brand ambassadors ... More

good job but some unfair policy's

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

it is a good product very expensive so if you make a sale its a pretty big deal beds start at $1000 decent pay and hours.

Cons

the weirdest thing is they have 20 minute up rotation so if you are working with a couple people you may never get a customer and the other people may have 2 3 or 4 customers and you havent got to help anyone it is stupid and very unfair. I have worked saturdays when 10 people came in to the store and i didnt get to wait on anyone because of the stupid 20 minute thing. I have talked with other commission sales people and they dont even believe me when i tell them about this stupid 20 minute up rule. it all is luck of the draw how can you not take turns and just be fair about it. it creates animosity amongst the employees clock watching it is just so stupid to bad otherwise it is a pretty good job.

get rid of this old rule and be fair to your employees.

Feb 19, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the up rotation. We are always evolving and improving our policies and processes in the stores and this feedback is incredibly valuable. I will make sure to ... More

Great product, bad leadership

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Niles, IL

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome scheduling and environment. Great product and sales experience

Cons

Terrible micro management and under qualified / ineffective district / regional managers

Allow your employees to be more independent, only hire people qualified for upper-managements

Feb 13, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for providing the feedback on your experience with Sleep Number. We appreciate the input that you have provided regarding management and will be sharing this with the appropriate parties.

10. Innovative, forward thinking company - top performers all around!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

High expectations with high rewards - if you are someone with solid interpersonal skills that truly loves our products then the sky is the limit career wise! This is not a SALES career, this is a career where you can change people's lives by solving their sleep problems (bed, bedding, pillows, etc). This is a very personal, highly rewarding career.

Cons

Retail hours - but that is not something that was a surprise. Everyone is told about the various hours needed before coming on board.

I would enjoy more store to store or region to region communication. Sometimes you get lost in your own four walls and it's always welcome to hear what others are doing that could be used in my own store.

Feb 13, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

We truly appreciate all that you do to create the ultimate experience for our customers! We appreciate your feedback as well on the communication piece between stores and regions and will share this ... More

11. This Company improves lives!

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company with a drive to make things better and to always be striving to offer people a way to improve their quality of life through better sleep. The passion and cohesiveness of this company to work together to achieve sales and operational goals is fantastic. The culture of this company is unique and store, district, and region, are very competitive. It is a great place to work, especially when you are a true believer in all the product offered.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours due to big holiday sales but it is well worth it in the end. No complaints about compensation. There is always a contest offered of an incentive to help motivate you to drive sales. Internal promotions are based on performance and your ability to work well with all team members.

There has been a tremendous amount of success along the way. I think it is smart to invest more time into actually identifying what is driving business and why. There is a great deal of opportunity to find and internally promote the best candidates instead of the most popular. I encourage the management team to always invest the time to discover or learn the right answers. Stay on the path to go from Good to Great!

Feb 6, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed your time with Sleep Number and felt the drive that we have to improve lives!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos