Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros:
  • "Great product with great concept and innovative product"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to work when the hours are available. Bad place because hours can be hard to come by.

Home Delivery Technician (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsNo direct supervision
    good employee discounts on products
    decent benefits
    For the most part stress free job
    Mattresses come in pieces so there is minimal heavy lifting
    Overall good paying job (during sales times)

ConsSome weeks you would get under 20 hours in the Rochester NY region
    Work with temporary laborers through Labor Ready and you are forced to do all the driving (can travel up to 4 hours away)
    Freight company (Conway Freight) is late 85% of the time so you are behind the 8 ball all day trying to catch up and stay in delivery windows
    With no direct supervision it is hard to get a hold of management (closest manger is in Pitssburgh PA)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement 100% needs to improve communication with the tech's.

Sleep Professional

Sleep Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-great coworkers
    -good product
    -good manager
    -the feeling that you are genuinely helping people
    -good work/life balance
    -good sales experience

ConsThere is no communication within the departments. Delivery issues take entirely too long to get resolved and the sales people are the ones who are punished for said issues.

The sales goals are completely unrealistic unless your manager is super chummy with your DM.

The sales that are run are not competitive with other similar companies. People want a discount with extended financing, not one or the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold delivery and logistics accountable for cancelled orders. Don't punish the sales staff when we have done our job. They should all be paid on delivery. That will ensure that deliveries are actually completed.

Budget the stores for how they are trending. You'll get more favorable results for the stockholders in the long run. You'll also have a happier sales staff because they will actually make money.

Stop adding all of the new innovations. It ultimately makes it more difficult to sell what people came there to get: the Sleep Number bed. Throwing everything at the customers turns them off and drives them to the competition.

People want to buy the product, but the sales offered need to be competitive with the other companies. There is value for their money here, but not when they feel like they are not getting the best price they possibly could.

Flag Review
    Sleep Number by Select Comfort Human Capital responded to this review Jul 7, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for providing your feedback. It's great to see that you enjoyed your work/life balance and felt that you were genuinely helping others. Your feedback regarding opportunities will be ... More

Wow! Manager was a great liar! Never in my over 40 years of working have I ever experienced such a horrible experience!

ProsThe company product is great... I own two sleep number beds.

ConsThe interview was a joke. Manager promised a job and told me to call back. I called back and the guy acted like I was an foreigner or something. He was a complete liar. I can imagine how he treats his employees! I'm glad I didn't get hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of this type manager...they will kill your company!

Flag Review
    It's great to see that you enjoy your Sleep Number beds! It is important to us that our candidates receive the same type of experience our customers expect, so please reach out to ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay.
    Flexible hours (Except holidays).
    Decent benefits.
    The Sleep Number Beds.

ConsHorrible upper management starting with District Managers.
    Quite often mall hours.
    Quite often located in a mall.
    Can be extremely stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting your District Managers be the Gustapo. They are less needed than everyone else in the chain of command. They are typically the biggest idiots with the least responsibilities.

This is a company that cares very little about their employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a good product

ConsAge discrimination within the company
    Store goals set 20% higher than previous year which makes them difficult to reach
    Upper management not in touch with sales people
    Very political environment If you don't know the right people there is no room for advancement
    Make sure your managers are able to take their vacation time
    CEO puts all of her cronies in top positions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to your store employees and know whats going on at the store level All you care about is $$$$$
    Your training tells up how we need to listen to each others needs but you do little of this

Flag Review
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. We would like to understand your concerns in more detail, so please reach out to Careers@selectComfort.com to connect with a Human Capital Representative.

The most disappointing, disconcerting and painful experience of my career.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

ProsThe products are amazing and they are of great value and great benefit to consumers. Product innovation is stellar. Benefits are good.

ConsStore Manager did not foster an environment of growth, did not implement company vision. The manager was not present - physically or mentally - much of the time (lack of support & guidance). I felt de-valued, demoralized, marginalized and exploited quite often. A co-worker and I had a conversation with DM re: abuses that went absolutely nowhere. As long as the numbers are there, management doesn't seen to care. I felt over-worked, under-appreciated and discounted even though I brought a lot that was positive to the position (customer service excellence, new ideas). There was a lack of communication, poor training and feedback, and abuses of scheduling and policy. I came into SN excited, thinking I'd found a home; but endured behavior, including unethical behavior, that no employee should have to endure. I left without finding a new position because my health and well- being were paramount and I was tired of being in distress. Also, in re: to goals, you only make serious money if you hit 120-140%+ of goal - often double digit increases and not necessarily reflective of economic factors. There are realistic goals and then there are fantasy goals. I also believe that a Store Manager should manage & lead, not be in competition with subordinates - the culture and sub-culture leave a lot to be desired. There is more I'd like to convey, but unfortunately, I would be writing several pages and I don't believe it truly matters because we're "replaceable".

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at some of your Store Managers and if Sales Professionals come to the DM or call corporate, be willing to listen and take a look rather than focus solely on numbers/dollars. If you want to be a great employer as well as a great brand, you've got some work to do, in my opinion.
    Management needs to execute the corporate Vision which, I believe, would create a more harmonious work environment at store level and positively impact morale and productivity.

Great place to change customer lives.

Sales Professional (Current Employee)

ProsI love to help customer to sleep better, I really mean that. If you are a good salesperson you make in mid 40's, great mid 50's, excellent 60-70's. Many times you make more than the manager of the store.

ConsMost of the "managers", aren't really a manager so to speak. They have no control over their goals, ordering, loss prevention, and basic running of the store. As I said above many sakes professional make more than the store managers. And many don't want the headache of being respossible for a store they have no control over. In my past, I have run store, so when an opening came up. I saw how much the past manager and other manager kissed the DM's butt, but talked behind her back how dumb she was. I had no desire to apply for the job, so the DM hired a friend of another manager store that brown noise a lot. The new manager had no manager experience, no commission sales experience, she was a sub-teacher at a school, but since she was friend with another manager. She told the DM to hire her. So right now, we have a manager who I would never hire for my store, and have she has no experience, no cash hanging, customer service experience. Many time she talks to employees as little kids, and thinks she has all the answer since she is the "manager".

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to sell, and have held some form of manager experience. And don't reward them when they can't make their goal every month, but all the sales team do more than 140% to the sales goal. To be honest it isn't the manager who us doung a good job. It us the sales team don't need her there.

Excellent organization

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExceptional pay, solid training, growth opportunity, extremely good product that actually delivers, sales orientation that is 100% customer oriented

ConsNot too many cons! Solid company

Worst job I have ever had.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, MN

ProsThe employee discount and a few coworkers.

ConsThis is the absolute worst customer service job I have ever experienced. They have the most ridiculous attendance policy I have ever seen. I saw people getting fired for getting in an accident on the way to work. The turnover is incredible. People get fired and storm out every day. There were also people crying at their desks and having panic attacks once a week. They never got the staffing right and we were slammed by constant calls. The entire year I worked there I was terrified of getting in an accident and being fired. almost impossible to take time off without it counting against you. Supervisors are either clueless or in meetings constantly. The only time anyone acknowledges your presence is when they are telling you about something you did wrong. The pay was low and I never saw a cent of the supposed bonuses. Terrible. One of the worst years of my life. I felt like worse than a faceless number.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down. You need to be replaced by someone who knows how to treat their employees better.

Flag Review
    Sleep Number by Select Comfort Human Capital responded to this review May 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for spending the time to provide your comments. Your review has been shared with the appropriate parties and will be considered as we review our policies and procedures in the Relationship ... More

Great job but not a great career.

Sleep Professional (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is good, the product you're selling is good. If you can sell, you'll make decent money off the commission. For the experienced, needs focused, retail salesperson this could be a great job.

ConsYou're only as good as your last sales quota. With an average of 20%+ sales increases from last year, the goals are a real stretch. Also don't believe them when they tell you they're going to increase advertising to help you achieve even higher comp increases, they've promised me that very thing at least 7 times and the increased advertising has always "fallen through" do to various reasons, however the increased goals remained. The training program is not effective. It is just training modules on the computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your Regional Trainers to train people instead of making training videos. When you've had the trainers out in the stores in the past, I've always seen results come from it. Also there is a widespread (nationwide from what I can tell) culture of telling you what you want to hear when it comes to how people are achieving success. I've heard, on more occasions than I can recall, store managers talk about how they achieved success on a manager conference call where they towed the company line. After the call, I spoke to them privately and they said they were just telling them what they want to hear because they don't want to hear the truth.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review and specific feedback. I have shared your opinion on how to best leverage our training department with the appropriate person.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Videos

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.