Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated January 17, 2015
Updated January 17, 2015

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

A severe culture decline over the last few years

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

They are an 'out with old in with the new' company these days. Do not try and bring your personality or ideas with you.

Listen to the advice and recommendation of the professionals at the management level.

Jan 16, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I'm sorry if you felt that your ideas and recommendations were not heard or acted on. Should you wish to further discuss your concerns please feel ... More

Floater=sewer/inspecter/zipper cell/double serger/coverlets/v-tech/pinner

Former Employee - Floater in Irmo, SC
    Former Employee - Floater in Irmo, SC

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They dont mind letting you learn to do different things. Act all friendly to your face or while you are letting them make you work 4 or 5 different jobs in one night.

Cons

will not pay you what you are worth. will hire new people on and start them off making more money than the workers that have been there 3 years. If you aint in the "Buddy Buddy system" you are going NO WHERE. Supervisors have their pick of who is getting a certain job even before such job is posted and will start training that person before the job is posted, so that when it is posted, Their pick is already qualified for the job.Supervisors should step up and make their own decisions instead of listening to the line leads who are playing the system

Make some major changes at this plant.Make line leads learn every job on their line.

Jan 2, 2015Human Capital Operations Specialist

We appreciate your review and are disappointed that you did not have a good experience in our Irmo plant. Your feedback will be further reviewed here at the home office. Thank you again for taking ... More

Poorly run.

Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money can be good at times but usually not. Store was close to my home so travel time was good.

Cons

Too many to list. Poor management from top to bottom. Upper management does not care about you or your family. Bottom line is all that matters. If you were lucky enough to hit your goal they just raise it the next month so it's impossible to hit again. Then if you don't hit your goal you get written up, too many write ups and you're fired. You are told that you will get a work schedule a few weeks in advance but usually it's only a few days before that month begins, also the schedule is always subject to change so good luck making plans to do anything. If you have a family especially small children look elsewhere for a job because you will never see them. I had to come home early from being out of town on vacation because my district manager decided last minute to have a meeting and everyone had to be there. Bottom line... This place is not a good place to work unless you like long hours with little payoff and no time for your family.

Care about your employees. They're not just names on a print out, they are people with lives and families. Pay more for the work they do.

Worst company to work for, they do not care about their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is in a good location (corporate office).

Cons

Management is horrible. The company policies are disgusting, it is like being in Kindergarten again. My teen age daughter gets treated with more respect at her job that I do. Expected to do "catch up work" during your breaks and lunch, or you get talked to. No communication between management and employees, management is NEVER around to help out with questions/issues/problems. You get paid very little for what is expected of you.

Communicate with your employees. Be around to help.

Dec 12, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties within the organization.

Everything should work, nothing does.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great Discount on beds. Not much management oversight if you're not one of the few bottom performers. However, this also means you don't get time to work on career development.

Cons

Poor leadership follow-through. Changes are not communicated, are compartmentalized, and ever changing. New products launch without testing, troubleshooting is expected to be flawless when the troubleshooting changes daily. Company expects you to post big numbers while providing no support.

First five years was great last two a nightmare. TOO much stress... threats constantly!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people sleep better. No other ++++

Cons

Too much pressure, corporate never happy, you can seel over quota, but they are still not happy because you did sell certain items. Always lieing to employees about advertising or when things will occur. No promotion path.

Fire Regional VPs they are all liers and never have an answer.

The most horrific company from Hell that you could imagine!!!

Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, but over priced!
    A lot of great customers.

Cons

Enormous employee turnover at stores...RUN
    Horrible management.....Run
    Uses lies and intimidation tactics......RUN
    Report anything to HR and they share with RM so you get put on black list no matter what.
    This is their mantra....you're replaceable no matter what...even if you did everything expected of you.....RUN
    Store mgrs take every advantage they can and aren't held accountable for anything.
    Ups system is not fair...vacation time unfair and you'll never get it. ...RUN
    Whatever they tell you in interview are lies!!!
    All propaganda...first couple weeks they're decent....then the boom drops...Could write book of cons, but won't. In a nutshell....they only care about the bottom line because of the tremendous GREED....not their employees at all. You could be at deaths door....but get to work....no one to cover...it's your mgr day off.
    If you want a job in HELL...Work for SC.
          You'll be overworked, underpaid and treated like DIRT!!!

ALL OF YOU SHOULD RESIGN and be replaced by HUMANS!

Very, very, very boring and bad.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

If you like living in a fantasy land and like being a yes man or women it's the place for you.

Cons

One of the most horrible retail chains out there. Advertisment and smoke and mirrors are what make it stay afloat but that won't last forever. People will find out that it's only an air mattress that is still subject to mold like it's always been at a ridiculous price. Mattress has no support whatever. They now have upper management posing as managers and salespeople to leave positive comments on sites such as this. This is a fact. Some people are not able to get out that easily so they have to stay a bite their lip and say yes , yes, yes all day long. Their sales pitch is canned and they fail to tell you that although you can return your product you have to pay $200.00 to have it picked up that's after paying $180.00 to have it delivered. If you ask certain questions they will answer but you have to know to ask them or they wont offer the info. Stay away, stay far, far away.

It is much too late for any advice they seem to enjoy their self destructive ways. If there would be one piece it would be to look into the way Regional and District managers handle things. Out of control and no one to stop them.

Experienced Sales Professionals, Don't waste your time.
    This Job is for kids.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people get a better nights sleep is probably the best thing about working at Sleep Number. Working at Sleep Number helped me appreciate my previous sales job and helped me with my decision to go back. Thank You Sleep Number.

Cons

Very poor pay for all that you are required to do. $9/hr plus a 2.5%commission of sales to hit $50,000 or more in bed sales. Poor management and lack of corporate training. You are required as a sales person to clean bathrooms, dust, vacuum, clean windows, change light bulbs, change beds, change in-store signage, count inventory, pass audits, maintain paperwork, self train, and sale beds, pillows, blankets, sheet sets, etc.., for $9/hr and a 2.5% commission. The kicker is that you can earn an 8% commission if you hit 130% of your monthly goal. Sarcastic Wow! Don't waste your time with this company. Oh, forgot to tell you that Store Managers sale against their sales reps and also have a quota to hit, however they do not earn more than 2.5% commission. So to me their isn't any motivation to move up into management. Benefits are less than ideal, especially medical. You pay 100% of your doctors bill until you reach $2500 throughout the year before the company will cover a measly 80% of your doctors bill. Pathetic.

To upper management, train your store managers to train their new sales reps. Give realistic expectation on pay and benefits. Store managers need to work their shifts and provide support to the store and their team, not sale against them. Pay more commission, a 2.5% commission rate is insulting, especially for a product that's marked up 400% or more. Thank you for helping me realize what my real sleep number is, a 35, as in 35% commission for everything I sale. Now I can "Sleep Well". ;)

Wow! Manager was a great liar! Never in my over 40 years of working have I ever experienced such a horrible experience!

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort as an intern

Pros

The company product is great... I own two sleep number beds.

Cons

The interview was a joke. Manager promised a job and told me to call back. I called back and the guy acted like I was an foreigner or something. He was a complete liar. I can imagine how he treats his employees! I'm glad I didn't get hired.

Get rid of this type manager...they will kill your company!

Jul 7, 2014Human Capital

It's great to see that you enjoy your Sleep Number beds! It is important to us that our candidates receive the same type of experience our customers expect, so please reach out to ... More

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos