Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Reset
3.1
Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly political among upper management (in 16 reviews)

• Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Easy work, great environment, very relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Holiday hours, a lot of nights

Advice to Management

Read emails

Great company to start your sales career.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Well over paid for what you do. In all reality, you sit on your butt for a majority of your day, make a few (20 maybe) phone calls and rely mostly on walk in customers. Training is continual and well though out.

Cons

Sr. Management (district manager and above) changes too often. I had, in 4 years, three different Regional Managers, and 5 District Managers. They would rather hire from out side the company for open management positions. To prove my point, I quit in 2008 for a sales managers position at a large national gym. I was hired back to Select Comfort, by the Same regional manager to be a store manager, because "now you have management experience." Unfortunately, the commission structure changed 3 times while I was there, each time they told us it was"the same amount, just different." Not true, each time they made a change I lost on average $10k per year. I made more my 2nd year than I did my final year as a sales rep despite selling more units with a higher price per unit than my 2nd year.

Advice to Management

Understand that you can be a sales company and increase sales, or a retail company. Pay your sales people well, and sales will go back up. While your stock has beat its pre recession price, your employees are not making what they did pre recession. I was granted lots of stock at $20 per share, but purchased a large amount at $.25 per share, thank you Mr McLaughlin, but now its time you take care of your employees.

3. Week 2 and so far so good!

Current Employee - Digital Community Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Digital Community Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only just started my job here with Select Comfort HQ and already I feel welcomed and connected to the team. Everyone is very goal-driven and passionate about what they do and how they can help other advance and achieve. The company culture is dynamic, challenging and rewarding.

Cons

So far, I haven't experience too many cons. I'd say the only thing that is lacking is the employee cafeteria's selection of foods on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. great store atmosphere

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is so friendly and the customers are really happy when they leave

Cons

salary is low but the economy is bad...

Advice to Management

talk to your staff more, be personable

6. It was a great 6 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, and great time dealing with customers

Cons

The mall hours are long and even longer in the holidays. When I worked there a lot of changes, but things have improved over time for them

Advice to Management

Keep improving.

7. Coming to work and changing lives everday makes Sleep Number a great place to build a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong customer-driven culture Exceptionally talented group of employees Amazing product that improves people's lives

Cons

Highly competitive landscape necessitates fast pace of change but adds to the excitement

Advice to Management

Continue to live your mission and vision everyday

8. Sleep Number is one of the top 6 fastest growing retailers in the US.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sleep Number offers an exciting environment if you are looking for a progressive growing company and values their employees. We are innovative, offer products that improve the individual sleep experience, and contribute to individuals overall wellness. It is exciting to be part of a company that so far has made an impact on over 8 million lives. We are the 6th fastest growing retailer in the US. Sleep Number employees are passionate about the product and our work; you can feel partnership throughout the company as we work together towards a common goal. Everyday we challenge ourselves to excel, deliver an amazing product and a superior customer experience. Sleep Number offers flexibility in work schedules; generous discounts on products and a business casual environment all at our beautiful new facility complete with an onsite cafe and gym. Sleep number employees are rewarded because they are recognized for their accomplishments and challenged as professionals.

Cons

I cannot think of one.

Advice to Management

Sleep Number has a strong leadership team that is highly visable and approachable.

Exciting opportunities with a growing company

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Plymouth, MN

Pros

Great people. Smart leaders. Awesome products that really live up to their benefits. Growing company with many opportunities to make a difference in your career and in the development of the company.

Cons

Very process-oriented corporate culture; too much at times. Should try to operate more like a start-up, and give more autonomy to employees.

Advice to Management

Be more nimble; don't be afraid of mistakes; let your employees have more freedoms to take things and run with them; don't stress so much over everything aligning to a strategy. Sometimes, you have to do things because it's right, no necessarily because there's a strategy attached to it.

10. great opportunities available at growth company that allows for work / life balance

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

great opportunities for growth in matrixed organization growing at a rapid pace, management cares about employees and culture, good work / life balance, great products

Cons

i have no cons to share

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

11. A great place to make a difference!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The environment is welcome to new ideas, expects your opinion and suggestions on how to improve our processes, and demands us to give our best for our customers.

Cons

I wish I would have joined the company earlier!

Advice to Management

Keep informing us of what is coming and challenging us to be our best.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Oct 1, 2013 – Human Capital

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. Your feedback is certainly appreciated!

RSS Feed </> Embed